Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:25 PM
joegoblue joegoblue is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

The first position is typical of what we heard from the airlines. Med-Link made the decision and no, you can't talk to them. If it were Alaska's policy that, "Ill people should not fly", and that policy was consistently enforced, then we would not have been at the airport. The problem is that I conjecture elderly ill people are being singled out and removed from flights due to concerns brought into play by their age. And that is age discrimination and elder abuse.

I have tried to separate the issue of what was done from who did it and I have tried to acknowledge that the behavior of the Alaska Airlines personnel was for the most part courteous and professional. In my opinion, it is the policy that is discriminatory. In my opinion, in this instance, this risk assessment policy targeted an ill customer for one reason alone. She was elderly. That constitutes age discrimination.

The emotion comes in when the Airline employees asserts that if the family cared about Nanny, they would have forced Nanny against her will, and against the advice of her RN daughter, to go to a local hospital.i.e. the the family are idiots to stupid to know what is best for their grandmother.

And while I believe that the antecedent for the decision to dump granny was essentially a policy driven by revenue concerns, I do thank my lucky stars that ALA did not attempt to further exploit this by fare modifications or generation of additional fees. I guess it is a testament to the current state of air travel that we should all cheer up, bad things could be worse.