AirlineComplaints.org

AirlineComplaints.org (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/index.php)
-   American Airlines Complaints (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baggage Problems Rude employee threw my luggage destroying xmas gifts aa will not pay for it (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/showthread.php?t=14161)

shoegirl Mar 16, 2018 1:47 AM

Rude employee threw my luggage destroying xmas gifts aa will not pay for it

AAdvantage Number :5J2FE08
Flight Date: December 30, 2017
RIC to LHR
AA Ref# 1-26024307730

I am writing to express my disgust and frustration about my most recent trip from RIC to LHR on December 30th. This trip was ticketed on June 18th, as first class/business class tickets. Over the last four years, I have travelled the route of RIC to LHR flying first class or business class. The checked bagged allowance has always been 75lbs. On December 30th, when I arrived at RIC, I encountered one of the rudest ticket counter employees employed by American airlines. While waiting in the priority line an employee by the name of Spencer who barely acknowledge me, and managed to squeeze out a dry “can I help you”, and assisted me. Based on his noticeably rude demeanour, I began recording our interactions. When the time came to weigh my first suitcase the weight was 72lbs, to my surprise Spencer advised me that the bag was over the limit. I disputed this fact and advised him that international first class flights have a baggage allowance of 75lbs. Spencer asked me to show him where that was posted online. At this point, I asked for his manager. His manager came over and Spencer explained my complaint. The manager advised me that the baggage allowance changed on December 15, 2017? I responded that since my tickets were purchased in July, as a customer I should not be held to new restrictions which were implemented less than two weeks ago.

Needless to say, my second bag weighed 77lbs, Spencer and his “supervisor"were not attempting to accommodate me, so I had to unpack both suitcases, to bring the allowance down. I even questioned being able to check a third bag since I was flying first class, Spencer advised me that was not an option. During this back and forth exchange, passengers waiting in the line began making comments to myself that the workers were hassling me unnecessary. As I turned to comment to one of the passengers, Spencer picked up my suitcase and threw it on the luggage belt. Instantly, everyone heard a loud crack. I was still recording our interactions, but had briefly turned away from the counter to comment to the passenger, but the loud crack could be heard on the video, as well as my confrontation with Spencer for throwing my suitcase.

Prior to Spencer picking up the suitcase, my mother and I were struggling to place the suitcase on the scale. I asked Spencer twice for help and he just stared at us. I mentioned to him that one of the legs on the luggage was weak due to previous damaged caused by AA, despite being informed about that, Spencer decided to throw my suitcase, as a result, the weakened leg is now completely cracked and hanging off. After removing some of the garments from my suitcases to bring them down to the 70lb limit, I placed some of the items in a garment bag( which would be used as a carry on), and the other items I had to give to my mother to keep, in the hopes that she could ship them to me in the UK . While walking to the departure gate, another passenger who witnessed Spencer throwing my suitcase, approached me and apologised for what I experienced. The shear horror of this experienced, was magnified because multiple passengers witnessed the harassing and rude behaviour I as subjected to. I have a video of the interaction with Spencer, and once I turned away from the counter, a loud crack can be heard on the video after Spencer threw my luggage. I immediately confronted him on camera and he denied it and walked away.

Secondly, Spencer lied about me being unable to check a third bag considering I was in first class. If he had been honest about me being able to check a third bag, I would have utilised a suitcase my mother had in the trunk of her vehicle, but instead, I had to leave a lot of my items due to them not fitting in the garment bag. Lastly, the appalling behaviour displayed by Spencer was unacceptable, and should be of concern for your airlines. He purposely threw my suitcase damaging it, and then attempted to minimise his actions. His supervisor, was basically useless, she did not intervene to help resolve this situation nor did she apologise for Spencer’s actions. She failed miserably as an individual in supervisory position who should have acted as a buffer during this exchange. Due to Spencer’s actions, the leg of my suitcase is now completely hanging off, and a set of 3 candles I received as a gift were completely destroyed.

I spoke with Issata and a baggage claim manager, they agreed to pay for my damaged bag, but not for the damaged items. I then spoke with another rep Brett, who advised me that AA would send me a $150 voucher for future travel?? What? Why would I want to continue to patronise a business who allows their employees to damage customers items without being held accountable for it? Brett responded, “Well if we lose you as a customer its just one of those things”.

I spoke with Ceasar Romero, Baggage claim manager, who advised me that he viewed my video and the employee could not be seen throwing the luggage. I advised Ceasar that I never advised him that my video showed Spencer throwing my luggage, but rather the loud crack of my luggage was audible. Moreover, I advised Cesar he could look at the surveillance video from the counter, and see that Spencer threw my luggage. To my surprise, Cesar responded: “We are not going to do that”. It is appalling that this is the manner in which AA treats their loyal passengers. I have flown with this company for over 15 years, but never again! I have emailed corporate 6 times about this issue; no response.