Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:08 PM
Lizzie Lizzie is offline

Join Date: Feb 2013
Unhappy The details

Thanks Jimworcs, We left Santiago as scheduled on a TAM flight to Sao Paulo bought through Lufthansa. I was traveling with my 11 month daughter and a domestic cat which had a confirmed reservation to travel as cargo on the same passenger flight as us to London. At Sao Paulo Lufthansa told TAM that they would not carry the animal as the UK do not accept animals imported by air. This is clearly untrue and I showed them evidence that UK accept animals printed from the DEFRA website. The story then changed to Lufthansa do not carry animals. The website clearly states that they do and I had a confirmed reservation for the cat from Lufthansa. I was then told I must return to Santiago and put on the next flight back. more than 12 hours traveling with a baby and a cat for nothing. At Santiago no body from Lufthansa came to pick us up or offer us accommodation or anything. My husband collected me at our cost and we stayed with friends that night. The next day we went to Lufthansa to find out what was going on. They had made an administrative error inputting the cats' destination. They were also unaware that Lufthansa do not carry animals in passenger aircrafts to London but that they do carry animals on cargo flights. Both their errors and they admitted the errors. We explained that as we were relocating to the UK we had no house to go to that they needed to find us accommodation and cover the costs. They said they'd get back to us. Meanwhile we were homeless so my husband found us a pet friendly hotel. Lufthansa got back to us the following day that they would cover the hotel. They gave me replacement flights for the 10th. I was not consulted or given a choice of dates, neither did I accept the replacement flight. We asked them to pay for our food during the delay. They got back to us he next day. 4 days after arriving back in Santiago and having finally established that Lufthansa would pick up our bills during our unscheduled stay I went to organise my flights. I explained that the replacement flights were longer and on my daughters birthday and therefore wanted new dates. Lufthansa told me they couldn't change the flights because TAM was now flying us. I told them that as a partner complany they could communicate with TAM and give me new dates. They then told me there were no seats available until the end of February with TAM. I said that as this was their error they would have to find me a seat even if it meant putting me in business class. They refused and maintained that there were no seats even in business class until end of February. I went home and checked the TAM website and there are seats on several dates in business class with TAM. I refuse to believe that they cannot give me a seat on any date other than my daughters birthday. I have found seats but Lufthansa do not want to give me the seats because they say TAM will not move me from economical class to business. They are partner companies, everything can be discussed and changed if they wanted to. What can I do?