COMPLAINT: Qantas Refuses to provide credit

Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:05 PM
jamalawow jamalawow is offline

Join Date: Mar 2014

I have purchased four Qantas tickets for me and my family to travel to Melbourne Australia. My wife and kids left before me and were waiting for me in Melbourne. When it was time for me travel, I was unable to obtain the Electronic Travel Authority visa to Australia because the consulate took weeks to process my visa. The visa usually takes 15 minutes to process, but in my case, it took days. I applied for the Electronic Travel Authority on February 27 2013 and my travel date was March 3rd through March 20. Unfortunately, I didn't receive my visa by the departure date. I have called Qantas to get a refund since I didn't use the ticket. First they refused to talk to me because I bought the ticket through a travel agent. It is their policy not to help those who hold a Qantas ticket if the ticket is bought through a travel agent. Basically if you donít buy the ticket directly from them, then you don't exist to them. They even advised I sue the travel agent in order to get a refund because they weren't going to help me. What kind of an airline advises their passengers to sue the people that sell their tickets.

Anyways, I got a hold of my travel agent and he tried to get me a refund and they kept denying the claim. It clearly states on their website that if there are events beyond your control that cause you to miss your departure, then "we will give you a credit for the non-refundable part of the fare for future travel on us provided that you haven't used the ticket, told us promptly, and have given satisfactory evidence that the events were beyond your control"

I forwarded the agent the "we are processing your visa" email from the consulate few times and he has forwarded to Qantas. He showed me a letter showing that they have repeatedly denied the claim because the visa wasnít denied. What I tried to tell them was that I couldn't travel when I wanted because I didn't have a visa - which is an event beyond my control. They also at some point made excuses that I didn't file for the visa early enough. I filed days prior to my departure. The visa only takes 15 minutes tops. I applied the visa for my entire family, and they were able to get it in 15 minutes.

Qantas is trying to find any and every excuse possible to deny my claim. I have proven that there were events beyond my control that prevented me from travelling. I will never ever fly Qantas ever again and I will tell my story to whomever that will listen. Because this is robbery, unethical and it is what gives the airline industry a bad name. What a sh$$%t airline.

Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:32 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Originally Posted by jamalawow View Post
I filed days prior to my departure. The visa only takes 15 minutes tops.
It is clear that it takes many days to obtain the necessary visa, your own statements provide the evidence. Your assumptions regarding the expected time element are obviously false. Since you failed to obtain the required visa in a timely fashion, I fail to see why this should be the responsibility of Qantas.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:52 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Under normal circumstances the Australian ETA takes minutes. It is entered into the computer and approved instantly. This sounds like a failure on the Australian Government's part, unless there was a reason to deny approving the visa. Most airlines, however, will make accommodations for such situations and will allow travel at a later time without charging enormous change fees and penalties.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:40 AM
AirlineSympathizer AirlineSympathizer is offline

Join Date: May 2012

Originally Posted by jamalawow View Post
Frankly this is your fault. It says very clearly (including on the Qantas site) that you need to apply as far in advance as possible for this very reason. Feb 27th is a Thursday (A friday in Australia, which needs to be involved when you fail the initial check) You allowed only a few days (two of which are non-business days) to process a visa to another country.

It's true Qantas will refund if your visa is denied, but it wasn't, as they stated. You failed to apply in a timely manner.

qantas

Qantas refuses woman with guide dog - ABC Online RSS Feed Qantas Complaints 0 Dec 9, 2009 12:53 PM
Customer Service Delta didn't provide wheelchair or any help in Atlanta WONTFLYDELTAEVERAGAIN Delta Air Lines Complaints 55 Sep 4, 2009 1:11 AM
Customer Service Continental - unable to provide medical attention JCisnero Customer Service 7 Aug 9, 2009 1:46 AM