View Full Version : Flight delayed constantly

Jnc1000
11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I am a frequent flyer with American Airlines. I travel on this airline at least once a month. I am also a small business owner- and like everyone else my time is very important to me. American has always been an ok airline- they travel to many cities and I find them convenient to use. I have had many delayed flights due to mechanical problems, weather, etc. However I understand these things and have never had a grievance until this weekend. My grievance this weekend is twofold. First, both my flight to chicago from Miami and the return flight were scheduled to leave at 10:30 am. Both these flights were moved to 11:30. American had an 11:30 flight but when I booked the ticket I had needed to get in and out earlier. If they are going to combine flights ticket purchasers should be notified. Secondly, I have a small rollerboard that I have used for the past 6 years to travel. I pack generally one change of clothes and leave space in case I make a purchase. It's a Swiss army travel bag and it's dimensions meet FAA regulations. Its a very standard bag and it fits in the overhead easily as well as the metal stand they generally use to check bags prior to boarding. On one of these flights an attendant looked at my bag prior to boarding and asked me to place it into the rack to make sure it fit. It plopped easily into the rack. I was asked to remove it. I lifted it by the handle and the bag came out. Mind you, it's a close fit but my point is that I was able to single handedly lift it out. No struggling, no pulling,no twisting or turning. I thought I was fine, I have never had a problem. The flight attendant told me I would have to check the bag. I said "you've got to be kidding me?!" she said no, I asked why. "because it did not "easily" come out of the metal thing. I would not be so mad if every bag was checked but this was completely random. Other bags that followed my bag onto the plane were larger by far and simply were not checked. I told the woman I had meetings to get to and I didn't see a problem because it fit easily in and out. Additionally we were boarding a jumbo jet, not a smaller plane where room might have been an issue. I believe American will be getting harder on bags. Not because they won't fit in overheads but because they need the $50 in revenue to help stay profitable. I don't understand, but they should either raise ticket prices or adopt new carry on standards. They should not give random people a hard time about their bags when they have places to be all for the sake of hoping to collect the $50 fee next time. I am willing to get a smaller bag but in all probability this was just a single encounter with someone who didn't know what they were doing. I missed an important meeting based on my 1 hour delay and waiting on my carry on bag at bagclaim- at least they didn't lose it.

A very unsatisfied customer.

jimworcs
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
The totally random way in which regulations are enforced IS utterly pathetic. It leaves everyone feeling angry. The employees are exposed because customers get angry at them. The passengers have no idea what to expect... and have no way of telling if this was a "legitimate" request or the actions of a sky-nazi... such as the infamous Orange Juice AA flight attendant.

DazedNadConfused
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I feel your pain - I fly frequently as well and am often frustrated at the lack of space for carry-on baggage due to some passengers being allowed to bring on their worldly possessions. I have (I believe) the same Swiss-gear case and have been told to "shove" it under the seat in front of me.