Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:12 PM

Angry Connecting flight was not even booked by Delta

I would like to make a complaint regarding an international travel booking with Delta where I learned upon arrival in Dubai that my connecting flight had not been booked by Delta.

I had made and confirmed an international reservation from Atlanta/Dubai/CMB ticket # 00621665555991 - Confirmation # PYNLYK for November 27, 2008.
I left Atlanta, GA to Dubai on DL 008 on Nov 27, 08. However, upon arrival in Dubai I was told by the airline that I was NOT even booked on the connecting flight from Dubai (DXB)/Colombo (CMB). I had to make several collect calls to my husband from Dubai airport asking him to speak with Delta and get the connection sorted out, without much success! After almost pleading with the airline, I was put on standby!? Finally I boarded the Sri Lankan airlines, minus my baggage! I had a very important meeting in Colombo the next day and was not able to attend the meeting because I didn’t have the samples I was carrying for the meeting. It was rather disappointing.

On Dec 1st I went to the nearest airline agent in Colombo to make my onward ticket confirmed. To my surprise I was told that I had no booking for my Colombo/Dubai sector on December 5, 08.

Apparently, Delta had not sent Sri Lankan airlines the reservation information.

This reservation was made 2 months prior to my travel and in fact, Delta is holding US$ 236.00 as penalty for making changes to my reservation. I had paid a total of US$ 2,157.20 + $ 50.00 penalty for this trip.

Delta being my preferred airline I decided to fly Delta. Upon arrival I contacted the Delta customer Service department several times, but they refused to accept their mistake, and was not at all curteous.

I would like to be compensated for the collect calls and the frustration I encountered during this trip. Please respond within 10 business days of this letter. Should I receive no response, I will file formal complaints with the appropriate agencies including the U.S. DOT and Better Business Bureau.

A Pollard
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:52 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

is this a copy of your compaint to Delta or are you expecting this site to respond to you? This is just a board and does not have any duties to get responds from the airlines. You need to contact Delta directly and the federal agencies you mentioned in your email.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:12 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Most of the time when you buy a ticket from a US airline with onward connections on a foreign airline the seat is sold "pending confirmation." It can take the foreign airline up to 72 hours to actually confirm the reservation and that confirmation is sent back electronically to the booking airline. Delta should have advised you to call them back after the period of confirmation for Sri Lankan Air wether it is 24, 48 or 72 hours.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:31 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

Thank You ! I have sent Delta several msgs and haven't had a response. Hence, this post hoping they would respond.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:40 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

Thank you for your msg. Yes, I agree with you, Delta should have advised me to call the airline. They sent me an e-mail reconfirming the reservation, and mentioned in that email that I didn't have to call back to reconfirm my flight.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:01 PM

Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Frequent flyer miles, and aggravation

There are times when the aggravation connected with accumulating, or using, frequent flyer miles is simply not worth it. Singapore Air and Cathay Pacific both offer on-line booking for flights from ATL to CMB. In the case of these two carriers there are no issues with request ("RQ") bookings. It appears the Dubai - Colombo segment was processed, by Delta, as a RQ booking. As a, distant, second choice one can, likewise, avoid the RQ issue by using a US-based carrier that belongs to an affiliation offering service to Colombo. American Air/One World offers connections through to Colombo with their "One World" partners Royal Jordanian, and Cathay Pacific. Although the itineraries offered by American involve extra-long lay-overs and two to three connecting points. Perhaps I incorrectly interpreted your booking with Delta as an effort at mileage accumulation. However, I assume you must be aware of the Singapore and Cathay alternatives.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:10 AM
wkharris2001 wkharris2001 is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Apr 2008

your complaint here holds no muster with Delta, your complaint in turn should be with your TRAVEL AGENT. as delta has no codeshare agreement with Sri Lankan airlines as they are not a member of the skyteam alliance. nor does delta have an electronic ticketing agreement with this airline. when you book your flight through a travel agent, the travel agent online or a conventional in person travel agency, they are responsible for making sure everything is booked correctly. had you done this online at delta.com or even called delta reservations with those city pairs, delta would have appologized and politely told you we do not serve that city, you may have better luck with another airline. just because delta flew you from ATL to DXB that does not make them at fault for the mishaps. the real person you need to speak to is your travel agent and ask them why you weren't confirmed on the other airline.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:11 AM

Default Travel agent?? Interline ticketing agreement

Please provide information supporting your contention that this customer booked the Sri Lankan Airlines segment, or the entire itinerary, through a travel agent, and NOT Delta Air. There is nothing in the original post to support this position. Second, are you stating that Delta Air does NOT have an interline ticketing agreement with Sri Lankan Airlines? If "yes," then is it your position that, assuming this customer was willing to pay the fee connected with talking to a phone agent, that her efforts to book a connection--from Delta, at Dubai, to Sri Lankan Airlines would be rebuffed by said phone agent? In the interest of appropriate disclosure, are you an employee, past or present, of Delta Air Lines, Inc? Again, with all due respect to the original poster, it appears this was a misguided step of placing frequent flyer miles over a rational travel experience. As I previously stated and, based on the statements of said original poster, other airlines--eg: Cathay Pacific, or Singapore--could have handled this itinerary on-line, and more efficiently.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; Feb 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:29 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Butch, if there is no interline agreement between the two carriers, as is the case here, then the only way to book it would be a travel agent or online booking site such as Orbitz or Travelocity. Since Delta does not have the agreement they would not be able to sell the seat on the other airline or book it for you. They might be able to view the flight schedules, but not book it.

I've seen many of these types of bookings from the sites I mentioned, along with a few other things that make them such a pain. I don't think they really have anything set up in their computer to block interline connections from showing up if the two carriers have no agreement.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:45 AM
wkharris2001 wkharris2001 is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Apr 2008

okay so delta DOES have an interline ticketing agreement with the above mentioned carrier, however we still would not have booked this as at delta.com and over the phone we ONLY SELL DELTA products unless there is a codeshare agreement with the airline. (which then makes it a delta product since there is a delta flight number attached to the flight) since there is no codeshare agreement with sri lankan air as they are not a part of the skyteam alliance delta would not have booked this flight for the passenger.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:33 AM

Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Elusive agreements and rotten tulips.

Of those on this board who do NOT identify themselves as connected with an airline, past or present, I think most would agree US-based airlines have a pattern of making financial moves which are questionable, at best, and, at worst, make no sense at all. Accordingly, I won't dismiss the possibility that Delta Air could have entered into an interline ticketing agreement with Sri Lankan, and perhaps other airlines, which requires payment TO Delta for the "privilege" of setting-up the agreement. Accordingly, I'll even go so far as to guess that such agreements may exist only for the purpose of allowing the "other" airline to connect THEIR passengers onto Delta flights. For Delta to essentially ignore such agreements, with respect to traffic in the other direction (Delta to "other carrier"), seems a bit of a stretch. In this scenario, how is Delta NOT shooting itself (financially) in the foot? With regard to your statement about Delta call centers selling only itineraries where all flights have the "DL" prefix, and no one else's: I suppose when Northwest's reservation system is fully merged into Delta's, the ability to book an itinerary to a European city, and have all flight segments showing the "KL" prefix, will cease to be. Or, will it?? Why would KL-Air France give a “oui” to this kind of demand??
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:39 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

It's not as simple as that. Both airlines have to agree to have the agreement.

By the way, there is something that seems to be getting lost here. Codeshare and Interline agreement are not the same thing. Codeshares are the alliances the airlines have such as Sky Team, One World and the Star Alliance. With these, any airline in the alliance can sell tickets across airlines.

An interline agreement simply means that the airlines agree to accept each other's tickets and baggage. So if you are on Delta, and the plane breaks down, they can book you a flight on American. But you cannot go to Delta and buy a ticket on American. Also, if a travel agent books a flight on say Delta from Dallas to Atlanta, then American from Atlanta to Chicago, then Delta can check your bags in all the way the Chicago and transfer them to American. But if something happens on Delta and you miss the AA flight, Delta is not responsible for that.

This also leads to something that many people don't understand about going between airlines when things don't go right. I keep seeing people saying that if the plane breaks down that by law you can just take your ticket to another airline and get on. Not true. Let's say you are on American and the flight cancels. So you go to Air Tran. These two airlines do not have an interline agreement. Air Tran is under no obligation to take your ticket, although they can. In reality if Air Tran takes the ticket, then AA would normally pay it out, but there is nothing to stop AA from telling Air Tran where to stick the ticket.

Customer Service Delta Nightmare Flight 1613 atlantanana Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Apr 4, 2009 8:22 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight delayed & will miss my connecting flights soonerjr Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 2 Jun 24, 2008 10:43 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Don't plan to be there on the day you booked studenttraveler Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Apr 10, 2007 2:57 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked missed connecting flights charles a hart United Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 9, 2007 10:15 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flights cancelled, re-booked, luggage lost, will avoid UA dolores United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 18, 2007 4:10 AM