My wife & I went to the States & Canada last December from Australia. As we are One World Ruby members we tried to book American Airlines where possible and thus we had a flight from L.A. to Vancouver on the 4 December 2010. We got to the check in and they asked us to pay to check our four bags in . This was our first internal U.S. flight and with airport security etc we didn't want any problems so I paid the money and said that I would contact AA to get a refund.
Their web site clearly states that their are no checked baggage charges for One World Ruby Members on U.S. Canada Flights
The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.
• For tickets purchased on or after September 14, 2009, customers traveling to, from, or through an international destination that does not include Europe or India
• Customers traveling to, from, or through Mexico if the ticket was purchased before May 3, 2010
• Customers traveling between the Caribbean or Central America and the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Europe and India if the ticket was purchased before February 10, 2011
• Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
• Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
• Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
• Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
• American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
• oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
• Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
I wrote to American Airlines and got this reply.
Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.
We apologize for the confusion over the checked bag charge that you paid when travelling on
Although all of the oneworld carriers attempt to be consistent on as many policies as possible, there are operational constraints which make this difficult in some instances. In the circumstances you described, American Airlines does not offer Qantas Airlines elite members an exception to the checked bag charge, as they do when travelling with Qantas Airlines. This same holds true for American Airlines AAdvantage® elite members when travelling on other oneworld carriers. We apologize that this took you by surprise.
Mr. Sneddon, we will continue our efforts to develop the best customer-driven global alliance in the airline industry. Your feedback will help us to do just that, we must ensure that you are not disappointed again. We look forward to an opportunity to provide you with a better trip the next time you travel with any of the member airlines in the oneworld® alliance.
Won't ever fly with American Airlines again