Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > U.S. Airline Complaints > United Airlines Complaints > Complaints > Customer Service
Register About Us FAQ Tips Airline Contacts Links Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Customer Service Have you had any problems with United's Customer Service? Have United employees treated you poorly?

Free Dating Site

Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM

Default War Hero Charged $654.00 for 18# overweight

I'm writing this on behalf of all military personnel and their families. My brother is the Marine in charge of the war effort in Afghanistan. Our father is dying, and his wife and kids flew home from Japan to see him. They were 18 pounds overweight on the return trip. United airlines charged them $654.00. Is this how United Airlines treats Military Hero's families? Now he is in Afghanistan worrying about his finances, thanks to United Airlines. He has served 3 tours in Iraq, and this is first in Afghanistan. The terrorist can't get him, but United Airlines did. Hopefully they will do right thing and refund his money. He is worried sick about his family now and is trying to handle this from Afghanistan. He needs to be concentrating on the terrorist and his personnel, not this.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM

United sent a "canned, cut and past reply" saying basically too bad, sucks to be your brother. How unpatriotic of United Airlines to put a US MARINE in combat, who's father is dying, and family is financially suffering in this position, then basically say "too bad" . $654.00 for 18 pounds is almost criminal. I will continue this fight for years if necessary.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 AM

$654!!!!! for an overweight what exactly? my best guess would be that they were travelling with a lot of luggage and had to pay extra bag and overweight fees? Please clarify exactly what the 654 was for.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Default War Hero Charged $654.00 for 18# overweight

She had two bags for her, and one each for two children. No bag was oversized as these were the same bags she flew to the states with. My brother is stationed in Okinawa and is on assignment to Afganistan. She flew United Airlines from Japan with no baggage issues. So, my guess is the bags were the right size. She purchased items she can not get in Okinawa to take back. Should she have been charged for overweight? Sure. But not $36.33 per pound. United Airlines is still stating that no refunds are ever given on overweight baggage. I have not asked for a complete refund, just a partial return. To me $10.00 is to high. but would be acceptable to my brothers family.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Angry War Hero Charged $654.00 for 18# overweight

United Airlines promised to call. Guess what, thier word is worse than their baggage charges. They won't even e-mail me to discuss. They said
that United Airlines can not offer refunds. When I explained that all rules, policies, procedures, and even laws have exceptions, they didn't reply. The government has a contract with United to transport troops. I will now see what affect I can have on that.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Former Airline Employee

I'm sorry to hear your brother was charged so much for the overweight bags, however I must say United, as all airlines have set rules. I know what you mean by saying that he is a hero, as all of our men & women fighting this war are, but why is it that their bags can be overweight if airlines clearly state the weight restrictions? I admit the fee is huge for 18lbs so I went to United's Website and found that they allow 2 bags at 50lb each, BUT if traveling on active military orders they are allowed 2 pcs at 70lbs each.
If the bags are over 50lbs then its a charge of 100$. Also, your bother was not traveling with them, so if there was an ecception airline employees had no way of knowing. I've worked for an airline for quite a few years and honestly people have used every excuse in the book to get out of those fees.
If they were overweight 18lbs in one bag then they were overcharged and I suggest you fight it, however, as I said, airlines have set rules, and everyone, war hero family or not, has to follow them. I hope your brother returns safe, My brother is stationed in Iraq also so I know what your going through.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Routinely Overcharge Military and Services

American Airlines recently hammered my brother in law in the Army out of Lawton airport while traveling under orders with mandated equipment in his orders (just over the weight limit).

I am routinely hammered being an employee of Military Sealift Command while traveling under MILITARY orders of the US Govt for having a second bag domestic or just being a little overweight for overseas flights.

US Carriers suck the farts out of dead birds.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 AM

My son is leaving for Iraq in September. My husband and I took all 3 of our children on a cruise as a last family vacation because we don't know when we will see them again. United cancelled our flight and couldn't have cared less about helping us. I would really like to see a day of boycott on United maybe that will get their attention. Mr. Carroll are you listening?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM

I would say keep bugging United.

I'm curious, what did your brother do? Bronze or Silver Star?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Frontier Airlines doesn't charge any military person with an active duty military ID card for any overweight and/or excess baggage. You don't have to provide a copy of orders. You simply show your military ID card and poof... no baggage fee, or overweight, or excess.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM

Default US-based airlines: Immunized against disgruntled customers

I would really like to see a day of boycott on United

You have to be a very small airline to be affected by disgruntled customers. Accordingly United, Delta/Northwest, American, even Alaska, are “immunized.” Look at Spirit Air. They lead the pack in complaints, yet not only do they show no signs of distress—they’re even expanding their route network! Actually, Spirit Air, from a perverted perspective, could be considered the most "honest" airline when it comes to customer complaints. For a long time, Spirit had no customer service contact phone number AT ALL. Now, Spirit has set-up such a number--a "call center," in INDIA. If you can understand 30% English and 70% Hindustani I guess you're in great shape! The only airline I can recall whose demise had customer dissatisfaction as a significant factor was someone called East Wind. They started-out in my former home town of Trenton, New Jersey; then moved to North Carolina. They were adding and dropping routes on an, almost, daily basis. The sad truth is if an airline can save someone $5 over the competition people will go to that airline. The CEO of Spirit Air has said something like that. Unfortunately too many people look only at price. Airlines are no different than anything else—cheaper is NOT always better. As I suggested in a previous post: Buying a $150 ticket, from Denver to New York—LaGuardia, during February, almost guarantees you’ll not only get no transportation, but that $150 will be “donated” to the airline!

The large US-based airlines understand only one thing—government regulations, fines for violations (when they’re not, later, sharply reduced or eliminated), and other enforcement actions. The Coalition for an Airline Passengers Bill of Rights (“CAPBOR”) is based not far from your home—in Napa. They advertise themselves as a generic passenger rights organization with their main focus being a limit on the time passengers can be held hostage in tarmac delays. For about the last two years they’ve been lobbying Congress, against the limitless resources (including big campaign contributions!) of the airlines and the Air Transport Association, for passenger rights reform. Their link is shown below.

http://www.flyersrights.com/

There is another airline passenger rights organization, (link shown below) but I know little about it. One always must be on the guard for “front organizations”—a so-called passenger rights organization (in this case) that has, really, been set-up, and is being supported, by the Air Transport Association, or the airlines themselves. The cigarette industry tried (unsuccessfully) such a strategy during the time there was a call for regulations to cigarettes.

http://www.flyfriendlyskies.com/index.html

As to the airlines stooges on here: Yes, I know, I went off the topic of the OP. I shall await your “stuck pig” screams and other stupid comments.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; 08-10-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM
United Employee

United doesn't fly to Okinawa. United can't waive fees for other airlines. This is what is known as a "2 leg excess" where both airlines (most likely the connection was on Al Nippon) get paid a prorated part of the IATA overweight baggage charge.

I sympathize with the OP, but what does his choice of careers have to do with the fees that an airline (or airlines) charges. There is no draft, so the selection of careers was made by him. Even if United wanted to waive the charge, they are checking a bag to another carrier, and the ONLY way to do that is to collect the charge upon checkin, and issue the 2 leg excess coupon to pay the connecting carrier.

Patriotism is nice, but it doesn't change the facts of the situation. The original poster didn't say that his/her brother wasn't overweight. The fees and weights are published. What is it exactly that United did to warrant a complaint here?

It's nice that Frontier doesn't charge. They also don't fly across the Pacific or have fares published to Okinawa. United also waives many fees for active military, but they can't waive fees for other countries' carriers that might not be so supportive of a foreign party's patriotism. Flag waiving is the in thing these days, but the facts by the OP support the published rules of the tariff for which the OP's brother agreed to upon purchase.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Thumbs down what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Hero's Brother View Post
I'm writing this on behalf of all military personnel and their families. My brother is the Marine in charge of the war effort in Afghanistan. Our father is dying, and his wife and kids flew home from Japan to see him. They were 18 pounds overweight on the return trip. United airlines charged them $654.00. Is this how United Airlines treats Military Hero's families? Now he is in Afghanistan worrying about his finances, thanks to United Airlines. He has served 3 tours in Iraq, and this is first in Afghanistan. The terrorist can't get him, but United Airlines did. Hopefully they will do right thing and refund his money. He is worried sick about his family now and is trying to handle this from Afghanistan. He needs to be concentrating on the terrorist and his personnel, not this.
If he is the tea of operations for the illegal war and worried about $600 in overcharges that will prevent him from feeding his family, perhaps he should up his huge salary or just take some of the billions per day he is spending over there and have them sent some steak. Get real please. Or provide better stories. Have you even been to school?http://www.airlinecomplaints.org/images/smilies/eek.gif