View Full Version : How are they still in business?

Unsatisfied Traveler
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I've flown American Airlines 5 times for business in the last year since they are the only airline that will fly to the small airport I need, and every flight but 1 has had a problem.

They had cancelled 2 of the flights. One time I had to rent a car and drive to my final destination since, and the other time I had to wait 4 hours for the next flight, and then my baggage didn't arrive until 2 am, almost 10 hours later!

Another time, the flight was delayed, so I asked if I could transfer to the earlier flight. They said that because I wasn't an elite member, I wasn't eligible for stand by, and even if I was it would be $50. So they flew with empty seats, and I was stuck at the airport for another hour and a half because of their 'status' policy.

When I complained about their service, they said there was nothing they could do about it since that was company policy.

I will make sure to never take their flights again if I can possibly help it.

jimworcs
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
They are still in business because, in collusion with the US government, they are immune from normal competitive pressures. They have built up huge fortress hubs, so that they don't have to compete in major markets, they have built huge alliances so they don't have to compete on international routes, they pay huge sums to lobbyists and in political donations to maintain the status quo.... and in that way, they stay in business whilst screwing the customer royally. Until something is done politically, nothing will change.