Airline Complaints

Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
stephenashleysneddon stephenashleysneddon is offline

Join Date: Mar 2011
Angry American Airlines Ripoff

My wife & I went to the States & Canada last December from Australia. As we are One World Ruby members we tried to book American Airlines where possible and thus we had a flight from L.A. to Vancouver on the 4 December 2010. We got to the check in and they asked us to pay to check our four bags in . This was our first internal U.S. flight and with airport security etc we didn't want any problems so I paid the money and said that I would contact AA to get a refund.
Their web site clearly states that their are no checked baggage charges for One World Ruby Members on U.S. Canada Flights
The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.
• For tickets purchased on or after September 14, 2009, customers traveling to, from, or through an international destination that does not include Europe or India
• Customers traveling to, from, or through Mexico if the ticket was purchased before May 3, 2010
• Customers traveling between the Caribbean or Central America and the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Europe and India if the ticket was purchased before February 10, 2011
• Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
• Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
• Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
• Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
• American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
• oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
• Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

I wrote to American Airlines and got this reply.

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

We apologize for the confusion over the checked bag charge that you paid when travelling on
American Airlines.

Although all of the oneworld carriers attempt to be consistent on as many policies as possible, there are operational constraints which make this difficult in some instances. In the circumstances you described, American Airlines does not offer Qantas Airlines elite members an exception to the checked bag charge, as they do when travelling with Qantas Airlines. This same holds true for American Airlines AAdvantage® elite members when travelling on other oneworld carriers. We apologize that this took you by surprise.

Mr. Sneddon, we will continue our efforts to develop the best customer-driven global alliance in the airline industry. Your feedback will help us to do just that, we must ensure that you are not disappointed again. We look forward to an opportunity to provide you with a better trip the next time you travel with any of the member airlines in the oneworld® alliance.

Sincerely,

Kevin Smithwick
Customer Relations
American Airlines

Won't ever fly with American Airlines again
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM

Surely they are in breach of contract, unless they made the terms of that contract available to you. I think you would win in court, but that is difficult in Australia, for an internal flight. US based airlines standards have deteriorated so badly, they are like travelling on some African airlines. It won't be long before airline employees will be asking for bribes to waive charges.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
stephenashleysneddon stephenashleysneddon is offline

Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Thanks for your reply

I do have other bad stories of American Airlines during our 6 week trip in the States and Canada.
They have got to be the rudest and most inefficient airline that I have ever been on.
Yes they are in Breach of their own policy, and they probably know that I have got little chance of taking them to court as I am in Australia.
However I will do my best to see that I do the maximum financial damage to them by letting everyone know never to fly AA

HTML code is On

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spirit Airlines ripoff $9 Fare Club a joke sgolesh Customer Service 9 09-29-2011 07:03 PM
Jetstar excess baggage ripoff yublocka Other Airline Complaints 1 01-17-2011 02:01 AM
AirTran Airways - baggage ripoff! RicMic Baggage Problems 5 05-15-2009 11:45 PM
Bagage Size Ripoff noodles76 Baggage Problems 8 04-10-2009 02:11 AM

Free Mobile Dating | Yup.mobi | Free Walking Tour Barcelona
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

visitors