View Full Version : oping my i's are dotted & my t's are crossed

12-17-2008, 04:06 AM
I am hoping that I have covered all the basics of modern day travel & apologize to those that find this too long. I fly approx 1x every 1.5 yrs & have noted the changes in airline policy & service. I have read the disappointment of other travelers – some w/ legitimate issues, while some complaints were only entertaining (or annoying)…

I am flying from Dec 22nd thru the 30th- first class. These are my prep plans; let me know what I am forgetting J

1) Flying 1st: Not b/c I expect a gold carpet, but b/c I hope it will ease my travels by providing larger seats, no baggage cost (w/in the weight & size limits), free drinks, a not-so-good meal, & expedited assistance when/if a flight is canceled. This is the season for bad weather….fa..la..la- flying to the northeast!
-Also the roundtrip cost for two tickets (minus cost of baggage, food, & drinks) was approx. $400 more roundtrip for 2 people. I am willing to pay that as I don’t take a yearly vacation.
2) I bought insurance. Yes, as well as pay the first class fee’s I spent an extra “$68” (which includes my husband & myself)! My husband will be upset- until something goes wrong- then he will thank me! Instead of going w/ Us Airs recommendation, I stuck to my AX site, which was MUCH cheaper. For $68 I have coverage for trip cancellation, flight delay ($400/night for a hotel etc; 200/person for 2 nights), & baggage delay/lost (delay is $300 each for me & my husband or $1,000 each for lost baggage).
3) I am traveling w/ my small dog (already made & verified reservations). Although US does not request a health certificate, I am getting 1 anyway incase our airline is changed to a diff airline. Also incase of a delay, I have written down all the info needed for a Pet friendly hotel at our stop over’s: on the way & the return from Pittsburgh (phily & charlotte). I am a starwood customer & have all their info to contact for a stay incase I am flown to a different city (yes, I have read the reports here-thank you).

As far as I know the only extra plans I can make is----get to the airport on time &, no matter how annoyed, smile! I will keep all updated to how my pre-plans worked or didn’t work. I know it stinks when airlines charge for flight changes, etc, but that is the business life- they are a business…

I’ve had to change two flights in the last 3 yrs (bought through Expedia): I flew out to make arrangements for my Sister’s funeral & then I flew out to complete her estate & deal w/ the court case (she was murdered). Both times I needed to extend my stays, I believe the 1st trip was AA & the 2nd was United. When I was informed of the price changes, I paid them. I bought tickets I could afford & didn’t haggle for a better “deal”. That to me is not a legitimate complaint…

Eagleguy
12-17-2008, 06:34 AM
1. Call 24 hrs ahead to reconfirm your flight schedule, ticketed status, and seat assignments.
2. Call again before you leave the house and check the weather map.
3. Take all keys, medication, cell phones, and immediate necessities with you.
4. Check-in online 24 hrs beforehand.
5. Verify the liquid containers in your carry-on luggage.
6. Make sure your government issued identification is still valid.
7. Bring some sort of sustenance with you just in case of delays so you don't have to pay outrageous airline/airport prices.
8. Make a list of contents in your baggage, in case something is pilfered you have a record.
9. Reread the fine print on your itinerary and make sure you're not flying on a codeshare flight.
10. Put your name and phone number on the inside and outside of your luggage. Don't include your address, because if someone else picks up your bags, they know you're on "vacation" and not at home. Leave an office address or neighbour's address if you must.
11. Verify all requirements for a carry-on pet, including kennel size. I once had to delay a flight due to a kennel not being completely closable.
12. Be at the gate at least 30 minute prior to scheduled departure and stay put. If you don't see a gate agent at the podium, recheck the flight board to see if there is a gate change.
13. If anything doesn't go as planned, be as sweet as pie. The agents have been bruised and battered and someone being nice to them during a trying situation goes a long way.

Anything else?

12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
2. Call again before you leave the house and check the weather map.
3. Take all keys, medication, cell phones, and immediate necessities with you.
4. Check-in online 24 hrs beforehand.
5. Verify the liquid containers in your carry-on luggage.
6. Make sure your government issued identification is still valid.

Anything else?

Thanks Eagleguy! & LOL

-Yes, I plan to check in early online, calling airline, & checking the schedule for weather (especially as there is a winter snow land going on right now!).
-Medicine, keys, etc, will be in carry on bags, ID is good, going beyond the airlines requirements for my dog (Sherpa bag, already called about size requirements, & health cert, etc)...
-No code share, ID good, planning to get to the airport 3 hrs early (holiday travel time), good w/ liquids & quart size bag, health bars in case of desperation,

Thanks for the reminder about the info (put inside my baggage as outside it-w/out an address) I will definitely make sure to! Are you saying to make a list before we leave? AS I have some expensive shoes/boots I will take photos (OCD-anyone). Luckily the baggage insurance I have only requires 25% to have receipts/info. ...but I am anal anyway :o

Ahh, & I will be smiling like the cheesiest ...well cheese anything... mac & cheese, grilled cheese, quiche....etc :rolleyes:

12-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Which weather map do you suggest I check? Thanks!

Leatherboy2006
12-18-2008, 02:07 AM
1. Check weather.com and remember the plane you are flying on maybe coming from somewere else that is having weather problems before making the trip that is your flight.
2. Learn a lesson from a BIG mistake I made once. put your phone charger in your carry on. I got stuck once during a thundarstorm and put my charger in my checked bag...needless to say my battery went dead, if i had, had my charger I could have plugged it in at the airport.
3. I also have email and internet on my cell phone (via Verizon) great assest if needing to look up hotels or other things (I can also pull weather up on it), plus for calling airlines reservations if there is a major delay or cancelled flight. Especially with how nasty the weather has been in the country the last couple of days with ice and snow in many areas (and some that hardly ever see snow---New Orleans last week).
Have a great trip :)

12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks Leatherman. I have already checked out the site & it is very convenient to review flight & weather info.

Hopefully after my trip I will be able to post a positive review on here & other airline sites. W/ the nasty weather on the east coach, & the not so pleasant weather here in San Diego, I am treating this trip w/ an adventurous attitude -especially as I purchased flight (etc) insurance. Okay US, get me there by Christmas, I am giving you 3 days. Also try not to keep me too long so my parking fees skyrocket.

I am relieved to see the complaints for US have slowed. It gives me an optimistic attitude for the trip. Holiday cheers to all! ;)

Eagleguy
12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
All right, it is the 23rd. How did your voyage go?