AirlineComplaints.org

AirlineComplaints.org (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/index.php)
-   Air Berlin Complaints (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Berlin baggage issue and Delta's miserable customer service (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/showthread.php?t=8167)

jlg22_2000 Dec 22, 2010 11:22 PM

Berlin baggage issue and Delta's miserable customer service

I flew first-class from JFK to Tegel this past week. When I arrived at Tegel, my luggage was not at the airport. I waited 2.5 hours to speak with a representative from GlobeGround--the company to which Delta has outsourced baggage handling at Tegel. GlobeGround said they had no trace of my luggage and that it might take a week to recover it.

When I arrived at my hotel, I looked on Delta's lost-baggage web site under the file number provided at the airport by GlobeGround. According to the website, there was no trace of my luggage. I attempted to reach Delta's lost-baggage number. I was on hold for 30 minutes before giving up the first time. When I called back an hour later, I could not get through because of a constant busy signal. After trying for 30 minutes, I got in touch with one person who told me there was no trace of the baggage and that I should call back later. A few hours later, I called back. Again, I had difficulty getting past the busy signal. Once I did, I had to wait 40 minutes to speak to someone. According to that person, my bag had been 'released" but the representative could not explain what that meant and suggested that I call again later. I called hours later. I had to call over 15 times before getting past the busy signal. Against, I had to wait almost 40 minutes to speak with someone. This time, I was told that the bags had been taken to Tegel at 2 PM on December 21 and that I should contact Globeground about this matter.

I contacted Globeground via email, but they didn't have a record of the bags being release. So I again called Delta (again, had to call more than 15 times to get a non-busy line and then had to wait 40 minutes to speak with someone). That person indicated that the bags had been delivered to Tegel and that the matter was closed from Delta's perspective. I was informed that I had to deal with Globeground from now on. I returned to Tegel airport (a 40-minute trip from my hotel) and waited 2.5 hours to speak with a representative from GlobeGround. They informed me that Delta had not informed them of any bags arriving in Tegel. They told me to go the baggage claim area. I did so, and waited 40 minutes to speak with someone. That person checked the baggage area (I was not permitted to look in the room for security reasons), and informed me that he could not locate my bags. He suggested that I contact Delta. When I told him that Delta had closed the matter, he shrugged his shoulders.

Unfortunately, certain prescription medication was located in my luggage. While I had enough in my carry-on to last me a few days, I did not anticipate being told that my luggage was likely completely lost for my entire two-week trip. As a result, I will need to cut my trip short after having spent most of the trip (~16 hours) in the airport or on the phone with Delta. There is still no trace of my luggage, and Delta has ruined this vacation. I have been a skymiles member for several years and have chosen Delta over other airlines. Never again. After this trip is over, I will be removing myself from the Skymiles program, de-activiating my American Express Delta card, and will make my experience well-known to my friends and professional colleagues. I understand that I'm just one customer and that my business going elsewhere doesn't make a meaningful difference to Delta's bottom line. If I convince my friends and colleagues to stay from Delta, that impact won't be significant either. But maybe the disgraceful way that I've been treated will mean something to someone at Delta who takes pride in his or her work. Regardless, I'm taking my business to other airlines that take customer service seriously and that realize that when someone spends a significant sum of money on a ticket, the airline has a responsibility to ensure that the traveler and his luggage arrive safely at the destination.

jimworcs Dec 22, 2010 11:53 PM

Delta are consistently poor when things go wrong..it is not a one off. In future, I recommend you fly business or first class with Lufthansa for this route

Researcher Dec 23, 2010 1:46 AM

Dear user: I am developing a Doctoral research on Mishandled baggage (see General Discussion- Mishandled Baggage Research ) Could you please, provide the airline complaint form (minus personal information) you filled with the airline or send me an email to [email protected] and I will send a survey. The survey is very similar to the one you must file with the airline and does not contain personal information.
Thanks before hand