View Full Version : Delta declined to compensate me for canceled flight. Need advice pls.

catalin
06-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Hello,

I purchased a roundtrip ticket from Toronto to New York with Delta Airlines. While in New York in the day I was supposed to fly back to Toronto, Delta informed me via email that my flight back has been canceled due to "weather conditions" and that I was rescheduled to fly back the next day after. There was actually no bad weather that day (June 3, 2010), neither in New York nor Toronto. Both airports had normal traffic. I took hourly snapshots from the weather site for both cities to prove this. I do consider that Delta canceled the flight for a totally different reason and used “weather conditions” just as a pretext. That caused me to spend one extra night in New York and incurred additional expenses for lodging and food. I wrote Delta asking for them to compensate me for those unexpected expenses that they have caused. They declined to offer any compensation. I wrote to the U.S. Department of Transportation to complain about this. However they do not mediate such complaints. Is there anything else I could do to get a more appropriate reaction from Delta? A mention, small claims court is not an appealing option for me as I live in Canada.

Thank you for any advice you could provide,

Catalin

jimworcs
06-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I think you have exhausted your options. One of the most irritating things about deregulation is that the airlines are simply not accountable. They routinely lie to customers, make excuses and are utterly unaccountable. No one seems to check if they are lying... in Europe there is a Dutch company which specialises in checking the truth of airline claims and provides a service for such an eventuality. Their success rate in court is astonishing, but I have heard of no such organisation in the US. I think you will just have to eat it... and vow never to fly with Delta again. I think you will find that they are pretty universally reviled... and their entries on this website and customer satisfaction ratings indicate that they have no intention of changing. I experienced the Delta treatment some years ago and have never travelled with them again. I don't think you have any other remedy.

catalin
06-12-2010, 01:49 AM
jimworcs thank you for your reply. In the meantime I found the Better Business Bureau site and since Delta is being registered with them I posted a complaint there. The thing about BBB is that, as opposed to DOT, they actually contact the company and try to get a resolution on the particular case. I will provide updates here if I manage to get any significant result.

The_Judge
06-12-2010, 05:47 AM
catalin....The BBB will get you nowhere in a hurry. Actually, the DOT not only contacts the airline, completely opposite of what you say, and can firmly suggest they take action. I would forget the BBB and re-write to the DOT. There is a link provided on this site under "Quick Links". By the way, you won't find a link to the BBB on this site as they have no influence over an airline.

the Travel Lady
06-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Catalin.....here is what you should do....call Delta...and have them look at your tkt..the key is having a Delta skymiles number cus if they do give you compensation its easier to keep track of it that way (thru your FFQ#) Weather issues could mean that wherever the flight started out which could have been across the country which was having a storm...not necessarliy in your area. If it really was due to weather NO AIRLINE will compensate...MotherNature has her own plans and they can not pay for everything that goes wrong..if it was due to a plane breaking down or a crew problem they will compensate ...good luck