Complaint: Baggage Problem Australian wedding
Old May 21, 2008, 4:40 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

If your American ("AA") ticket, and Qantas ticket, were on separate reservations then AA, to my understanding, was only obligated to get your bags as far as JFK, and was doing you a favor by getting them onto Sydney.

Since AA and Qantas code share, the ideal way to book your reservation would be to make sure all flights--BWI through to Sydney have the AA code. That way it would be next to impossible for AA to duck responsibility.

I don't what the International rules are, but if your AA and Qantas tickets WERE on the same reservation, Qantas should be the one responsible for getting your bags because they were the last airline you traveled on. That's the way it works on domestic travel. I'm sure the airline people will correct me if I'm wrong.

Knowing that AA is so unreliable (as are the other domestic "legacy" airlines) I would have taken Amtrak, from either the BWI station, or downtown Baltimore, to the Newark Airport Station. Then transfer there to US Helicopter to JFK. Again, the US Helicopter ticket should be on the same reservation with the Qantas ticket. This eliminates the problem of you dragging your bags at JFK. Yes, you might have had to leave your house around 10 or 11 AM.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]