PDA

View Full Version : checked carry on . stolen cameras.

smartymarty
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Depart Philadelphia Flight 4301 to Newport News , Virginia. 550 PM.

Carry on must be checked in cargo hold due to small storage inside aircraft. Baggage worker takes bag and proceeds to aft section of plane. I board aircraft.

Flight Attendent is having heated exchange with someone( an employee) in aft cargo hold area of the Dash 8 via the aft bulkhead door. She is trying to get the doors closed and ready for on time takeoff.

Evidently someone is inside the Cargo area doing something. That something obviously now is rifling through the bags for valuables.

I arrive in Newport News to find a camera and a video camera missing from the zipperred pouch at the top of the roll aboard. My fault for letting any valuable in checked baggage.

Airline should post signs at all podiums and ticket counter warning all passengers of potential loss of valuables if checked at UsAirways or any airline for that matter.

Once you lose sight of your bags, anything can happen. The theives are all over the place on the ramp and baggage areas. You are fooling yourself if you think not!

Carry on anything you think could be easilly sold or stolen!

ChrisH
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Carry on anything you think could be easilly sold or stolen!

That seems like common sense to me. It always amazed me the number of people who checked their money, credit cards, keys, etc. The airlines do not hold themselves responsible for those items.

Carry that stuff on. And, before someone says this - yes, I realize some smaller planes do not have enough room to allow carry ons. For this reason, ALWAYS have a very small bag that can fit under a seat that you store your valuables in. Keep it with you at all times.

Gromit801
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
When you are forced to give up your carry on, that you fully intended to have with you, it's a gray area when something is stolen. I would pursue the matter in small claims court.

bilingual
01-10-2011, 06:59 AM
If your carry-on luggage has exceeded the carry-on dimensions of the airline, then your case corresponds to leave valuables in checked-in baggage.

Gromit801
01-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Was it a case of your bag being too large, or all the bin space already taken?