View Full Version : Pass the Buck - Chuck

Biz Travler
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Had a flight delayed for an hour for mechanical problems in SMF. No big deal. It happens right...

Got to my connecting airport (PHX). Had to wait 3 hours for the next connecting flight. Missed a meeting etc etc.

Asked the customer service desk if I could use the airline club upstairs to get some business done since I had my flight delayed.

Like he doesn't have the power to issue me a day pass.

Customer No-service. Thanks US AIR.

Gromit801
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Not defending the guy. I agree that it would have been nice if they allowed you in. In today's economy, he's probably more worried about keeping his job and not getting chewed out by a supervisor.

Corbel
07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
so its sounding like you missed your connecting flight. how long was your original layover in phx? it doesn't sound like you had alot of time in the first place. usually if you leave an hour late, the pilot can make up at least some of that flying time. (unless ATC, held you)

07-17-2009, 01:31 AM

Like he doesn't have the power to issue me a day pass.

Customer No-service. Thanks US AIR.

If it's any consolation the US Airways Clubs in PHX are pretty crappy anyway. Tired old furnishings, not a great snack selection, and you pay for "adult beverages." When in PHX Terminal 4 you'd be much better off at The Tequileria. The food is decent and fast, the staff is friendly and the bartenders make a mean top-shelf Margarita. Phoenix Sky Harbor has free wi-fi throughout all terminals courtesy of the city of Phoenix so you can check your e-mail while sipping on your beverage.

Silent Bob
07-17-2009, 04:29 AM
The airlines never use their president's club as a form of compensation, as far as I know. And believe me I've asked once for Continental and ended up paying 40 bucks (at the time, i think it's 45 now) for a day pass. I've only heard tales of folks being let in as compensation, but then I think there might be some untruth to that.

airhead
07-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Your employer should pay for your membership to the club if you are indeed a business traveler and do it often. If you are self employed, good for you. I have a lot of respect for people who run their own business. But you should purchase membership to take care of business. Their are perks to having such memberships, obviously.

justme
07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Like he doesn't have the power to issue me a day pass.

Outrageous. The simple fact of the matter is that he does NOT have the "power" to issue you a pass to a club you didn't pay to belong to. Do you go to the local country club and demand to play golf for free because you missed your tee time when your car broke down due to a flat tire? No. You either pay for the membership, be it for a day or a year like the rest of the people that use the clubs, or you don't get in. That's why it's called a MEMBERSHIP to a CLUB.

Leatherboy2006
07-18-2009, 10:23 PM
As a paying member to United and Americans club, I would really be ****** off if they gave out entries to delayed passengars, like one post said its a paid membership. I don't want to have paid my money to go to club and have a bunch of freebees in there

oh my
07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
We've never offered admittance to our club as a means of compensation where i've worked. I don't think the agent was trying to be rude, especially since he said "sorry." He could have laughed at you, or told you "hell no." That would have been rude. The concept of "customer service" does not mean "give everyone everything they want to make them happy." If it was common practice, we would have complaints on this board about the poor "customer service" in the clubs because of all the delayed passengers they let in. Its a no-win situation.

07-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I am a paid member of Continental's Presidents Club. If I found out that non-members were allowed access for free I'd be pretty ******. It diminishes the value of my paid membership just as much as someone who is given a "bump up" to first class because they were ****** about something diminished the benefits I enjoy as a Platinum frequent flier.

Think of it this way. You (or your company) pays hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for a "skybox" at a football stadium. You're at a game enjoying the comfy couches, the free flowing drinks and the catered food. Suddenly, a knock at the door. It's a stadium official with a family of six people. Some idiot had too much beer in the stadium seats and puked all over their seats rendering them unusable. The game is a sellout and they've got nowhere to sit these folks so they're going to allow them full access to your box. How would you feel? Although I would be sorry for their plight and feel bad for them they didn't pay to sit in the skybox. Why not just issue them refunds and give them tickets to a future game?

Okay it may not be the best analogy, but you get my drift.

justme
07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
PHX, and any others who want to answer, I want to ask you a question about the clubs and get an opinion about something. Since you belong to more than one club, and seem to have quite a bit of experience flying and being in the clubs, how do you feel about non-revs (employees and former employees only) being in the clubs? I am, as you know, a former employee, and have paid for a membership to the club of my choice, but since I used to work for the airline, received it at a discounted rate. The reason I ask, and mention that I have paid for a membership, is because I have heard people say that they don't think employees should be allowed in the clubs (even if they've paid), and I have heard people say they don't care. Just wanted to get some opinions from some opinionated people! ;)

07-22-2009, 03:10 AM
I don't know about continental but where I work they do use the club as a form of compensation, but only to passengers confirmed in business/first class and platinum medallion passengers. and also only if the delay is 4 or more hours. of course the station I work at doesn't even have a club so I don't have to worry about that. but I have seen it done before.

Silent Bob
07-22-2009, 04:15 AM
I probably wouldn't care so much, unless of course it gets crazy crowded and then come to find out it was due to them all being employees. Yea I wouldn't be happy about that, if the airlines wants to give their people passes, they should have to pay, discounted or otherwise.

07-22-2009, 05:33 AM

I don't mind at all. In fact, I've seen some pretty rude people in the clubs who obviously weren't employees who should have had their membership revoked on the spot. I'm sure employees are held to a high standard of behavior and decorum in the clubs as they are in the air. I've sat next to a few non-revs over the years, even in first class, and they've been delightful seat mates. In first class when there's a meal service they're easy to spot as they always turn down a meal until all of the "regular" passengers are served.

I do know that Alaska Airlines does not allow their own employees in Alaska's Boardrooms as a matter of corporate policy. I'm sure there's some history behind that rule but I've never been told if it's just always been that way or if there was an "incident" that prompted the rule.

Club access has traditionally been a part of a paid premium cabin international ticket on many airlines. Alaska even offers Boardroom access to paid and award domestic first class ticket holders. I've never heard of a "rule" about granting access with a delay of more than four hours. It would be bit much if 150+ people showed up at a club en masse.

I've seen some pretty crowded clubs and I don't think the crowding was due to employees. There are just certain times of the day and daysof the week that the clubs are just crowded. Holidays are especially crowded since many clb members bring their spouse and kids.

07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
it's not a "rule" so to say it's just a guideline as to what we can and cannot do for a passenger in case of a delay. again only platinum passengers and first/business class passengers. if you have a mechanical/crew delay on a plane you wouldn't see 150 platinum members rushing the club. it's very unlikely you would have 150 platinum members flying on the same flight, and as you all know there is no compensation for a weather delay. so the comment about 150+ passengers crowding the room would be incorrect

07-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Ah, sorry. I did see that but somehow was thinking the entire planeload of passengers would stampede the club! Although in some hub cities it's very possible that more than half of the plane has elite status of some level. I've flown through ATL and the elite upgrade list on some flights doesn't even fit on the gate display. I think Delta even has a policy of cutting the list off at some point. Just a couple of years ago it was a moot point to provide lounge access for Platinum Elites as they received free membership as a benefit anyway.

07-23-2009, 12:43 AM
I think that's why it's not so much a rule as much as it is a guideline. and it is a tool we have available to us. but most airlines won't just offer up compensation you have to ask for it. most people want their compensation in the form of travel vouchers or additional miles.