PDA

View Full Version : delayed takeoff

jeff murray
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
our flight from haiti to ft lauderdale was delayed, pilot says we will take off in a minute but first they have to come back to the plane and put more fuel in just in case we get to florida and are subject to bad weather and need the extra fuel to taxi until there oked to land, niether happened, we were delayed for about 40 minutes and got to ft lauderdale and the weather was fine and there was no taxi time and landed, every one was slow to get off and we missed our flight to detroit, the girl at the counter at aa was rude and incociderate about are delays and our group of 6 people were stuck in ft lauderdale trying to find a airline to get us to grandrapids so one of our group would,nt loose his job, aa owes us big time for the trouble they caused, last time this happened we were in a group of 33 our entire family headed to ireland and conntinental airlines supported our delay put us all up in a hotel, gave us all 20 $ and 200$ each for air bucks and one that didnt make the trip gave 1200$ in comp. where is american airlines help on this matter....jeff murray

PHXFlyer
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
our flight from haiti to ft lauderdale was delayed, pilot says we will take off in a minute but first they have to come back to the plane and put more fuel in just in case we get to florida and are subject to bad weather and need the extra fuel to taxi until there oked to land,

I think the term you are looking for is "circling" or in a h olding pattern until cleared to land.

niether happened, we were delayed for about 40 minutes and got to ft lauderdale and the weather was fine and there was no taxi time and landed

OK, so nothing happened - but aren't you glad you had the extra fuel just in case there was a delay in landing? Remember, safety first. Had the pilot not taken on the extra fuel and there were arrival delays at FLL you would have been diverted - probably to MIA or PBI.

every one was slow to get off and we missed our flight to detroit, the girl at the counter at aa was rude and incociderate about are delays and our group of 6 people were stuck in ft lauderdale trying to find a airline to get us to grandrapids so one of our group would,nt loose his job, aa owes us big time for the trouble they caused, last time this happened we were in a group of 33 our entire family headed to ireland and conntinental airlines supported our delay put us all up in a hotel, gave us all 20 $ and 200$ each for air bucks and one that didnt make the trip gave 1200$ in comp. where is american airlines help on this matter....jeff murray

I guess I'm not really sure what happened because your post is rather vague after this point. You mention hotel rooms from another unrelated experience but as far as this trip were you forced to stay overnight in FLL because of this delay or did everyone get back to DTW later that evening? I'm assuming so since there was no mention of your friend losing his job.

If your delay was only a few hours about the most you could have expected were some food vouchers for your delay in FLL. You did mention that weather in Miami was the cause for them to take on more fuel so if they deemed the arrival delay from Haiti was due to weather then all bets are off for any compensaton whatsoever. It sounds like the slow de-planing of passengers was also a factor and AA realy has no control over that. What would you have them do? Shout at people to rush them off the plane?

Also, if you want your story to have any credibility, please post the dates and flight numbers involved. Thanks.

Jetliner
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
As to taking on extra fuel they have to go by the forecast weather. Remember, you are dealing with Florida. It's nothing for it to be rainging cats and dogs, and an hour later it's sunny. They took on extra fuel IN CASE the weather was bad. As it turns out it was not. But if they took the time to return to the gate, then the weateher was definatly expected to be a potential issue.

Leatherboy2006
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Considering the way people from Haiti are no wonder it took them long to deplane.
Also was your connection from FLL on AA? Was it a separate ticket?

jimworcs
02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Considering the way people from Haiti are no wonder it took them long to deplane.

All people from Haiti? Or just 90% of them.. or maybe less... wouldn't want to stereotype an entire nation would we? Once you start down that route you start thinking everyone from Texas loves Bush!!

Leatherboy2006
02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
sorry jim only call them as I see them

countrynewsman
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Once you start down that route you start thinking everyone from Texas loves Bush!!

OUCH! My only complaint about Texas is that I'm too close (70 miles) to Crawford!
:D

Corbel
02-04-2009, 08:48 PM
when the pilot mentioned that he had to take on more fuel just in case of having to hold or whatever, the weather may have been bad then and there may have been talk of more storms in the area, just because it was clear,cloudy without storms or rain, when you landed it doesn't mean that there were never any storms around. its florida!! sorry you felt the delay for saftey wasn't worth getting delayed. and how can you blame AA for people getting off the plane slow?

PHXFlyer
02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Also was your connection from FLL on AA? Was it a separate ticket?

All people from Haiti? Or just 90% of them.. or maybe less... wouldn't want to stereotype an entire nation would we? Once you start down that route you start thinking everyone from Texas loves Bush!!

sorry jim only call them as I see them

Jim, Leatherboy might not be too far off the mark here. When I lived in NY I worked for a major telecommunications company and for a time in their fraud investigation department. We investigated calling card fraud, payphone manipulation (black boxes, physically breaking into payphones to make calls), clip phones used in apartment basements at the network interfaces, collect and third-party billing fraud, etc. I can tell you that at the time the #1 and #2 countries from which and to which fraudulent calls originated/terminated were Haiti and the Dominican Republic!

jimworcs
02-07-2009, 01:11 AM
You are right that there are "hotbeds" of dodgy activity, such as Nigeria,Haiti etc... but I think that this is more to do with the lack of proper regulatory environments or corrupt police/administration. It doesn't follow that all Haitians or Nigerians are like that. That was my only point.