View Full Version : Help with a disaster AA 121, AA172

12-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I am from New York but have been living in Sweden for 14years. I never flew an American carrier until now, and what a difference! I donīt know how AA can compete with European carriers.
I started my trip on 10 Dec 2008 from Gothenburg to Paris with Air France. Then I connected with AA in Paris to New York. Upon arrival at JFK 1 of 2 bags made it.
On 22 Dec I was to fly back to Europe. Leaving from JFK to Brussels and connecting with SABENA ailines to Gothenburg. After the boarding process was completed at JFK we sat at the gate while they checked the air pressure in the tires, didnīt they have time to do that prior to our departure time!?!?! I ended up missing the connection with Sabena and AA booked me with SAS from Brussels to Copenhagen then to Gothenburg. The AA staff assured me that my bags would be forwarded to my SAS flight and that I needed only to show up at the gate. I got yelled at by SAS because I didnīt check in even though I was assured by AA I didnīt have to check in. Once again upon my arrival 1 bag made it and the other did not. Not only did I lose money on a train ticket from Gothenburg to my final destination I couldnīt even get the bonus miles on my BA milage club card because the self-check in machines I was FORCED to use would not accept my BA millage card. It is Christmas day at the time of this posting and I am still waiting for my last piece of luggage.
Does anyone have any advice as to what action I can take and with who?

azstar
12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
When your luggage does not arrive with you, file a delayed baggage report with the airline that you flew to your destination. They are responsible for handling your claim, not the airline that originally checked your baggage. In the U.S., your delayed baggage will be delivered to you when it arrives. Checked baggage usually arrives eventually unless the destination tag gets ripped off. So, it's important that you file a claim with SAS in GOT and they can contact you and arrange for pickup/delivery of your luggage when they get it.

countrynewsman
12-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm a little confused. SAS staff yelled at you, yet you say European carriers are the best. I am also wondering if the bag problem might have been with Air France (Take a Chance...Fly Air France.) on the one end and SAS on the other. Isn't that a possibility? I do feel that AA gave you bad info when they advised you not to check in with SAS. Wouldn't you have to show a passport on check in when you're flying from one country to another?

12-26-2008, 02:15 AM
Countrynewsman-I have not flown SAS since they only fly to Newark and that is way way out of my way. I do know this............if they start to fly to Kennedy, I wonīt take them. What I mean by European carriers is, real coffee cups, more food,hot towels or towelettes, mid flight snacks, free booze! AA $6 fo a drink, styrofoam cups, minimal meal, no mid flight snack...........I thought for a while I was flying from NY to Peoria not Paris to NY!

jimworcs
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Both Denmark and Sweden are in the EU Schengen area, so it is not necessary to show passports when travelling between these countries.

countrynewsman
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM

I stand corrected.

Eagleguy
12-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I think what the AA staff meant was, "Show up at the gate, and check-in to get your boarding pass" As in, you don't have to exit security and go back to the ticket counter.

12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Correct. Because of the Scengen rule. But still, how difficult is it to say "please check in at the gate"? Not very difficult in my opinion

Leatherboy2006
12-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey whats wrong with Peoria,(Illinois) less snobby attitude then Paris and nice friendly folks, heck they would have given you a cup of coffee and a meal and some good conversation :)
Plus they bathe and use deteroiant (and the woman shave their pits)