PDA

View Full Version : Get there early and pay $50!

retributionavoide
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I just found out that if I wanted to help out this airline by filling another seat on an earlier flight, I'd have to pay them $50. This is yet another example that proves US Airways cares little for their customers but more, cares little for sustainability. These are bad people who need to be punished and regulated. Hitorically, people have been put in jail for less. Maybe that's what we need to do. Find the US Airways executive who do this and throw them in jail like the crooks they are.

ChrisH
03-27-2011, 09:32 PM
The airlines are a business and have the right to charge for what they want, including luggage and putting you on an earlier flight. If you don't like it, you don't have to fly.

It is either they charge these fees, or they raise fares by quite a bit. Either way, people are going to be complaining.

azstar
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not defending the airlines smorgasbord of fees, but I can tell you why they do it from the airline perspective.

The vast majority of seats are sold at what the airline considers "deeply discounted". There are a limited number of seats sold for each flight with certain conditions, such as advance purchase, required to obtain the discounted price.

Let's say you wanted to take a 10AM flight, but it was much cheaper to take the 3PM flight. That's why you bought it. Now, you show up early and you think you're doing the airline a favor by taking the earlier flight, since they will probably have seats available anyway.

The airline doesn't see it that way. They see it as you getting on a flight that should have cost you more, and leaving another vacant seat on the flight you originally paid a lower price to take. A ticket is a "contract of carriage" which the airline claims you breached if you switch flights.

I'm not saying I agree, but that's their point of view.

jimworcs
03-28-2011, 01:50 AM
It is the one sidedness of the contracts which presents th problem. With the notable exception of Southwest, the egregious charges imposed on passengers for relatively straightforeward changes, is nt atvall matched by parallel compensation when the airline makes a change. Time to re regulate this abusive industry

retributionavoide
04-07-2011, 04:11 AM
To avoid the "Caveat Emptor" scenario and allow everyone to travel fairly, the airlines need to be regulated.

A fare is a fare and should be the same cost for the same passage. The only thing de-regulation did was allow the airline to complicate the system to the level where they can create a predatory environment that attacks clients met unaware of their policies or just fall into unfortunate circumstances.

In most businesses, a fair price for a fair return is a requirement but this is not true within the airline business. Some of the best textbook scams and cons are becoming some of the best revenue opportunities leveraged by the airlines. I would like to see some of the people who support these policies go to jail just like the average street thug because they are little more than that but I will settle for industry regulation.

azstar
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
There was a time, in the 70's or 80's (prior to deregulation) when the government decided all discount fares were discriminatory. So, there was F and Y. That's it. I remember buying my girlfriend a one way ticket from San Francisco to Chicago for $140.00 (Y class).