View Full Version : Stranded Child

jendempsey
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
My husband and I travel a lot - as in 4-6 flights per week. We have been flying US Airways for most of those flights in the past couple few years. We have almost never redeemed miles for free flights however, this week, our teenage daughter had the opportunity to intern with a film production company in LA so we redeemed miles to fly her out. A couple of days ago, we learned the production is going to wrap early so called to change her return flight. 2 days and 4 attempts later, my husband finally got a supervisor named Carmen on the phone. Understanding all the stress she must deal with everyday, he was very polite but clear about what he would like her to help us with. Carmen said she could call someone to release a seat on an earlier flight but would only do so if we agreed to pay $150.00 change fee first (this is in addition to $80.00 we already paid to redeem miles for a "free" flight). My husband asked if she would make the call and see if they would accept miles instead. He specifically stated that he would pay cash if necessary but wanted Carmen to ask if it was possible to use miles. She flatly and rudely refused. My husband reminded her that we were talking about arrangements for a minor child traveling alone and all he wanted Carmen to do was make the call and ask. She made is clear that the child was irrelevant and refused to call without the money. My husband was stunned by both her refusal and her indifference and told her he had never been treated like this by any other airline and for as often as we travel US Air (demonstrated by the high number of miles we've accrued), he didn’t think a phone call was too much to ask. Carmen’s response: “Than call another airline! Thanks for calling US Air!” and then SHE HUNG UP ON HIM!
Bottom line? Apparently US Airways is unconcerned about doing something like stranding an underage girl alone in a city like Los Angeles. Our daughter was scared to death and as parents, we were panic stricken about our 5'2'', 95lb little girl being in LA with no way home. We were absolutely horrified that an airline has SUPERVISORS who are more concerned about cash than a child and don't even pretend otherwise. We have since managed to make alternate arrangements to get our little girl home however, I have to wonder how many other children US Airways have stranded and what may have happened to those children whose parents did not have the resources we did...

04-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok, I will be the first, but I suspect you will get many responses in the same vein. I was totally with you on this complaint. The airline employee was obnoxious and inflexible and their attitude towards good customers is appalling. Hanging up on your is disgraceful and that employee should be disciplined. But then, you lost me right at the end....

Your teenage daughter working in LA as an intern, all alone, suddenly became a " 5'2", 95lbn little girl in LA" when US Airways refused to play ball. How did that happen.. you were ok with her going to LA alone to do an intern, but she suddenly became a vulnerable little girl. What would have happened if a major storm moved through LA and the flight was cancelled. That would nto have been US Airways fault, but how would you take care of your little girl then? I think you over-egged the pudding... the complaint was great right up to "she hung up on him". The rest is hyperbole and should have been left out....

04-20-2009, 12:38 AM
You fly 4 to 6 flights a week? Do you live on an airplane? I think it would be more pleasant to be water-boarded at Guantanamo.

I'm sorry, but I have little sympathy for your complaint considering you allowed your "little girl" to work as an intern in L.A. for a film production company. If she's grown up enough to do that, she should have been able to handle a flight problem.

04-20-2009, 03:54 AM
agreeing with Jim and country. Who was looking after your daughter while in LA? Its a big place and like most big cities has a high crime rate. If I was straight, had a daughter the only way as a teenager she would do an intership in a big city is if me and my shot gun went with. Yes scarey a gay man with a shot gun :) no wonder they don't want us in the military in the U.S. Up there with trying to steal a drag queens hair spray :)

04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Leatherboy.. you are gay? Who knew!! I thought you made shoes...

CWas
04-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Ah, now I get it. And here I thought, from the way you treated me, that I was somehow unique. Now I see that you’ve actually made a hobby out of critiquing/belittling others by way of their posts.

How very… very… er…

Unless it’s more than just a hobby...? What is it you get out of posting here so faithfully, jimworcs? Because, it would seem to me (as it would to most people) that no one in their right mind posts something like 450 times in the past year or so - unless, of course, they’re getting something in return.

Suppose I give you the benefit of the doubt….

Let’s say you’ve got some sort of actual (constructive) agenda for being here. Are we to assume (and only because I highly doubt you’ve got any altruistic motives for being here) that you’re being directly compensated for your trouble? Or maybe you're holding stock in a competing airline, and you think that by bashing all the other airlines (and anyone who complains about yours) that your stock’s value will rise?

Now, if you’re not getting some sort of compensation, (which I think is the case) then are we to assume that your real reason for doing what you do, has little to do with reason – and more to do with you’re being some sort of smug nutjob who enjoys bashing airlines/other people/kittens?

No. What I think is that you come to us, a broken little man, devoid of any power in the real-world, and here you are transformed into king. And as king, you reign supreme (we’ll forget, for now, that the only reason you reign supreme here is because no one else wants your kingdom - aside from PHXFlyer and countrynewsman, of course) and you toss out your snide little comments without retribution – and pass your petty little judgments with impunity.

Is that it, jimworcs? Do you fancy yourself *king of the world* of airlinecomplaints.org?

At this juncture, I suppose one might suggest to you that perhaps you should think about getting a life. But seeing as this appears to be all you have….

abutterfinger25
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
CWas, not sure what your issue is with Jim but he has a point on this thread.

The original post pulls out the "standed little girl card" in an attempt to elicit sympathy. I mean, the girl is able to take care of herself alone in LA (for an untold amount of time) and then becomes a helpless little child when they try to get her home EARLIER than originally planned. The airline did not strand the girl since mom and dad were trying to get her home earlier than planned and did not want to pay the customary changed ticket fee but wanted to use accrued miles instead. I am not aware of any airline who has a policy of accepting miles to cover fees and penalties.

04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
CWas...I don't understand your issue with Jim as well. What he posted makes sense. I think you need to look in the mirror to determine your problem.

04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Cwas.. have you come off your medication?

Corbel
04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
i dont see what cwas deal is with jims post either. i agree with Jimworcs post 100% on this one

04-21-2009, 03:54 AM
Yeah, Jim. What kind of a kickback are you getting from airlines? I thought you were pro-consumer but now the truth is out. You closet-airline supporter!!!!

04-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Hey Judge...what do you want to bet that Jim gets free passes on Delta as a kickback!

Silent Bob
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I KNEW IT!!! All this time talkin about regulating the airlines and you were gettin kickbacks!!! For shame, man!! Bad dd to join tog.... bad dog.. LOL Sorry I just feel left out and wanted to join the fun.

04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Oh my god, I have been exposed. It is true.... perhaps the moderator should make me put "Delta Sympathizer" under my name

Jetliner
04-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm with Abutterfinger on this one. Your daughter was scheduled to stay in LA Xnumber of days. Are you saying that when the production wrapped up early that whoever she was staying with threw her out on the street?

The contract of carriage under which the ticket was issued would state there is a change fee. That cannot be waived except in certain extreme circumstances. This would not qualify.

mars6423
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I think it is crazy how the parents are blaiming the airline when it is a problem that they created

I do feel bad and sorry that their daughter was left alone in a big city for 2 days, but 2 days isnt too long

Airlines dont accept and dont have to accept miles for change of flight, thats why there is a fee......besides if it was so important for their daughter to get on that earlier flight they could have used some of their extensive miles and got her a free ticket instead of paying the fee

also how old is the daugher, teenage could mean 19 in which case she can or should be able to take care of herself and be responsible. Unless she is dependant on everyone else which i feel sorry for those people

Why couldnt she just stay where she was previously? If it was a hotel and the parents were scared for her safety than she could have stayed in and ordered room service till her scheduled flight.

There is alot missing from the story, but the airline staff on the phone was very rude and shouldnt have been treated that way, if thats the way it really went

And if these are really concerned parents than how come it sounds like they are never home? flying several days a week, are they ever home to see the child? do they take responsibility to raise their daughter? do they have a nanny or a stay at home housekeeper? it seems like the daughter can take care of herself

Its not like she was in a foreign land where they dont speak the language

04-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Its not like she was in a foreign land where they dont speak the language.

Have you been to LA?

mars6423
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah a few times and i was fine

Silent Bob
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I remember post 9/11 when the airport was full of homeless, beggars, and solicitors of charities, and they'd get you every few feet. There were even signs posted not to give them money. I don't think its like that now though.... is it?

04-23-2009, 12:32 AM
20/20 or one of those nightly new programs (Dateline or something like that) did a story about the problem still being at airports especially with them coming into places like Ohare, Boston and other places on the fairly low cost subways and then just staying in the terminals mostly for shelter from weather

airhead
04-23-2009, 05:19 AM
I agree with jimworcs and abutterfinger25 on this one too. I admit I get a kick out of this site when I have the time.

04-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Had few in the mid '90's when I worked in HNL. I left in 2000 they were still there, came back in 2008 and they were pushed out. I saw one lady who made enough begging from guests that she was able to buy a ticket every year to go to the mainland and back to see her son. Keep giving people.....they're hurting.

04-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I give if they are not aggressive, but don't give them a cent if they get too pushy!!

PHXFlyer
04-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Getting back on topic, there is no way to equate miles for payment of a fee. You can redeem miles for a ticket, but for fees such as baggage, purchasing beverages or food in-flight, or making itinerary changes one can only use money in the form of cash (if paid at the airport) or a credit/debit card. I think the OP tried to push the "miles instead of a fee" point too many times and was told it couldn't be done which was not what s/he wanted to hear. At some point such conversations become pointless and it was probably at the discretion of the telephone agent to terminate the call.

jendempsey
05-03-2009, 06:10 AM
I should also have stated in my original post that our daughter was in LA interning with my sister until circumstances dictated otherwise (which was also why they wrapped early). I would never have sent my daughter to LA on her own without her having enough travel experience to deal with this type of situation knowing that delays, etc happen all the time.

Jetliner
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Soooo, she was with family. The point is, you are trying to make out like US Airways canceled a flight and left her stuck in some airport for days. That is not the case. The fact is you booked the ticket for certain dates, then wanted to change. You are then liable for the change penalties if you make the change. If things wrapped up early, why are you not griping about the filming company stranding her?

05-12-2009, 03:47 AM
I'd be more upset with my sister then the airline. Some Aunt hopefully she is off the xmas card list.