AirlineComplaints.org

AirlineComplaints.org (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/index.php)
-   American Airlines Complaints (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked A present-day "Rule 240???" (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/showthread.php?t=3653)

Butch Cassidy Slept Here Feb 23, 2009 6:23 AM

A present-day "Rule 240???"

Has anyone had an experience where they were able to get an American Air agent to actually honor this rule? There is no mention of bad weather. But, it's difficult to imagine this rule would be honored under those circumstances. Or, is bad weather an "ok thing" under this rule?? As you'll note, this current "rule 240" went into effect during this past April.

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

Hopefully, there will be a few people on here who will NOT think I fabricated this entire webpage. I understand people say I'm an expert at that!

Jetliner Feb 23, 2009 10:16 PM

If there is no mention of weather, then it would not normally be used for that. The reason the airlines don't reaccomodate in weather is that the airline has to pay the other airline for the seat they used.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the new effective date. I'm sure something has changed, but what is your question on that?

jimworcs Feb 24, 2009 1:19 AM

Actually, there does appear to be a reference to weather.. this is the quote:

Quote:

Schedule Irregularity
An unplanned change or cancellation which normally occurs on the day of departure.
Examples - mechanical, ATC (Air Traffic Control), crew legality, weather.
I am puzzled by this, as I understood that US airlines would not reaccommodate if the delay was weather related. Indeed many are guilty of finding the remotest relationship to weather in order to avoid any liability. Am I mis-understanding the AA guidance Butch has linked to?

wkharris2001 Feb 24, 2009 2:23 AM

most won't reprotect on an other airline if it's weather related....unless you can reroute the passenger away from the weather via another airline. other than that it's pretty much only for mechanical reasons

Jetliner Feb 24, 2009 5:40 PM

Butch, I see what is going on here now. The website you have is not really for the passengers, but rather for agencies. This includes online agencies such as Travelocity and Orbitz.

Often times the contract with the airline under which these tickets are sold have a provision that the airline cannot change the ticket themselves, even on another flight on the same airline. You have to go back to the agency (or call them) to have them rebook. This is for if you decide to change the ticket.

The webpage you have is AA's provisions to those agencies about what conditions they can change the tickets on their own. So if you are flying through Chicago, and the weather takes a dump there, these provisions allow them to rebook you another AA flight through Dallas.

Butch Cassidy Slept Here Feb 24, 2009 6:26 PM

Greater protection with a travel agency?

This rule is NOT binding on AA staff at the airport? So then does one, actually, have greater protection (in theory) when AA, in this case, cancels if the booking was through a travel agency? In practice I would assume most travel agencies would tell you to get lost unless you were a large commercial customer. Even for those agencies willing to help I don't know if any advantage one would gain is worth the aggravation one is letting themselves in for by using an agency.
I originally found this by doing a (Yahoo) search on "rule 240." I then went to AA's on-line edition of its Contract of Carriage. I thought it was strange I couldn't find any reference to this document in the Contract. I assumed this was, perhaps, an addendum to said Contract.

Jetliner Feb 24, 2009 6:55 PM

You're not understanding this. Some tickets purchased online through sites like Travelocity and Orbitz cannot be changed by the airline. The agency has to do it. This is a rule that the agency has in place for tickets it has sold. Don't ask me the finer points as to why, but that is how they work.

The page you have is something that is meant for them. It does not mean that they cannot or will not change a ticket that was not purchased through them. In other words, this page has nothing to do with a ticket purchased through American directly. As posted before, changing your ticket could include staying on the same airline, but a different routing. The airline cannot even change that normally. This page is probably part of the contract they have with the online agencies stating under what conditions they are allowed to change a ticket. In other words, if this did not exist and you had a ticket purchased through Travelocity, and the plane broke down, the airline would have no choice but to have yo call Travelocity to re-route you. With this in place the airline has the ability to change the flgihts in the circumstances listed.

Jetliner Feb 24, 2009 10:04 PM

I've done some digging around, and here is what I found from their Contract of Carriage (COC). It does not state that they will put you on another airline, except maybe if the flight is diverted. What people need to understand is there is no law that says they have to put you on another airline. This is why Southwest does not do this normally, although in some extreme cases, they will buy a ticket on another airline for a passenger.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...age.jsp#Delays

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American Airlines or American Eagle flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation.