Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > U.S. Airline Complaints > Delta Air Lines Complaints > Complaints > Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked

Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Were you on a flight that was delayed, canceled, or overbooked?

Free Dating Site

Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
yoorbuddy yoorbuddy is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Delta Reservations Arbitrarily Cancelled

The issue: If your connecting tickets are arbitrarily cancelled, is this considered "being bumped"?

I have travelled over 250,000 miles with Delta and was a Platinum flyer for many years, so this incident is particularly painful to post.

It seems that now that I have retired, am flying on FF tickets and am accompanied by my children, Delta has forgotten me. 6 months of communication w/Delta has not resolved this issue.

Here are the facts which Delta does not dispute:

1. I was flying with on July 12, 2011 my wife and 2 children from Gainesville FL. to Philadelphia
2. Our flight was delayed by weather in Gainesville, FL. Our flight arrived late into Atlanta, but our connecting flight to Philadelphia did not board until 2 hours after we arrived in Atlanta.
3. When we arrived in Atlanta, we were told that our reservation had been cancelled, even though we had boarding passes!
4. We were booked on the next earliest flight with availability, which departed 24 hours later.

Delta claims that since we were not at the gate 20 minutes before our flight was originally scheduled to leave (which is true), they had a right to cancel our reservation, regardless of when the plane would eventually board.

As the weather in Atlanta was bad that afternoon, does that mean that they cancelled everyone else's reservation? No, of course not!

Our reservation was either cancelled by computer error, or by Delta to service full paying/Medallion passengers. I would like to hope it was the former.

No assistance was offered by Delta to help us with lodging and food for the next 24 hours.

Our family was arbitrarily "denied boarding" and FAA rules are very specific about the airline's responsibility.

It is difficult to have to post this about an airline I favored while working. I guess that retirees with families should not expect fair treatment.

Bennett Beer
Lafayette Hill, PA
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 AM

Join Date: Feb 2012

No, unfortunately in this circumstance, the FAA denied boarding compensation rules would not apply. These rules only apply when you are involuntarily denied boarding due to an over sale of a flight.

It's true that when you are not at the gate in time for the original scheduled departure time, even if the flight is delayed, your seats are subject to cancellation. It seems there were many weather delays in Atlanta that evening.

With weather delays, agents are literally standing by the phone ready for a call that says "Hurry up and board now because we have a takeoff time slot in 40 minutes!!". On a weather day, there are probably several standby passengers who's flights have cancelled and are hoping for seats to open up. Agents want to have those flights ready to board at any moment in case they get that phone call so seats of those not at the gate are released and given to standby passengers in case boarding needs to start immediately.

You technically weren't denied boarding. You missed your flight due to a weather delay. In this case, they rebook you without charging fees, but obviously lodging is not provided given it is a weather delay.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 AM

Join Date: Feb 2012

I should clarify, they probably didn't take attendance at the gate to see who was there... that's not something that is protocol. It is my guess that they boarded the flight, paged for you and when you didn't show up, released your seats to standby passengers. After boarding, the delay was created and they probably deplaned. That would explain why you didn't have seats. If they didn't board, they would have no idea that you weren't there and you would have still held seats on that flight.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 AM
yoorbuddy yoorbuddy is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Likelyhood of Plane Re-boarding?

I don't know how to prove it, but I don't think my connecting flight ever boarded as Delta never claimed this in prior communication with me. I'm not even sure, the connecting flight was even in Atlanta when we arrived!

What I really think happened is that the agent in GNV was concerned we might not make the connection so she "wait-listed" on a flight for the next day.

I believe, but can't prove, that somehow the system automatically cancelled our existing reservation and gave us the wait-list one.

Is there anyway to prove my contention? And if I am correct, what should Delta's responsibility be?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM

Join Date: Feb 2012

The agent at your initial check in point probably did put in the backup to protect you in case you didn't make the connection. They're not supposed to finalize it though, so maybe they did made that mistake? Who knows, several different things could have happened, so it's hard to prove anything and determine exactly why the events played out the way they did that night.

I suppose you could try to see if you could squeeze a few flight vouchers, or some miles for your FF account for your trouble, but you're not going to get much more than that. Checks are only cut to passengers when they have been involuntarily denied boarding due to an overbooking situation.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

The lack of protection for Passengers in the US is scandalous. People are routinely abandoned by airlines in a way that is utterly indefensible and which have only the most tenuous link to the weather. It is time to regulate and get rid of the "weather" excuse which airlines abuse daily. This has been done in Europe...fares didn't skyrocket, but the costs of meeting the basic needs of passengers is incorporated into the cost of the ticket.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Join Date: Mar 2012
Thumbs down Delta moves reservations - then charges if you need to change

March 12, 2012

My husband and I booked travel for July 6, 2012 on flight #2906 where the time of the flight departure was 10:45 am and arriving in LGA at 11:55 am. We are traveling to NY city for our anniversary and have plans that begin at 5 pm.

Today, I received an email that our reservation has been moved to flight #3027 which departs ROC at 2 pm and arrives in LGA at 3:03 pm; effectively canceling our plans for Friday evening.

Because of this change, I attempted to cancel this Delta arrangement and request a refund so that I could book a USAir flight that accommodates our schedule. It was explained to me that the credit would be given but had to be used by February 2013 and would cost $150 change fee -- plus the price of the new fare!

This is extremely disappointing to say the least. Please explain this policy that allows Delta at its discretion to move our reservation with no recourse for the customer to decline the change. I do not find any policy in the fine print of the ticket purchase. The bottom line is that we'll pay for the original ticket, $300 to change, another $? for future purchase AND the price of the needed ticket on USAir to try to get us there on time!

Last edited by Whiteiris; 03-12-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: confidentiality
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 AM

You should escalte this complaint and copy the complaint to the DOT. Delta are being typically unreasonable..
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Cool Getting somewhere with Delta

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I did write an email and a letter and also contacted Delta reservation sales on the phone. The rep said that since Delta had changed our flights and not us, that we could make a change without incurring that $150 each fee. I'm still convinced that we were "bumped" from our original reservation (Delta says that the flight was completely eliminated but that flight # and itinerary still exists on every other day). Hmmm, seems fishy.

Since this is a pleasure trip and for our wedding anniversary, its an emotional thing. It is rare that we can actually pull off a getaway due to work, kids, elder care, pets, finances, etc. that I tweaked when Delta changed our reservation. So the change will still cost us in terms of paying an extra day for sitters and such.

I've got a friend who works at the airport and plan to ask him to watch that date and flight. Just want to see if it actually does run and if I was correct that they overbooked it and bumped us off!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 AM

If it runs, you have a valid claim in small claims. Get your friend to tae a picture ofthe departures screen showing the departure on the day you booked. Let us knw if it runs.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Cool Watching Delta

Yes, I think so as well.. that I would have a claim. Sure would like to be able to call them out/challenge them on this issue if that flight does exist. Although they did relent on the change fee, I did not appreciate having to escalate my concern via several emails and phone calls to Delta. They provide "canned" responses which seems like a slap in the face when customers have a legitimate gripe.

My DH has made all of the necessary adjustments to our travel plans but I'm still irked at the shortened vacation weekend and added costs. Weather and maintenance issues are understandable; however overbooking just causes extra expense for passengers.

This is not my first negative experience with Delta. They are now my last choice for travel! Don't even care about the skymiles accumulated since using those just targets your reservation as subordinate to full fare reservations.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancelled Reservations/No Seats vladnar Reservations 3 12-21-2011 04:31 AM
Reservations cancelled without notice melocactus Reservations 2 11-04-2011 07:39 PM
Kudo to Jennifer @ Delta reservations aylasowner Reservations 0 08-09-2010 06:32 PM
Delta cancelled my flight xz157c Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 2 05-26-2010 02:49 AM
Cancelled Reservations & Poor CS hliiza Reservations 0 01-03-2009 11:55 PM

Free Mobile Dating | Yup.mobi | Free Walking Tour Barcelona
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

visitors