Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > U.S. Airline Complaints > Continental Airlines Complaints > Complaints > Check-in / Boarding
Register About Us FAQ Tips Airline Contacts Links Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Check-in / Boarding Experienced problems during check-in or boarding?

Free Dating Site

Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM

Thumbs down Denied Boarding with Valid Passport

Was denied flight check-in at airport at passport expired March 24, 2012 due to supposed Costa Rican law (60-days from date of flight). I was never asked for passport information before arriving at airport. I have flown internationally many times on other airlines and cannot purchase ticket until passport is cleared. How am I expected to know international law? Additionally, when I was denied flight, I called continental.com to address the issue. The company researched and told me I could indeed fly. I was approved to fly as I had a return flight and was still within 30 days from passport expiration. They would put a note in my file and told me to go back to the airport to get on the flight. I was denied service a second time even though parent company (United) approved the flight and made notes. The desk attendants were smarmy and rude. No one offered assistance and simply told me I could not fly and I was holding up the line. I have since hired a 24-hour turn around passport renewal service and will attempt flight tomorrow morning.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM

This is a common problem.... Many countries refuse entry to anyone with less than 6 months on their passport. The airlines can be fined if you are refused entry. However, the staff here seem particularly awkward. If they checked the rules and it was clear you would not be refused, I think they shoud have let you fly. Unfortunately, all airlines make it the responsibility of passengers to understand the entry rules for the countries they are travelling to.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Airline Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Was denied flight check-in at airport at passport expired March 24, 2012 due to supposed Costa Rican law (60-days from date of flight). I was never asked for passport information before arriving at airport. I have flown internationally many times on other airlines and cannot purchase ticket until passport is cleared. How am I expected to know international law? Additionally, when I was denied flight, I called continental.com to address the issue. The company researched and told me I could indeed fly. I was approved to fly as I had a return flight and was still within 30 days from passport expiration. They would put a note in my file and told me to go back to the airport to get on the flight. I was denied service a second time even though parent company (United) approved the flight and made notes. The desk attendants were smarmy and rude. No one offered assistance and simply told me I could not fly and I was holding up the line. I have since hired a 24-hour turn around passport renewal service and will attempt flight tomorrow morning.
Part of this could be that your passport may not have been in good condition. Costa Rica requires your passport to be in good condition so that it can be scanned. This is the Costa Rican Entry requirements that were relased in 2011:
Entering, Exiting and Re-entering Costa Rica
- - The New Law - -
Costa Rica’s new immigration law, Ley de Migración y Extranjería Nº 8764, went into effect March, 2010. It has changed several times since. While parts of the law are not yet enforced and interpretations vary, it is important to know that it is ultimately the traveler who is held accountable for having the proper documents to enter and exit the country.
See the information below for what you need to enter, exit and re-enter Costa Rica as of January, 2012:

• Passport: A passport must be in good condition, and, depending upon your country of origin, it must be valid for three to six months.
    • The Letter of the Law: Pasaporte en buen estado (la vigencia mínima del pasaportes corresponderá a tres meses para las personas nacionales de los países ubicados en el primer y segundo grupo de las Directrices de Ingreso a Costa Rica y seis meses para aquellas del tercer y cuarto grupo).

• Onward (Exit) Ticket: Before being allowed to board a flight or enter the country, tourists must have documented, verifiable proof that they will be exiting the country (continuing their journey or returning from where they arrived, “Tiquete de continuidad de viaje o retorno al país de procedencia”) before their visa expires.
    • Proof can be in the form of a round trip ticket, a pre-purchased airline or bus ticket to another country or documentation verifying passage by sea. The ICT states that “All visitors must have an entry and exit ticket, whether it is by air or by land (bus), as the case may be, as a requirement to entre (sic) the country.”

• A one way ticket: Please note that the definition of a one way ticket includes not only a one way ticket into the country but also
    • a ticket into Costa Rica with departure booked from another country
    • a roundtrip ticket with a departure date scheduled after one’s visa expires, typically 90 days after entry.
  • Visas: Most travelers are automatically issued a visa (stamped on their passport) when they enter the country and not before. Visitors from the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan are allowed to stay in the country for up to 90 days. Those from other countries should check with their nearest consulate.
  • Economic Resources: Tourists must be able to show that they have $100 for every month they will be in the country.
  • Departure Tax: Travelers are required to pay an exit tax before leaving the country via the airport and at most borders. $28 USD is currently charged those exiting at the airport and those leaving at a border crossing pay less.
  • Exit: Tourists are required to exit the county before their visa expires.
  • Overstaying Visa: The law states that “persons who overstay the time allowed on their visa may have to pay $100 and cannot return for three times as many days as they exceeded the time allotted.”
  • Re-entry: Tourists can exit and re-enter Costa Rica if they have the documents required to enter the country, including a valid passport and an onward/outbound ticket. The law does not state that tourists need to stay out of the country for 72 hours before re-entry, as is often stated by travel sites.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320FAN View Post
Part of this could be that your passport may not have been in good condition. Costa Rica requires your passport to be in good condition so that it can be scanned. This is the Costa Rican Entry requirements that were relased in 2011:
They also clearly require 3-6 months validity on the passport depending on the origin. Looking at the Costa Rican Embassy in Washington, DC website, they require 3 months validity for a US Passport. The OP stated it expired 24Mar12. If they were trying to enter Costa Rica after 24Dec11 then the airline did everything appropriately.