View Full Version : Customer Service Cabin change and BA not responding to requests for refund

DeeCee
Apr 17, 2013, 2:43 PM
My husband booked a BA flight from Bermuda to Gatwick traveling in World Traveller Plus. The day before his return journey he received a message informing him that he would not be able to check in online and choose his seat due to an 'equipment change' and that he should call a particular number to check in by phone and be allocated his seat. After several frustrating hours trying to get through to the number and finding it continually busy he eventually reached someone who checked him in but told him that he could not be accommodated in World Traveller Plus but would be seated in Economy. However, he was told he would be entitled to a refund of the difference in price (more of that later in this post) and he should apply for this when he returned home. The day after his return I emailed BA via their website but received a reply telling me that I would have to go to the BA office in Bermuda to apply for a refund as it could not be done via the website. Now the BA office in Bermuda is not a regular office, just an airport office open for approx 2 hours per day when the BA flight comes in and leaves. So I called the office and could only reach voicemail so I left a message detailing the nature of the call and left my tel. number and my husbands. We did not hear back. I called again two days later and left a voicemail for the BA Manager for Bermuda - never heard back. There is also a fax number given for this office so I faxed all the documentation (original booking, eticket and the boarding pass showing my husband sat in Economy on return journey)plus a covering letter explaining the situation. We heard nothing. Over a week went by and eventually my husband drove to the airport and managed to speak to someone in the office. They were very apologetic about not returning the calls or acknowledgement of the fax but told him they could not help him he would have to deal with BA Customer Relations in Jamaica, NY and gave him the fax number (no telephone number available) so he could fax all the documentation. On 4th April 2013 I faxed all the documentation and a covering letter to the NY office. We heard nothing. So on 7th April, 2013 I resent the documentation and another covering letter. Now we are at 17th April and we have still not heard a thing back from BA.

In the meantime I have found out that EU Regulations say that we are, in fact, entitled to a refund of 75% of the ticket price. '2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3) reimburse.......................' and as my husband's flight was over 1,500 kilometres it is stated he should be entitled to reimbursement of the 75% of the price of the ticket.

It is now way beyond 7 days as mentioned in the EU Regs. and I still cannot get a reply out of BA. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can proceed from here on in? Obviously I cannot call the NY office as there appears to be no telephone number published anywhere. Our local office cannot deal with this and the BA website tell me they cannot deal with it either.