View Full Version : YIKES!!!! Skywest...what a fiasco!!!

pattis
10-09-2009, 02:50 AM
All right, sure i am an airline employee and understand the way things work, but this was a joke. I flew to LAS from FCA via Allegiant. Everything went fine, no complaints. I had to be in LAS for a 4 hour meeting Tuesday meeting. Afterwards taken back to LAS at 3:00 for a 4:55pm flightto SLC. Boarding was on time. We were told there was a slight maintainance issue...it happens....45 min later they were still waiting for mechanic. They finally deplaned everyone. We waited about about 1/2 hour told flight was too be canceled to go to different gate for 1 last departure to SLC. Of course the line was long finaly I saw an agent alone at different gate. Was told flight to SLC was already overbooked we would be standby only. Waited about 45 min to find out we were 19 and 20 on SB list. Opted to stay overnight in LAS try again in AM. We were given hotel vouchers and meal vouchers and a $100 voucher each. Next AM, arrived in LAS at 5:50 for a 7:26 dep. Boarding was on time, then told there was a mechanical issue...blown circuit breaker good chance the flight may be canceled. Sat on plane waiting for an agent to pull up jetway. We all waited in terminal about 40 min. I approached an agent and asked her if she could possibly help me as to that we were already delayed from previous day, I can get home through SEA. SHe looked at me told me to be quiet and sit down she was too busy to be bothered. WHOA!!!! well lets just say I don't treat customers that way. An announcment was made that there was a flight to SLC at 10:40 if this canceled. (however they failed to mention it was already filled and it would be Standby only). Well they got the original flight fixed and we all reboarded just to taxi out and have to return to the gate for a secondary mechanical. This took about 15-20 min and were waiting for paperwork. We are all ready to depart but are then told we need to wait to be fueled and it will be 10 - 15 min before fueler gets there. 20 min later we are told they (crew) were given authority to leave without additional fuel.
We missed conx in SLC but there was another flt about 3pm. Good ..on time...NO WAIT...5 min before boarding we are told it is on a mechanical delay. It ended up being nearly an hour late. I was quite glad just to get home. What a FIASCO in LAS. that whole thing was handled so poorly. This , of course is not as bad as what alot of travelers have to endure, but this many maint. delays in such a short time span makes me wonder if thier CRJ's are actually safe. The customer service in LAS was poor and customers were not kept informed. Being in the industry, I know it does happen. But this was a joke. On a good side I will say that all inflight crews (as we sat on aircraft) kept everyone informed every 5 min. KUDOS to them!!!! Just wondering anyone that works for DL ...is a $100 voucher the best that I can expect to recieve? It is what it is, just glad to have gotten back home. Makes me a little more empathetic to those with similar issues.

Gromit801
10-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Allegiant! The Short Bus of the airways.

pattis
10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, all airlines have thier problems, but it was the cheapest way to go. :)

PHXFlyer
10-10-2009, 01:47 AM
I fly through SLC quite often so I know what your frustrations with SkyWest are. Even though their average fleet age is only 7.4 years (6.1 years for the CRJs) they seem older probably because they are utilized a great deal. SkyWest also seems to pay little or no attention to maintaining the interiors of their aircraft so they look older than they really are. Safety-wise I don't believe there are issues as they seem to take safety critical issues quite seriously but they do seem to have more than their fair share of delays and cancellations.

wkharris2001
10-10-2009, 04:52 AM
pattis, i'm sorry this happened to you, skywest is a mess! Delta uses $100 as a "guideline" for compensation of any delay greater than 4 hours. I would maybe suggest writing in on delta.com and requesting maybe another travel voucher, not saying that they will give it to you, but the worse they could do is say no you've already been compensated. *shrugs*

justme
10-13-2009, 05:05 AM
pattis, a possible reason the maintenance took so long to be fixed is that there was no SkyWest MTC personnel in LAS to fix the airplane. Usually they only have MTC people in hub cities. If you had been in SLC when the MTC had come up, I would venture to say your experience would have been a lot different. Sorry you had to deal with the headache, hopefully you will get more than $100 voucher, I definitely think you deserve it.