View Single Post

Replies:

Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:44 PM
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Terrible story, so sorry you and your sister had to put up with that. I mean this in the nicest possible way, and in no way what-so-ever am I trying to be sarcastic or mean, but what did you expect when you use a carrier that is so cheap? They're cheap for a reason... that said, here's something that was originally posted by PHXFlyer in another thread about Spirit and their CEO Mr. Baldanza.

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer
Spirit's COC contains no provision for re-booking on another carrier, sometimes called "Rule 240", in case of a cancellation or lengthy delay. This is because Spirit has no interline agreements to be able to do so. If a Spirit flight is cancelled you basically have two choices. You can wait for the next available Spirit flight which may, depending on where you are, be in a couple of hours or a couple of days. If this isn't an option than you can take a refund from Spirit and make your own arrangements with another airline which we all know is usually means very expensive last-minute fares.

Quote:
Delayed and Canceled Flights
Spirit Airlines Responsibility for Schedules and Operations Times shown in a timetable or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of the terms of transportation. Spirit may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Spirit is not responsible or liable for making connections, or for failing to operate any flight according to schedule, or for changing the schedule of any flight.
Rebooking When a ticketed passenger holding a confirmed reservation on a flight will be delayed because of a schedule irregularity (including but not limited to, a missed connection, flight cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, substitution of equipment, a different class of service or schedule change), Spirit will rebook the passenger on Spirit's first available flight to the passenger's destination without additional charge.
Amenities/Services for Passengers Spirit will not assume expenses incurred as a result of a flight delay, cancellation, or schedule change. Spirit may provide limited amenities and services, which may be required by certain passengers in order to maintain their safety, health and welfare. Amenities provided by Spirit are provided as courtesy to the customer and are not to be considered an obligation of Spirit. No lodging will be provided to a passenger on any Spirit flight, which is delayed or canceled in the city of the passenger's residence.
This contract reflects the anti-customer "corporate culture" of Spirit and it's CEO. Basically they feel you're paying a low fare so expect nothing more than transportation from A to B.
Here's an interesting article which appeared in USA Today about Spirit and it's CEO Ben Baldanza. He doesn't seem to worry about all of the complaints and bad press his airline receives.

Quote:
Spirit carried 6.8 million passengers last year, and the Transportation Department received 792 complaints. That's more than triple the number of complaints against low-fare airline Southwest, which carried 102 million passengers. The largest number of Spirit complaints were for baggage, reservations, ticketing and boarding problems. Spirit also received a large number of complaints about customer service and refunds.
Baldanza says more than 99.9% of Spirit's customers are satisfied with their dealings with the airline and blames many complaints on fliers' expectations.
"We're the Wal-Mart or the McDonald's — not the Nordstrom's — of the airline industry," Baldanza says. "No one walks into McDonald's and gets disappointed when they don't see filet mignon on the menu."

If any Spirit passengers feel they've been treated badly, "They should fly someone else," Baldanza says. "That's the way the free market works," he says. "I don't eat at some restaurants when I'm treated badly. Our job is to make sure that doesn't happen to a majority of customers." Two years ago, Baldanza accidentally replied to an e-mail from a customer requesting a refund for missing a concert in Atlanta after a flight delay.
"We owe him nothing as far as I'm concerned," Baldanza said in his e-mail. "Let him tell the world how bad we are. He's never flown us before anyway and will be back when we save him a penny."
So, as you pointed out, Spirit's attitude towards passengers, which stems from their CEO, is one of utter disregard. I hope that this experience will not dissuade you from future airline travel on other "non-LCC" carriers. Hopefully next time you will be treated better!
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook