AirlineComplaints.org

AirlineComplaints.org (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/index.php)
-   Spirit Airlines Complaints (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Suggestion US Visitors BEWARE!!! (https://www.AirlineComplaints.org/showthread.php?t=11112)

BeReasonable Dec 28, 2012 4:32 PM

US Visitors BEWARE!!!

I am a UK citizen with a business in the US. I recently flew with Spirit from Detroit to La Guardia, New York. I had to reschedule my first flight and agreed to pay the cancellation fee ($125). Given each flight cost over $300 I agreed to this.

When I returned to the UK I was shocked to discover that even though you claim to offer cancellations you had billed billed the total cost of both my cancelled and my rescheduled flights to my credit card. Having spent some time on the phone to Spirit, I discovered that refunds are only paid in vouchers to be redeemed within a few weeks of flying. You have no services in the UK or Europe so these have no value to me. I feel that I've been misled as this information was not available when I booked through Orbitz, although that fact that I could cancel for a lower fee was clearly explained.

Effectively Spirit has taken my money for nothing (and presumably resold my seat at an even higher price).

The experience cost me a total of $640 for a return flight from Detroit to New York, which for a "low cost" airline seems high to me.

Maybe consider explaining this at the time of purchase. You social capital depends on people such as myself passing on positive messages about your staff (who were very helpful) rather than negative ones about your "policies".

The_Judge Dec 28, 2012 7:00 PM

You should read up on Spirit and their CEO. He in no way cares about the customer in any way, shape or form. People have to realize when they buy a ticket on an ultra low fare airline like Spirit, customer service is not included in the price of the ticket.

jimworcs Dec 28, 2012 11:02 PM

Bereasonable.... Spirit learned it's customer service ethos from Ryanair and Moron O'Leary. I would even suggest they are worse, because at least the European Air Market has some consumer protection...the DOT is pisspoor in the US...and Spirit are free to totally take the ****.