PDA

View Full Version : Flight Delayed - Service Great

ld40
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
On a recent flight I was delayed more than 3 hours due to weather problems. When our plane finally arrived, we were told that we couldn't take off because our flight crew was past their limit in terms of the amount of time they are allowed to work. This meant we had to wait even longer! Eventually another crew showed up and we were allowed to leave. We were then informed by the pilot, that the crew American got for us had just gotten off of another flight and was headed to their hotel to go to sleep. It was after 11pm, everyone was tired, and this new crew had just agreed to work an additional flight that was now not scheduled to arrive until about 230 am!
On our return flight a helpful ticketing agent offered to put me on standby for a direct flight for NO ADDITONAL CHARGE leaving 20 minutes later instead of my original flight that included a layover in dallas.
Several days later, I rec'd an email from American stating that they were sorry for the delay and that they would add 3,000 extra miles to my account as a "goodwill gesture."

None of the flights were perfect - after the return flight we had to sit on the runway for 30 minutes and wait for a gate - and then sit for another 15 in front of the gate waiting for a person to come and direct the plane to park. (This seems ridiculous by the way - the pilot can fly the plane and land the plane, but he can't park the plane without the help of some guy with light up orange sticks!?)

This just goes to show that airlines do value their customers, and that many of their employees really do care about offering good service. They are certainly not responsible for the weather, and frequently end up paying money to compensate customers for everyday issues that are completely outside of their control.

I was impressed all around and will definitely fly with American again.

Corbel
06-18-2009, 11:14 AM
as far with the guy with the orange sticks comment...i know it seems weird that they cant park without them BUT, for the jet bridge to get lined up just right with the boarding door they need to park the plane at a certain spot on a yellow line. next time your at the airport look down at the ground, there should be a straight yellow line that is vertical then maybe (i know in rfd and some gates at chicago they have them) a few yellow horizontal lines that show different aircraft types (md-80, 737 etc) and they need to park that certain a/c there with the front nose gear where the lines meet. we always joke around with our pilots. we were in a hotel shuttle in KWI, and they couldn't figure out the air conditioner unit, but yet they can fly an airplane lol. glad to hear you had a good experience with aa though.

Jetliner
06-19-2009, 04:55 AM
and then sit for another 15 in front of the gate waiting for a person to come and direct the plane to park. (This seems ridiculous by the way - the pilot can fly the plane and land the plane, but he can't park the plane without the help of some guy with light up orange sticks!?)

What was already said. The pilots can taxi down the line just fine. For them it's no different than the lines on the taxi way. But out on the taxiway, they are in an open area. Coming into the gate, there is a lot of equipment around. Also they have no way to see exactly where to stop. There are some cities where the jet bridge does not move side to side. It only goes back and forth toward or away from the aircraft. So if the plane pulls up to far or too short, then the jet bridge will not be able to pull up to the door.

ChrisH
06-22-2009, 06:16 AM
On a recent flight I was delayed more than 3 hours due to weather problems. When our plane finally arrived, we were told that we couldn't take off because our flight crew was past their limit in terms of the amount of time they are allowed to work. This meant we had to wait even longer! Eventually another crew showed up and we were allowed to leave. We were then informed by the pilot, that the crew American got for us had just gotten off of another flight and was headed to their hotel to go to sleep. It was after 11pm, everyone was tired, and this new crew had just agreed to work an additional flight that was now not scheduled to arrive until about 230 am!
On our return flight a helpful ticketing agent offered to put me on standby for a direct flight for NO ADDITONAL CHARGE leaving 20 minutes later instead of my original flight that included a layover in dallas.
Several days later, I rec'd an email from American stating that they were sorry for the delay and that they would add 3,000 extra miles to my account as a "goodwill gesture."

None of the flights were perfect - after the return flight we had to sit on the runway for 30 minutes and wait for a gate - and then sit for another 15 in front of the gate waiting for a person to come and direct the plane to park. (This seems ridiculous by the way - the pilot can fly the plane and land the plane, but he can't park the plane without the help of some guy with light up orange sticks!?)

This just goes to show that airlines do value their customers, and that many of their employees really do care about offering good service. They are certainly not responsible for the weather, and frequently end up paying money to compensate customers for everyday issues that are completely outside of their control.

I was impressed all around and will definitely fly with American again.
Glad you had a good experience as far as customer service. The airlines do care, even though at times it may seem they do not. Unfortunately all companies, airline or not have bad apples, which some people encounter.

As per the pilots not being able to park, without guys directing them with "orange sticks". It is an FAA thing. They require a marshaller, and a wing walker, sometimes two wing walkers. The pilot usually cannot see the wings from the cockpit, and need direction so they do not hit anything. Also, the airplane has to be stopped on a certain mark, which is difference per each airplane, depending on the airplane's size, and the pilots also cannot see those marks, and when the nose wheel is on that mark, from the cockpit. They need a marshaller up front to signal to them when to stop the aircraft.