View Full Version : Seats were given away!

06-22-2009, 07:53 PM
My wife and I took a vacation to Washington D.C. We got to the Atlanta airport late because our flight was delayed in letting us get off the plane. We still had time to make our connecting flight, so we checked the gates to make sure our gate hadn't been changed.

It HAD been changed, so we rushed to the gate, checked in, and the attendant behind the counter told us we had to HURRY to get on the plane...with a good 10 minutes left before it was supposed to leave!

Not only did we have to rush, but we no longer had seats next to each other, and had to take whatever seats were left. They'd given our seats away despite us having made it on time to board the plane! I ended up sitting in front of a toddler who kicked my seat the entire flight, seated next to a guy who smelled like cheese. We didn't have time to complain about not having our paid-for seats because it was the LAST FLIGHT out of Atlanta to our destination. If we didn't get on board, we'd be stuck in Atlanta over night.

There were other things to complain about, but that was the main problem we had....getting our seats taken from us. Is it so much to ask that our seats not be given away? It seems like Delta intended for us to miss out flight by keeping us on the plane so they could give our seats away, and then was surprised when we made our flight. We're NOT happy with the "service" we got. We'll definitely be looking at other airlines for our next trip.

PHXFlyer
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
If you were boarding the plane with only 10 minutes top spare then Delta had every right to re-assign your seats:

Check-in Requirements from U.S. Cities, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands

You must be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time.

You had seats on that flight. You got your "paid-for seats." When you buy airline tickets you are not buying specific seats. Seat assignments can and do change for a variety of reasons. Perhaps there was a parent and child who were separated but because you were late were given your original seat assignments so you could sit together. Any airline who pre-assigns seats will try t honor those assignments but sometimes it's just not possible. If that's a major problem for you then stick to Southwest where nobody has an assigned seat.

06-22-2009, 08:50 PM
We were boarding the plane with 10 minutes to spare BECAUSE OF the Delta, not due to negligence on our part. If it had been due to our own incompetence, then I could understand that. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I couldn't complain about it either.

And for the record, when we booked the flight our REQUIREMENT (which was assured to us by the airline) was that we be seated together. In this case, they didn't even try to honor the seat assignments. If they have no intention of honoring the seat assignments, then they shouldn't assign them on the tickets. They should simply not have an assignment on them like bus tickets. Just a thought!

They knew we where we were and what flight we were on. I find it hard to believe this is the best they can do. Do you?

06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
"I am NOT an "Airline Apologist/Sympathizer" nor am I an airline employee."

I take it you've had to explain some of your posts, huh?

06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I edited my signature to satire yours. Hope you don't mind. ;)

AADFW
06-23-2009, 03:46 AM
LMAO... well done MoW2199.

PHXFlyer
06-23-2009, 04:40 AM
LMAO... well done MoW2199.

Whatever dude. :p