Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > International Airline Complaints > Etihad Airways Complaints > Check-in / Boarding

Check-in / Boarding Experienced problems during check-in or boarding?

Free Dating Site

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
as141221 as141221 is offline

Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Check in

I am writing to you in connection with the flight which I had booked through Eithad Airways Online. I am extremely disappointed at my most recent experience with this airline company.

On November 2nd 2012 I booked a trip to Cochin, India using Etihad Airways Online. I received my ticket that I booked through Etihad Airways online through my email. Unfortunately I had to change the date to a different day as something came up at my work. In order to change the date of my flight I called the office located in New York and spoke with an Eithad Airways agent who arranged to changed my original ticket date which was November 24th, 2012 to a later date for December 6th, 2012. The fee for this flight change was $200. I agreed to pay the difference and charged it on my debt card. My flight date was changed to December 6th,2012.

Upon our arrival at the John F. Kennedy Airport December 6th, we were stopped by the check in people saying we needed to produce the credit card that I had used to buy my ticket. Sadly, I did not have that card with me because in Cochin, India I do not use debit cards for purchases and I left the card at home. I asked the check in people why I needed to show them my credit card. They stated it was a means of identification. I had my passport, visa, driver’s license, but that was not enough. They kept on insisting I needed to show them the card that I used to buy my ticket.

I tried to find someone who could help me sort through this mess but no one was able to help my family and I sort through this situation. I spent about 10 hours at John F. Kennedy Airport, trying to sort out this mess and I missed my flight to Cochin. My family and I family were livid. Who ever you are I want you to imagine a scenario where you have been waiting for a long time to visit your homeland. You’re excited to go to your home country and the next thing you know you can not go because you’re stuck in the airport. My family and I were truly traumatized by this situation and felt that the employees of Etihad airways were very unprofessional and ill-prepared to make things right. The desk was very chaotic and disorganized. They never gave us options or helped us find a way to make our trip.

Based on our experience and the lack of any effort to compensate us or make up for these inconveniences, we are unlikely to be using Etihad airways or to recommend it to our family and friends. We feel like we paid good money to be inconvenienced and abused mentally, emotionally and physically!!

This experience has brought me to re-evaluate my airline choice. I don't think I will use your services ever again. I know given an airline of so much experience, I advise revised quality standard checks to be put in place.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM

This seems to be an ongoing problem with Etihad. It is reasonable for the airline to ask for the card holder to bring the card with them, when they have made a booking over the phone. This is a measure to protect against credit card fraud and is common in many industries, including collecting train and theatre tickets for example.

However, Etihad appear to be completely rigid in their implementation of this rule, which is designed to ensure that the cardholder is the person who made the booking. There are other ways they could ensure this, but they choose not to do so. As the OP pointed out, they had multiple means of ID. They could also contact the card issuer.

In another Etihad case outlined here, Etihad denied boarding to a person who bought the ticket and his card was subsequently reissued by his bank. As a result, it was impossible for the card holder to produce the card, as it no longer existed. Not only did Etihad refuse boarding, they made the cardholder buy another ticket. This is getting close to fraud...the airline is taking funds and refusing service, even where they know the identity of the passenger.

It is sad to see this happening at Etihad...as they have had a reputation as a customer focussed airline. They appear to be losing their way.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Prince77 Prince77 is offline

Join Date: May 2012
Default credit card required

Dear all,

there is frequently reported about problems at check-in when the trip was booked through the internet and payment done by credit card and the credit card was not shown at check-in counter due to various reasons (forgot, expired, changed to new one...)

In 2011 the was a court decision at Landgericht Frankfurt (county court) / Germany in favor of all passengers who did not show requested credit card at check-in counter: airline cannot refuse transport due to missing credit card if passenger can identify himself with other valid document.

As far as I know, this is applicable for all flights ex Europe.

A friend of mine who was refused transport previously received his money back and a compensation by free airline miles with Etihad.

Here is the link (only in German - sorry): hm - as I am a newcomer here cannot post link - will follow later

all the best
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Prince77 Prince77 is offline

Join Date: May 2012
Default link

... and here is the link regarding above court decision (only in German language - sorry)

cheers

Last edited by Prince77; 05-16-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot to insert - getting older, too
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 PM

This is useful...Etihad's actions are utterly ridiculous when the passenger can prove who they are.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check-In Suggestion Scooter_Flier Check-in / Boarding 0 01-30-2012 11:09 PM
Check-in CSR mpattil Check-in / Boarding 1 05-04-2011 06:32 AM
check in, but not while I'm on the phone... pitojenn2 Check-in / Boarding 9 09-18-2009 08:16 AM
Check-in Fiasco JonFromNebraska Check-in / Boarding 1 09-24-2008 12:10 AM

Free Mobile Dating | Yup.mobi
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

visitors