View Full Version : Not again. Ever.

12-28-2008, 03:48 AM
We just returned from a trip to Germany, the return flight was on US Airways. The route on Dec 23rd, 2008, was Munich > Philadelphia > Dallas.

We regularly fly to Germany but usually go Lufthansa. This time, seduced by really low ticket fares, we decided to try US Airways. I guess you get what you pay for. Apart from a poor entertainment program, bad monitor display and lousy food, my deal breaker for this airline definitely are the flight attendants.

Personally I felt like I was on a prisoner transport. With the exception of one flight attendant named David (on the MUC > PHL flight) who was semi-friendly, all others were rude, not well groomed, never smiled, rarely looked at the passengers at all, and at every possible occasion yelled orders at passengers. They usually used the speaker system and screamed so loudly that the sound was actually distorted on a few occasions.

I am used to flight attendants on American carriers being way more unfriendly than on European or Asian airlines, but the behavior of these US Airways flight attendants reached a new level of horrid. Having orders barked over the speakers on the top of their lungs such as (verbatim) "You are to remain seated!!!" "Do not get up!!" was actually pretty scary.

And since the behavior was consistent on both flights, on the ground in Munich and Philly, and when trying to talk to Customer Service over the phone, I suspect that they either have a very wide-spread problem or that this behavior is sanctioned off by US Airways Executive Management.

Either way - luckily I have a choice and will never fly this airline again.

Corbel
12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
first of all im going to say im sorry you had such a bad experience. Usairways isn't my first carrier of choice either but when i flew them home from frankfurt i loved it. flight attendants were great, food was good and loved the on demand personal tv system. the only reason i can think of that they told you to remain seated and not to get up was because the seatbelt sign was on, and after telling people over and over again gets really annoying...and the way you describe it the flight attendants decided to snap, which they shouldn't have, i dont know why some people cant just listen. its on for a reason....your safety. but i think the best airline to fly to germany as you stated is either United (on their 777) or Lufthansa (they seem to be good, i just dont like that they dont have a personal tv in their coach class seating, and their food isn't that great)

Leatherboy2006
12-28-2008, 04:36 PM
The only time I have ever heard a flight attendant scream get seated now was after the capt. had ordered them to the seats and they had told us to to return to our seats. a couple of idoits decide it was time to get up and open the overhead bin, they flight attendant screamed over the pa to close that bin now and sit. she barely had it out of her mouth when we hit bumps that would rival a rollar coaster. needless to say one of the few injuries was the jerk who opened the bin and the man who had the jerks bag fall on him from the overhead.

Silent Bob
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Ha! leatherboy a similar situation happened to me on continental when I was returning from san francisco. We hit some rough patches coming (I believe it was snowing) and as the Flight attendent was making an announcement about the situation and all the turbulence, a guy decides to get up and use the bathroom, so she made a point to announce "And I'd also like to thank the guy in the back, who just got up eventhough we are going through all this turbulence and the seat belt sign is on, thank you" Of course everyone turned around and the guy sat back down. aahhhhh good times.....

01-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Personal on-demand TV system?! Uh - not on that flight... They didn't even have pull-down monitors overhead, just the big monitor at the bulkhead where the contrast was so dark that one couldn't even see any of the faces of the actors. Don't know how passengers managed who were sitting further in the back... Not that the one single movie they showed was worth it in the first place, followed by hours of old Frasier shows...

Also, yes, of course it was bumpy. But what was that little old lady to do who was seventy-something years old (guesstimate on my part) who eventually needed to go to the lavatory after having stayed put for close to 2 hours? Pee in her seat? I have been on many flights, domestically als well as internationally but I have never ever had flight attendants bark and scream orders like these folks did. This is where training and professionalism comes in, IMHO. If a flight attendant can't handle situations like these well, how on earth is he/she going to cope with a real emergency? And this wasn't my first bumpy flight either where someone needed to go to the bathroom... I never ever witnessed such screaming before.

As a matter of fact, on my last flight to Germany with Lufthansa in Aug 08, I had a conversation with one of the flight attendants because a group of tourists had "congregated" a few rows behind us. They got increasingly louder and almost started to sing songs. After I mentioned to the flight attendant that this wasn't allowed on, let's say, American, she replied with a smile(!): "It really isn't allowed here either. But I am required to be polite and if I am too harsh and someone complains about me, I am in trouble." While I recognize that safety is very important, so are manners. Please remember that many people don't fly all the time, are tired, stressed out and/or plain confused with all the new things around them. Don't treat the elderly and infrequent flyers like criminals, is all I am asking. If Lufthansa can do this, so can US Airways.

01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
One other comment: The food on US Air was so nothing to write home about either :-) (in response to the comment on the LH food...)

PHXFlyer
01-03-2009, 04:19 AM
About your complaint to remain seated during turbulence. A few years ago a USAir flight (then America West) encountered severe turbulence and two flight attendants who were in the galley suffered broken legs as a result. If the USAir FA's are a bit severe in enforcing the seatbelt sign during periods of expected turbulence maybe it is because their co-workers suffered injuries as a result and don't want their passengers to endure the same pain. I would think that a 70+ female passenger would be even more susceptible to a broken bone injury. Better she pees in the seat than breaks her pelvis.

01-03-2009, 04:44 AM
It seems that I have not done a good enough job here to state my point. What I was and am trying to say is that I do not oppose the flight attendants trying to do their jobs. But I would like them to be polite and professional. Otherwise - why not grab someone off the street, put him/her in a uniform and let them be US Air staff?

That is really all I was trying to say. Of course you cannot let people roam around in conditions like that. No argument here. This was all about the way they handled the situation, not that they handled it.

Felt I should clarify this.

About the peeing - just as long as you and I are not the next passengers seated in that particular seat, right?! :-)

PHXFlyer
01-03-2009, 05:08 AM
OK - I get you BUT you know as well as I do that if the point isn't communicated in an authoritative manner than there are some who will think "it's no big deal, I'll just get up as I please." Turbulence can be dangerous. Many people don't realize that those little jolts they feel in-flight are actually the result of altitude changes of 50-100 ft or more. That's like traveling in an elevator 5-10 stories in less than a second. If the crew tells me to sit down and strap in, I comply. If the crew themselves are sitting down and strapped in I put all bodily functions on hold until that seatbelt light is released.

Leatherboy2006
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
As to the flight attendant on LH saying they had to be polite about telling the passengars to sit and not congrate, maybe if Germany had lost 4 airplanes on terrorist attacks and that flight attendant had lost co-workers and friends, (s)he might have a different attitude about passengars in a group.

jimworcs
01-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Leatherboy, LH has suffered from terrorism and had a plane hijacked, I think from memory to Mogadishu. This is not about terrorism here..this is about the manner in which FA's talk to passengers. Not everything can be justified by the trauma of 9/11.

countrynewsman
01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I have also experienced turbulence where the flight attendants are told to stay in their seats. A passenger will get up to head for the lav while the airplane is dancing around in the sky. At that point, a polite, "Excuse me, I don't wish to disturb you, but would you terribly mind if I asked you to kindly remain in your seat?" Frankly, if they instead say, 'SIT THE F*** DOWN!", I would applaud. They are endangering me and my family by becoming a flying projectile in the cabin.

Corbel
01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
im a flight attendant and had to get pretty loud with a few passengers that just refuse to listen. flew JFK-port of spain-JFK, landed back in JFK and we were still moving and people stood up to grab things out of the overhead bins, made an announcement "please remain seated we are still on an active taxi way" most sat down, again repeated that announcement...finally had to get loud "Sir, i told you to please sit down" had to scream it. same with the bathroom...i have flown up and fell down many times due to turbulence.

why is it so hard for some people to follow simple instructions?? especially if its for their safety

uvwx726
01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Q: Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?A: He lay awake at night wondering if there really was a dog. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................warhammer gold (http://www.warhammergold119.com/) warhammer gold (http://www.warhammergold119.com/warhammer-gold-us) lotro gold (http://www.warhammergold119.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-EU)lotro gold (http://www.warhammergold119.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online) lineage 2 adena (http://www.warhammergold119.com/Lineage-2) http://www.warhammergold119.com