View Full Version : 27.5 hours from Orange County to Chicago

hungryman123
10-29-2010, 04:55 AM
My message to AA (had to edit it quite a bit due to word limit):
---------------------------

This was the worst airline travel I have ever experienced.

My journey home: 1 flight which took 4 to 4.5 hours.
My journey to Chicago: 4 flights which took 27.5 hours.

First off, I paid $639.10 for my round-trip flight. I was happy to pay this, because I was seeing somebody very important to me for the last time. My flight was supposed to get there Saturday evening, and return Tuesday evening.

Flight #1
I left Santa Ana. Nearing Dallas we were told that we would have to divert to El Paso due to thunderstorms. We diverted and waited for an hour or more.

Flight #2
We left El Paso to Dallas. Got into Dallas, and the weather looked perfectly fine. But ALL American Airlines flights to Chicago were canceled. I also found out that NO other airlines' flights to Chicago were canceled. ONLY AA. Furthermore, I heard that the thunderstorms only lasted about 1 hour. Why would so many flights be canceled due to 1 hour's worth of thunderstorms? Apparently, because AA's policy for a delayed flight is for it to be canceled if it is delayed more than 30 min. This is what I heard from an AA representative.

I was also told that I would need to get on a flight the next morning. I received NO food vouchers. I received NO hotel voucher. The first morning flight was at 5:45am, and at this time it was about 7pm. I waited for a shuttle for a hotel. 2 hours later, the shuttle gets there.

After a terrible night, where I only got 2 hours of sleep, I was back at the airport (I also only got 2 hours of sleep the previous night due to personal issues). I was #10 on the priority list of a TON of people (from 3 canceled flights). Didn't make the flight. On the next 2 flights, I was #16, and then #23. I could see where this was going.

I figured out that I could go to Cincinnati and then to Chicago. I took the opportunity and got the hell out of Dallas.

I was completely exhausted.

cortney
10-30-2010, 11:39 AM
if you were trying to arrive into ORD between monday night and wednesday morning or deptart out of ORD on those days..it was next to impossible. we had winds that gusted up to 60mph. over 200 ( i think that was the total) flights were cancelled and a crap load were delayed. yes there were also thunderstorms. and just because it may be nice in dallas the weather between dallas and your origin may not have been or your alternate airport may have had weather too. alot of people dont get that. this was weather just like florida...it could storm like a mother one minute then completly clear up and things take time to get back on track

hungryman123
10-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I was trying to arrive in ORD on Saturday at 5pm.

Maybe you didn't read the part of my message that said "ALL American Airlines flights to Chicago were canceled. I also found out that NO other airlines' flights to Chicago were canceled. ONLY AA."

crystal8es
10-31-2010, 04:35 AM
I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.
free photoshop tutorials (http://www.photoshop-garden.com)

Leatherboy2006
11-02-2010, 04:09 AM
If that was Saturday the 16th of October, the Dallas/ft. worth area had storms and tornados going through all day. On Sunday the 17th the city of Rice just south of Dallas was hit (incrediable video was taken by city official as tornado passed through were he was).
Thundar storms and micro bursts can happen suddenly (micro burst downed Delta 191 here in Dallas) and is something you don't want to mess with.