COMPLAINT: unaccompanied minors

Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:37 PM
wvgirl wvgirl is offline

Join Date: Apr 2007

Recently I had a horrible experience picking up an UM. First, I got there about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes prior to the plane landing. Plenty of time, one would think. Yeah, right. I had to wait about 20-30 minutes in the ticket line to get a pass to go through the security gates. Then I ended up spending at least 45 minutes waiting in line to go through the security gates. They announced my name several times that I had a child to be picked up and I even said something to the lady at the ticket counter and she couldn't help me and even the lady checking passes at the security line couldn't help me. Well, more likely wouldn't help. By the time I got down to the gate, they had just taked her up to the front ticket counter. How's that for a kick in the head. And then they tried to tell me I needed to get there in plenty of time and I had no right to be upset.
Why isn't there any way of letting the people at the terminal know that someone is there to pick up the UM and they are in the building? The computers are connected are they not? And why isn't there a special lane for those just picking up UMs? They didn't have all the security lanes open even, so why couldn't there be one for just those people who are picking up? Or, why not just have the UM's escorted out instead of us having to go through all the crap only to have to turn right around and go back because they took it upon themselves to take the child up to the ticket counter? The system is seriously flawed and I am an extremely furious and irrate customer. I will not be using SWA any time soon.

Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:47 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

At most airports, passengers are recommended to get to the airport 2 hrs prior to scheduled departure. Considering the fact that you had to get a pass to get through security, and then go through security, you should have gotten to the airport sooner than you did, the same as a passenger would, since you basically had to go through the same process.

Airlines do not have seperate lines for UMs, because there are not enough UMs that fly on a regular basis, to warrant seperate lines.

The airlines are not responsible for security. Security agents work for, and are employed by the U.S. government, and the Department of Homeland Security. If you think that there need to be more lines, or seperate lines for UMs, then you need to contact TSA, the Department of Homeland Security, and/ or that airports administration. SouthWest Airlines, nor any airlines, had anything to do with security, at all.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
bah humbug bah humbug is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Why don't airlines have seperate lines for people picking up UM's? Are you kiddiing me? Why should they? Why is someone getting to the airport at the last minute to pick up a UM more important than the person who got there 2 hours early to catch their flight. It actually takes longer to process a gate pass then it does to check in a passenger. You should not blame Southwest, security line, or any one else but yourself.

Plenty of time, one would think. Yeah, right........YEAH....RIGHT!!!!!!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:40 AM

BH.....if it takes you longer to process a gate pass then it does to check in a passenger, you are doing something dreadfully wrong in both cases.

The process for issuing a gate pass is asking for and checking ID against the individual. Pulling up whatever template you have to issue it and typing in the the info required. The whole process from beginning to end should take no more than 30 seconds.

The process for checking in a passenger is again asking for and checking ID, asking how many items to check in, collecting any fees for luggage, upgrades, add collects, pets (you get the idea) then tagging the articles checked and probably answering a question or 2 and then changing their seat after they have chosen the wrong seat on the machine.

So if the 2nd process takes you less than 30 seconds or the first one takes more, something is being done wrong.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:09 PM
bah humbug bah humbug is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Sorry Judge.....
A passenger already has a reservation, and 90% of the time is already checked in when they come to the ticket counter. All I have to do is check their ID, add their bags and send them on their way.
A person wanting a gate pass has to have their ID checked, a reservation made, check in as if they were a passenger to check against security list, removed after being checked in, and hand write out a gate pass.
If you want to talk about the 10% of passengers who come to the ticket counter without a boarding pass, have fees that need to be added, or any other "extras", yeah you are right, they would take longer than a gate pass., but that is only a small % of the flight.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:17 AM

BH....we obviously worked for different airlines. My system didn't require me to make a reservation for a gate pass. It was a point and click. I clicked on gate pass, typed in the name from the ID and it spit out an automated gate pass if CAPPS cleared the person. I was probably wrong the first time at 30 seconds. Probably more like 15 seconds.

And I am talking about the stupid check-in machines for dealing with a pax, not the good old fashioned quick way of doing it myself. The self-service kiosks are a joke. I can check in 3 to 1 against those machines. I also worked in HNL so most, probably 90% of the people were tourists and had not checked in at home cuz they weren't home. Nowhere to check in so we had to do it all. I stand by my original statements firmly.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:33 AM
airhead airhead is offline

humbug is correct. issuing a boarding pass from scratch to get through security is no picnic. I have to use the SABRE long entries and that means checking an opening flight number, making a reservation, typing the ID information for security, in the correct format which consists of about 30 characters and if I get one wrong, which is easy, I have to start over. Then once that is said and done, I have to check that passenger in, and then cancel out the reservation. The thing is, not too many UMs come by daily so I have to seek the aid of notes to to do this.