PDA

View Full Version : Flight cancelled, delayed for 3 days, consequential loss


cpenn
08-12-2011, 03:08 PM
My AA922 flight (LPB-VVI section of LPB-VVI-MIA) on the 2/7/11 was cancelled due to bad weather, flying directly to VVI from MIA, missing out LPB. How bad the weather was is debatable, because other flights were landing at the time of the cancellation.

We were told the flight had been cancelled at 6:15 (the scheduled time of the flight), having already checked in and passed through passport checking. We then had to wait for 3 hours before someone was able to book us on to different flights. The 'earliest' flight they could book me on were more than 80 hours later (5/7/11).

There were three flights per day leaving on this route, and I am informed that seats were bookable on the day of the delay for an astronomical price. I enquired about alternative routings to Miami, and I was told there were none, which is certainly not true.

I believe that I was bumped off a space on an earlier flight in the hope that someone else bought an expensive space.

I explained that this length of delay was completely unacceptable and that I would incur consequential losses in the form of train tickets which I had bought, an extra night in London as the last train on the 6/7/11 had left, and days lost at work on the other end. I was compensated with three nights in a partner hotel and food vouchers.

I would like to know if I am entitled to compensation. I know this falls out of the EU zone, so EC 261/2004 does not apply. And I know AA will try to claim 'exceptional circumstances' due to the weather. But I know that I was lied to; the flights were not full and there must be a record of this. Thusly, I incurred an unnecessary delay and consequential loss for which I believe I am entitled to be compensated for.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris.

cpenn
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
P.S. because of this delay, I obviously missed my connection in VVI-MIA and then MIA-LHR.

I arrived in LHR 6/7/11, returning to work on 7/7/11, three days later than intended.

Gromit801
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Cancelled due to weather also includes the weather conditions at your destination. If the weather there was bad, they also would not have taken off quite likely.

A320FAN
08-12-2011, 11:19 PM
My AA922 flight (LPB-VVI section of LPB-VVI-MIA) on the 2/7/11 was cancelled due to bad weather, flying directly to VVI from MIA, missing out LPB. How bad the weather was is debatable, because other flights were landing at the time of the cancellation.

We were told the flight had been cancelled at 6:15 (the scheduled time of the flight), having already checked in and passed through passport checking. We then had to wait for 3 hours before someone was able to book us on to different flights. The 'earliest' flight they could book me on were more than 80 hours later (5/7/11).

There were three flights per day leaving on this route, and I am informed that seats were bookable on the day of the delay for an astronomical price. I enquired about alternative routings to Miami, and I was told there were none, which is certainly not true.

I believe that I was bumped off a space on an earlier flight in the hope that someone else bought an expensive space.

I explained that this length of delay was completely unacceptable and that I would incur consequential losses in the form of train tickets which I had bought, an extra night in London as the last train on the 6/7/11 had left, and days lost at work on the other end. I was compensated with three nights in a partner hotel and food vouchers.

I would like to know if I am entitled to compensation. I know this falls out of the EU zone, so EC 261/2004 does not apply. And I know AA will try to claim 'exceptional circumstances' due to the weather. But I know that I was lied to; the flights were not full and there must be a record of this. Thusly, I incurred an unnecessary delay and consequential loss for which I believe I am entitled to be compensated for.

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris.

The weather here in S. Fla the last 3 1/2 days has seen extremely heavy thunderstorms and rain showers. This then results in aircrafts having to hold in a circling pattern and a risk of a diversion. There for to thin out delays into and out of Miami were the aircraft was coming from they canceled the flight. Now AA's schedule from Miami to Bolivia may be one that is very limited to 3-4 times per week. there for once cancelation and you may not see American till the following service when it does operate.