COMPLAINT: United travel by minors

Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:59 PM
BLT BLT is offline

Join Date: Aug 2008

Due to recent changes in unaccomponied minors I called United while making my online reservation for my 14 year-old daughter. I gave the flight number-(it was a US Air flight) and my daughters age. I said I was confirming she could travel alone without additional fees. I asked again to confirm with flight number as I had previous problems with changes in policies regarding travel by minors. I finalized booking on-line. As I received my email confirmation number I confirmed the reservation and policy regarding minors again with United. At the gate I was forced to pay $200 to US Air for an unaccomponied minor. Customer Service at United denied any responsibility for reimbursement.

Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:21 PM
abutterfinger25 abutterfinger25 is offline
US Department of Transportation Employee

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington Metro Area

The policies of the operating carrier (US Airways) normally overrule the polcies of the booking carrier (United Airlines). You should have confirmed US Policy directly with US Airways.

(However, the United reps should have had US Airways policies handingsince thiswas probably a code-share flight)

Customer Service unaccompanied minors wvgirl Southwest Airlines Complaints 6 Dec 3, 2008 2:33 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United #1608 Jomied United Airlines Complaints 1 Jul 3, 2008 7:41 PM
Baggage Problems United Airlines Bag and Personnel Problems - oh yeah, Dulles United Airlines people ntboy7756 United Airlines Complaints 6 May 10, 2008 7:11 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United nightmare tamarav United Airlines Complaints 0 Jan 9, 2008 11:39 PM