View Full Version : 37 Hrs from St. Maarten to Seattle

KWP
04-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Just got back from st. maarten in the carribean and AA failed to take 4 out of six bags on the way down there and they showed up 28 hrs later. The way back got to the airport at 5:15 am for a 7:45 am flight to stand in line for 2 1/2 hrs to find out flight was cancelled, finally got a new flight booked which was delayed 6 hrs and left St. Maarten at 7:30pm for san juan PR and lucky our connecting flight was delayed 3 hrs out of the 4 hr lay over they nicely scheduled for us and we barely made it after customs. Off to miami for more rude people at the counter and a roach motel for 3 hrs sleep with no luggage or bathroom stuff, got to the airport 2 hrs early from the hotel for seattle to find out that we had a stop in dallas when it was supposed to be non stop and had no seats from dallas to seattle with more attitude at the counter. Got to dallas and got our seats after the plane was boarded and all six of us were in middle seats and no where near eachother, finally got to seattle 23 hrs late and with no suprise another 4 bags short, next day still no bags and while I was writing this at 9:30 pm the next day the door bell rang and it was our luggage and the very first I'm sorry I heard the whole time and it was from a none AA employee. I'll never do it again and now I know what cattle feel like

Butch Cassidy Slept Here
04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
So now you know that the cheepo American Air fare wasn't worth the savings over going with Alaska Air. As you may know, if you board an Alaska plane in Miami they, sort of, have to take you to Seattle, since they don't serve any cities in-between.

Also, this is one of those trips where, for the sake of being certain you don't lose any time at your destination, you need to spend one night "on the road" each way. In this case, overnighting a Miami Airport, each way, will ensure you make your connection going, and that the congested US Customs/Immigration, in Miami, doesn't cause you to miss your connection on the return trip. Also, I'm sure if YOU picked-out a hotel in Miami, it wouldn't have those "roaches." By the way, those "roaches" are called "Palmetto bugs" in Florida. Yes, you can put a saddle on them, and they're disgusting.

Again, cheeper is not, always, better.

jimworcs
04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
It seems AA's appalling service is not the fault of AA, but the customer for not flying with another airline. How dare they expect any reasonable service from AA when they had a choice? That is a ridiculous reply and frankly the attitude in it reinforces the perception that the US, long admired for it's excellent customer service, seems to have lost it's way.

KWP
04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Do you think I would have flown AA if I knew the treatment I was gonna get!!! Do you buy a car when you know your gonna have problems with it? FYI it wasnt the cheapest ticket and I got there with no overnight stays and was supposed to come back the same. Oh ya, got my bags and things are stolen out of two of them to top it off!!!!!

sjs5572
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I empathize with you. Unfortunately, until a democratic president gets elected, who will sign off on a "Passenger Bill of Rights," we will continue to get screwed.... just like we get screwed by the credit card companies.

We have deregulated ourselves into service oblivion!

Butch Cassidy Slept Here
05-01-2008, 01:29 AM
KWP:

I apologize. Believe it, or not, the intention in my previous post was to warn, not to be a critic. SJS5572 put it very well when he/she stated: “We have deregulated ourselves into service oblivion!” Accordingly, and to respond to Jim, yes, we have a right to expect better service from US-based airlines. However, until such time as the US Dept. of Transportation (“DOT”) institutes a significant amount of re-regulation of US-based airlines, Americans will continue to suffer with an out-of-control Pandora, which was let out of its box by de-regulation. Thus, my previous post had such circumstances in mind.

Indeed, in one of my “profiles,” (see link below) I advocate using Amtrak whenever circumstances permit. Obviously, a trip from Seattle to St. Maarten is NOT one of those circumstances! So, when air travel, with a US-based airline, is unavoidable one should lean toward those airlines which appear to inflict the least “damage.” This may involve spending a lot of extra money; traveling by an indirect routing; staying overnight at some point prior to your destination; or “all of the above.” As an example, Continental Air has been noted as having the lowest number of complaints against US-based airlines of similiar age. However, a trip, from Seattle to St. Maarten, on Continental, requires a routing through Newark, NJ

The source for my statements about the quality of US-based airlines is from a study done by the University of Nebraska, and WichitaStateUniversity. The findings of said study can be found at: http://aqr.aero/aqrreports/2008aqr.pdf (http://aqr.aero/aqrreports/2008aqr.pdf) . What is revealing about this report is the comparison of complaints between the older airlines and those airlines which began flying within the past 35 years. Jet Blue, for example, reports a complaint figure .78 complaints per 100,000 passengers carried, against American’s 1.65 complaints for the same number of passengers.

My “profile,” and travel tips, can be found at:

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=GrwbhxUAAACinYb86dApt7knSgVFOuWPq zRhxtjUo7PylW0wCVGllQ (http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=GrwbhxUAAACinYb86dApt7knSgVFOuWPq zRhxtjUo7PylW0wCVGllQ)