Airline Complaints

Go Back   AirlineComplaints.org > U.S. Airline Complaints > Delta Air Lines Complaints > Complaints > SkyMiles Complaints

SkyMiles Complaints Have you tried using your miles or elite status but encountered problems? Had any problems earning mileage?

Free Dating Site

Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM

Default Whiteboard Survey Research Scam

I received an email invitation from Delta Air Lines asking for me, as a Medallion customer to participate in survey research and receive Skymiles for doing so. I've had many years experience as a passenger and went through the steps to register, thinking I was registering with Delta Air Lines.

But these surveys have nothing to do with service on Delta Air Lines or about air travel. This is just a deceptive scheme to get people to take online surveys. It has gotten harder and harder for research companies to get people to participate in online surveys. The surveys I was asked to complete were about IT services.

Delta has apparently sold to Whiteboard the names and frequent flyer information about Medallion customers. Beware emails in the name of Delta Air Lines that are really from what appears to be a survey research company.

Have any others fallen for this scam? Is Delta that hard up for cash?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM

In Europe, this would be a breach of Data Protection laws. Doesn't Delta have to ask your consent to pass on your email address to outside agencies?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Buyer beware!

In the USA, the rule is "Buyer beware." Delta sent me the email and, foolish me, I hit the "Join Now" button and was sent to this Whiteboard research site to complete a form registering me for emails inviting me to complete a survey on my opinions on hamburgers, computers, and detergents. In return, they say I'll get Skymiles. Delta will say they just sent the email and that I made the decision to join. In fact Whiteboard may not have had my Skymiles data.

My complaint is that Delta would get involved in the deception. Somewhere there must be a place on the delta.com site where I can opt out of third-party offers. But this was a direct Delta offer.

The US operates like the Wild West, where it is every man for himself. Delta put out the bait and I took it. Delta will say they were just trying to make a few bucks on the side, regardless of how I and other frequent flyers now perceive Delta. Now that American Airlines is in trouble, Delta feels like they are #1 and don't have to try to care for their most loyal customers any more.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
javabytes javabytes is offline

Join Date: Feb 2012

You control your own contact preferences. Log in to your SkyMiles account. Hover over the SkyMiles tab at the top of the page, and click Manage My Account. On the page you land on, click Manage Profile. On your Profile, there is a Contact Me tab. There are checkboxes on that page that control whether Delta contacts you for:
- Fares Sales and Last Minute Deals
- Your SkyMiles Statement
- SkyMiles Partner Updates and Offers
- Delta SkyMiles Promotions
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Delta say message not from Delta

Delta customer service says the invite to Medallion SkyMiles customers to participate in surveys at the Whiteboard site (www thewhiteboard com) and get Skymiles points in return was not sent by Delta. The email address from which the message was sent is deltaairlines at e.delta.com
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
javabytes javabytes is offline

Join Date: Feb 2012

The Delta CSR is probably wrong. Delta frequently sends partner offers using that email address. I wouldn't expect a CSR to be up to date on what their marketing team is sending out email blasts for. Log in to your SkyMiles account using the instructions I posted and check to see whether you have partner offers enabled.

More on Delta's email campaigns: http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...rams/index.jsp
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Default Delta program

I think you may be right about this being a Delta affiliate. I have gone to the Delta site as you suggested and modified my profile. This seemed deceptive to me in that this appeared to be a Delta program. Instead it is what appears to be a seedy ploy to get people to do online surveys. People hate to do these surveys but will fill them out with whatever answers are wanted if they feel like they are getting paid. I don't believe Delta's image is helped by affiliation with these companies.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
mooper mooper is offline

Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As you had previously chosen to receive marketing emails from Delta and their partners, and this particular invite was very clear that it involved answering surveys about your consumer and business behaviors, I'm not sure how you can deem it "deceptive". If you had elected not to receive marketing emails, you wouldn't have, and if you wanted to receive them but didn't like this particular one, you didn't have to join. What specific aspects of the offer qualify it as a "ploy"?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 AM

Default Deception

My perception was that Delta was asking me to use my experience as a frequent flyer to give them my opinions on how to improve Delta's services. There was no disclosure that Delta was using my loyalty to Delta by selling the prestige of the Delta name to get Medallion members to help a research company find respondents for surveys that have nothing to do with Delta or air travel. The is a designed ploy to get more people to open the email.

Had the research company sent me, in their name, an email saying that they were giving Delta or another frequent flyer points in exchange for completing a questionnaire, I would never had opened the email. My guess is that people who need to build frequent flyer points might have opened the email, even from a research company, and found this to be a good way to do so.

The research company pays Delta for this introduction to its top customers. I've now opted out of the email because this email deceived me and, I'm sure, others as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 AM
mooper mooper is offline

Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Had you perceived that they were going to throw you a parade, it wouldn't place them at fault unless they said things that would make a reasonable person think that. Similarly, as they said nothing that indicated they'd use your responses *solely* to improve Delta services, they can't be at fault for leading you to believe that. Would you kindly cite the specific language that led you to this conclusion? It was very clear in what the intent was. When you saw that Delta not only wasn't hosting the site, but that the questions were for general business purposes (including air travel - not sure why you presume none of the questions deal with travel when they do) - why did you answer them all? Just quite/unsubscribe and no more harm is done than your hopes being let down - correct?

Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The research company's name was plastered all over the email, was the domain of the link you clicked (do you always click links without first seeing what domain it points to?), and the site it directed you to. It specified as clear as day precisely that you wanted it to specify... that you'd be answering business-related questions that would help companies like Delta in exchange for rewards.

That's correct.

Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say that you, and perhaps some others who *actively accepted marketing emails from Delta* forgot that and didn't read carefully before acting. Once you did act, instead of just abandoning, you plodded on so you could complain.
Reply With Quote

delta, email, skymiles, surveys, whiteboard

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mishandled Baggage Research Researcher General Discussion 3 04-22-2013 01:37 PM

Free Mobile Dating | Yup.mobi | Free Walking Tour Barcelona
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

visitors