View Full Version : It all went wrong, and on my birthday to boot!

02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
We left State College early for Philly, which I think was a mistake, because we arrived early in Philadelphia and there was no gate for us so we had to go back up in the air and ended up arriving late by 15 minutes. I came into Terminal F, was departing from Terminal A and without the delay, it was only a 40 minute connection to flight 958. I missed the plane, as did 3 or 4 others from the same flight. I have sat on planes when they were held for others, but they wouldn't do that for us, especially since it was the last flight out to Chicago. I then went to the US airways customer service expecting some help. I am 59 years old and have arthritis. I had already walked fast and run and my hip was hurting me. They informed me there was nothing they could do for me- no help with transportation to a hotel and no voucher for a hotel, nothing. Henry, the first person I dealt with was obviously a person with no decision making power. I asked to speak to his supervisor, whose name was Senada.She couldn't have been colder or more uncooperative. At one point, when I asked her name, she started trying to grab my boarding pass for the next morning's flight out of my hand. She then told me that the name she gave me was a false name. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she refused to let me. I ended up staying in the terminal, sleeping maybe two hours on a bench at the departing gate for the morning. The airport never quiets down so it was difficult to sleep. I spent money to buy a blanket and buy a little food. I don't know if I will ever fly U S Airways again. This was a terrible experience.

xjcaptain
02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry but going to have to call BS on this one. There is no way you got to the date early, had no gate available and then took off again to wait for a gate. Didn't happen....can't happen...

Zappin!
02-13-2012, 04:01 AM
lol no airline would ever take off and circle around, all to wait for a gate to open up! Do you know how much that would cost in fuel to perform another takeoff? It's way better to just sit on on the ground with an engine running.

02-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Well maybe they lied to us about what was happening but thats what they said. Nevertheless, the idiots at us airways should have allowed more than 40 minutes to get from f11 to A22 in the Philadelphia airport. It was their fault I missed the plane and at the very least, I should have been put up in a hotel.

xjcaptain
02-13-2012, 05:00 AM
"That's what they said"? You were there...Did you land, go to the gate, and then take off again? That's what you said in your op. As far as a tight connection you could see that when you booked the ticket so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
When you say you arrived in Philly early, do you mean in the air? I cannot fathom any circumstances in which an aircraft would land and then take off again. I can imagine the captain telling the passengers that they will need to circle due to airport congestion and you were then a little late for your connection. If the delay was not weather related, I think US Airways ought to have helped you more.

02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
We didn't land and go back up, my apologies if that's the impression I gave. We were coming close to the airport to land and had to circle back around. I had no way of knowing the distance from F11 to A22 in the Philadelphia airport. I have traveled all over the world and I don't remember having such a long way to go in such a short amount of time.

cortney
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I have taken that flight with the 40 minute connection from PHL-ORD. we also landed 10 minutes late due to atc. it was extremely tough. but the bus picks you up at terminal F and drops you off at the other termnials. was it tight to make a 30 minute connection...hell yes!! we didnt have to run but we did walk fast to make our flight. no airline should ever give a passenger a 40 minute connection. they are just setting up the passenger to miss a flight. can the short connection be done? yes. but only if you run and your plane lands on time, and lets face it, if you fly out on any airline on the east coast, your screwed with an on time departure or take off

Gromit801
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
If they booked through the airline, then the airline should have caught the tight connection window and advised them accordingly. If they booked online through a discount site, good luck, you're on your own.

02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
The airlines ought to block any connection of less than 1hour, and at some airports longer. Not all passengers are aware, it is a total lack of responsibility by the airline.

02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Hate to break it to ya'll but IATA, not the airlines, approve the minimum connection times. Can't blame the airlines for this one.

How are MCTs established or modified?
Establishment of and changes or exceptions to standard MCTs are governed by the provisions of IATA Resolution 765 Official MCTs are determined by the airport local MCT group, which consist of scheduled airlines and railways serving an airport, or if there is no such a group, by the Airport Operating Committee (AOC). Once IATA has been informed by such a group of the setting of, or changes to, existing official MCTs, IATA notifies the Scheduling community (including IATA partners such as CRS/GDS/schedule aggregators) of the changes by posting them on the IATA SkedLink.

HoustonFlyer
02-14-2012, 04:01 AM
A passenger is not concerned with gates or who sets connection times. If the OP was flying into Philadelphia and then out of Philadelphia on the same airline and both flights were sold to him together as a connection whether the airline sold it or an agent did, the airline is responsible if his plane into Philly did not land on time for hiim to make the connection. At age 59 and with arthritis, I would never have slept in the airport if it was me. Philadelphia has 2 star airport hotels for $50 - $60 a night with free airport buses and instead of sleeping on the airport floor I would have checked into one of these then later demanded that the airline reimburse my expense, and I feel sure that they would pay up if only to get rid of the nuisance value of my claim.

02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Judge,
I know we are BFF's and all, but did you actually read the stuff you linked us to? I discovered a little gem

"It is the airline's responsibility to set realistic connecting times to allow for connections of passengers and baggage"

Which rather negates your point!

02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes, I read it. The MCT's are governed by IATA. Any changes to the MCT's must be submitted to them. That tells me they are the final authority on MCT's around the world. Did I read it wrong?

02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
First, although I bow to your superior knowledge of aviation, I am not at all sure IATA has much to say about domestic airline schedules in the USA. My reading of the document is that IATA has a system for setting Minimum Connecting Times (note the word minimum), which is to facilitate airlines cooperation when connecting, by having a standard agreement by airport for connections. However, they specifically state that these Minimums do NOT absolve the airline of responsibility for ensuring that passengers and their baggage can make the connections they schedule.

IATA is more akin to a standards agency than a regulator. It does not dictate to airlines how they set their schedules or policies, but rathers sets international minimum standards to enable a diverse range of international airlines to meet minimum standards to facilitate cooperation.

02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Don't bow, it makes me blush. I will concede that IATA probably doesn't police MCT's. You highlighted the word minimum too. That's what their called, MINIMUM connecting times. They're not called intermediate connecting times or the longest connecting times possible.

Anyway, if you read this document I linked and I think you did, the people that set these times are not JUST airlines, they are airport authorities also. And thetr is a vote, it's not just one person or airline deciding this and there are a tremendous amount of factors that go into the time. I read other documents, as well and will be happy to link those if you desire.

I may have jumped the gun a bit in saying that it's not the airline's responsibility but people have to take a personal responsibility for things too. This world has turned into a blame the other guy world and that is a major problem, imo.