Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > Low Budget Airline Complaints > Spirit Airlines Complaints > Complaints > Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked
Register About Us FAQ Tips Airline Contacts Links Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Were you on a flight that was delayed, canceled, or overbooked?

Free Dating Site

Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Spirit overbooked again!!

Purchased 2 weeks ago a flight for my mother from LGA to LIM. Woke up this morning, took her to the airport, made sure her luggage was paid and taken care of and she was about an hour an a half away from flight time. Hours later she calls and tells me Spirit had overbooked this flight to Lima Peru by about 50 people! She had been early and her bag is now on its way to Lima, but she isn't! And she was there early! I can only assume the people that were boarded paid more? She said they kept moving people around from one gate to another until they said they were full! She hadn't purchased an assigned seat, so I am guessing if you didn't you were not treated as a priority customer? Even if you bought your ticket first! How is this behavior allowed? I've just scrolled through this board and see that this seems to be a usual occurrence. Who can I complain to about this? Thanks for listening to a newbie rant!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM

As she was denied boarding, she is entitled to compensation...you can complain to the DOT, via the quick links on this page. Spirit are hopeless and a "last resort" airline....unless you are a backpacker. They are simply not worth it unless it doesn't matter when you get there. I will allow my son when travelling to use them (and their European counterparts Ryanair), but if it matters if you get there, pay the extra and go on a serious airline. It often not much more by the time you have accounted for the "extras".
Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 AM

Talking Thank You!

Jim:
Thank you very much for your help! I spoke in more detail with my mother and she said there were so many people left without a flight. It just doesn't seem right... I certainly won't be using them for my mom again. Thanks again!