Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:35 PM
tony.mullins tony.mullins is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012

On September 30, 2011 we flew from Norfolk, VA to JFK airport in New York on Delta flight 6090. When we arrived at JFK we checked in at the Alitalia ticket desk for flight AZ611 from New York to Rome. I handed the lady at the ticket counter my passport and specifically told her that it was amended in the back to reflect my married name, the name that I made my flight reservation in. However, she looked at my passport and looked up a reservation by my maiden name. When she handed me my boarding pass I immediately noticed that it had the wrong last name. I told her that it was wrong, but she said it was fine because that was what was in the front of my passport. I did not think anything else about it. However, when I got on the plane I quickly realized that I had been assigned to the exact same seat as someone else. Then I looked at my boarding pass again and realized that not only was the last name incorrect, but the first name was also wrong! She had issued me someone else’s boarding pass with the same last name as my maiden name. And it was even a man’s name! She gave me a boarding pass for someone named Freddie Sanders. I understand that all companies make mistakes from time to time. But I believe what determines whether a company has good customer service is what they do after they have made an error. This is where Alitalia failed miserably, first during this situation and then later when you lost our baggage. The flight attendant came and got me and escorted me off the plane. She took me to the supervisor working the gate for that flight. Unfortunately, I did not get her name in all the chaos that took place, but I know she was the supervisor working the gate for flight AZ611 on September 30, 2011. She was a middle aged woman, maybe 40s or perhaps 50s. She was thin and blonde. She proceeded to yell at me, telling me that the mix up was my fault! This went on for about five to ten minutes. She was yelling so much she actually made me cry. Evidently, she thought I was responsible for issuing my own boarding pass. I do not know how that is possible since a passenger never issues their own boarding pass. While I was standing there they were trying to close the gate and let the plane take off without me and with my purse and everything still onboard. Had it not been for the young female flight attendant who originally escorted me off the plane, they would have closed the gate but she told them not to let it go without me. That woman checked me in in the right name and gave me my correct boarding pass. But before I got on the plane, the supervisor who had been yelling at me then threatened me! She told me good luck getting back to the US, suggesting that she was going to try to mess with my return flight. When I got back on the plane, everyone was staring at me and wondering why I had been escorted off. I was totally humiliated. I was so shook up by this whole experience that I was physically sick for most of the flight. Amazingly, my experience at JFK was only the beginning of a horrendous customer service experience with this airline. When we arrived in Rome our luggage was not there. We went immediately to the Alitalia lost and found counter to file a claim and give them the address of our hotel in Rome. Our claim number was FCOAZ70223. At this point, I was not terribly upset about the baggage. We have had an airline lose our baggage before but it was not so bad because they delivered it to us the very next morning. I thought we would be one day without a change of clothes and then we would have our bags. But once again, Alitalia failed miserably at correcting its error. We checked into our hotel in Rome on October 1, 2011. We were there for four nights. We checked out on October 5, 2011. During the five days and four nights that we were in Rome our bags were never delivered. After our bags did not arrive on the second day, we started calling your airline trying to find out when they would be delivered. We were told that you knew where they were, that they had been left at JFK and they would be on the next flight to Rome. Every single day we were told our bags would be delivered the next day. After a few days without any clean clothes, contact lenses, medicine, or shampoo and not having any luck trying to call ourselves we started having a friend in the US call for us. We accumulated a phone bill of 163.60€ at our first hotel just from trying to call your airline about our bags. One representative that we talked to suggested that we send an email to [email protected]. We emailed that email address and the customer service email address ( [email protected] ) a total of four times while we were in Italy and as of this writing we have yet to receive a single response.

During the time that we were in Rome we never received any kind of explanation from anyone at your airline about why our bags were not being delivered when you claimed to know exactly where they were. On October 4, 2011 we received a message at our hotel while we were out requesting the address for the next place we would be staying because our bags would not be delivered before we checked out on October 5th. There was never any explanation for why it could not be delivered and no apology whatsoever. When we got to our hotel in Venice we started trying to call again to get our bags sent to us in Venice. We were hung up on several times. We accumulated another phone bill of 184.60€ trying to call your airline about our bags from Venice. We even had the staff at our hotel trying to call, hoping that having someone who spoke Italian might help. Once again, we were told that you knew where our bags were (at this point we were told they were in Rome and had been there since October 1st!) and promised that our bags would be delivered the next day. And once again, our bags never came. After many phone calls to New York, Rome, Venice, and a customer service number in Sicily, we finally tracked down our bags ourselves and found out exactly which flight they were supposed to be on and when it was supposed to arrive in Venice. Our bags finally arrived in Venice on October 8, 2011 at 9:30 p.m., the night before we were supposed to fly back home. We were told they could not be delivered to our hotel that night and since we were checking out the next morning to fly home, we had to buy bus tickets, go to the airport ourselves and pick up our bags. We went our entire nine day trip without our luggage. We were never given any kind of explanation or apology by anyone working for this airline. We were never offered any kind of assistance and you were completely unresponsive to our numerous calls and emails while we were in Italy. Because we had to spend 348.20€ on phone calls trying to track down our bags, 20€ on bus tickets to pick up our bags that you were supposed to deliver, and 272.46€ on very basic clothes, medicine, toiletries, etc., we were not able to do many of the things we planned to do on our trip because we did not have enough money. We spent a total of 640.66€ because we did not have our bags. But what is even more upsetting is that we lost entire days of sightseeing sitting in the room trying to contact your airline and trying to get to shopping centers to buy clothes or to pharmacies to buy toiletries or medicine. We did not take a lot of extra money with us. We took what we thought we would need for food and sightseeing. Therefore, we went all the way to Venice and never even got to ride a gondola. We had also planned to go on a nice dinner date but were not able to do it because our dress clothes were in our luggage and we could not afford to buy dress clothes that we needed to eat at the restaurant we wanted to eat at. This trip was supposed to be my graduation gift from my husband, but I spent a good part of it crying because I was so stressed about us running out of money and about not having clean clothes. My husband actually had to wear the same flannel shirt for ten days because we could only afford clean undershirts, etc. So as I said in the beginning, this airline basically ruined our whole trip. My problem with this airline is not that you issued me the wrong boarding pass or did not get our luggage there at the same time we got there. My problem is how you responded to each of these errors. After issuing me the wrong boarding pass, you kicked me off the plane, yelled at me, blamed it on me, and threatened me. After losing our luggage, you did not deliver it to us the entire time we were on our nine day trip (even though your website says your policy is to deliver it within 24 hours), you would not help us on the phone, you would not respond to emails, and no one would explain why it was not being delivered or offer any kind of apology. That is terrible customer service. I have never experienced customer service like this from any company of any kind, not just airlines. We want to give you one final opportunity to remedy the terrible service you gave us. First, we want a reimbursement for the 640.66€ that we spent as a direct result of not having our luggage during our entire trip. Second, we would like a formal apology in writing for the way I was treated by one of your employees at JFK when I was given the wrong boarding pass by another one of your employees and for all the stress that not having our luggage caused us. Third, we would like a full refund for our airfare for both our flights from JFK to Rome on September 30th because you ruined our vacation, our first one in almost seven years. I was stressed out from my first encounter with an Alitalia employee at JFK until we got back home. Because no one has been responsive to our complaints so far, I am skeptical about whether we will ever receive any type of response. At this time, it has been 100 days since our trip, and over 90 since our return, and, contrary to the promise of the Alitalia complaint acknowledgment letter we received, we have yet to receive any type of communication in any form regarding our complaint besides that letter. DO NOT FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVES!

Alitalia, don't ignore your Customer Complaints. Reply NOW!