PDA

View Full Version : Flight cancelled twice, forced to stay in hotel, no voucher!

JennaD44444
09-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Here is my complaint letter I am sending to Delta:

Delta Air Lines, Inc.
P.O. Box 20706
Atlanta, Georgia 30320-6001

September 26, 2008

RE: Return trip from Salt Lake City, UT
Confirmation Number XXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam;

We are writing you to let you know about an unpleasant experience we had with your airline just two weekends ago. We originally had booked to fly from Newark to Salt Lake City on 9/11/08 and return on 9/15/08 at 4:00pm. However on July 2nd we were informed that our return flight had been cancelled and we were rebooked on a new flight that included a connection. We called up Delta and found that there was a direct flight on 9/15/08 at 10:00am (#1260) and we decided that although we were now losing the whole day in Salt Lake City, we’d rather go direct than have a layover.

We rebooked on flight #1260 which was scheduled to leave at 10:00am on 9/15/08. At approximately 8:00am in morning on 9/15/08 we received a voicemail on my husband’s cell phone stating that our flight had been cancelled due to a mechanical error and we were changed to a non-direct flight on 9/16/08 (the following day) which stopped over in Atlanta. We did not want to spend another day in Salt Lake City and wanted to fly direct so we called up to see what our other options were. At the time we called we complained about having to spend another day in Salt Lake City and pay for hotel, food, airport parking in Newark, etc. and asked if there was any way to get out on a flight that day or have our expenses paid for. The answer was no. The only option was a red-eye flight to JFK which did not work because our car was parked at the Newark airport. We did switch to a better option, connecting through Cincinnati, OH but overall we paid for a direct flight and were unhappy about this connection. When we asked again if we could get our extra days worth of expenses paid for we were told they could not do that over the phone and that we had to speak to someone at the ticket counter.

On Wednesday, 9/16/08 we asked a lady at the ticket counter about having our hotel and expenses paid for and we were told the most she could give was a $50 voucher each. She told us to call customer cares (1-800-325-8224) and see if Delta could do anything more and so we did and were told they would give us $100 vouchers each maximum. This however did not appease us and so I am writing this letter to explain how unhappy we are.

My major complaints are that we had our flight cancelled twice on us and the second time we were forced to take a non-direct flight which was an inconvenience. (We paid for direct flights, and expected to remain on direct flights.) Secondly, we both had to call our offices and take an additional day off from work, which ultimately costs us more money, as this is a vacation day we will not get back. Thirdly, we had to spend additional money on a hotel room on 9/15/08 as well as lunch and dinner and on 9/16/08 breakfast and lunch again AND an additional day of long term parking for our car in Newark. I was not able to save my receipts, however I attached a copy of our American Express Bill which will outline the charges made on 9/15/08 and 9/16/08.

(Listed here will be expenses we incurred...hotel, parking, food, etc)

On a side note, I would like to add that we recently faced a similar situation when flying on American Airlines and were forced to stay an extra day in St. Lucia. American gave us vouchers to stay at all-inclusive resort where we had three meals included and we were also given a breakfast voucher the next morning when we got to the airport. It would be nice if your airline would have or could still do something similar for us.

Please let me know if there is anything you can do for us that would be better than $100 each. We are both very upset about this incident and normally love flying with Delta, however this has left a bad taste in our mouth.