General Discussion For General Airline matters.

Tools...

Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:31 AM
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Default Best and Worst Airports

This is from the Yahoo! Travel site, it lists the best and worst airports (based on on time %) in the U.S. The list is:

Best
1. Salt Lake City (SLC)
2. Portland (PDX)
3. (Tie) Washington, D.C. (DCA)
3. (Tie) Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP)
5. (Tie) Los Angeles (LAX)
5. (Tie) San Diego (SAN)
5. (Tie) Tampa (TPA)

Worst
1. Newark (EWR)
2. Chicago (ORD)
3. Miami (MIA)
4. (Tie) Dallas Ft. Worth (DFW)
4. (Tie) New York (LGA)
4. (Tie) New York (JFK)

I think it's interesting that the 3 major AA hubs all made it on the worst list. No wonder there are so many complaints about DFW in the forums.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:24 AM

Default New York City area airports

The fact that all three of the major New York City area airports made the "worst" list re-enforces the need for improved mass (ground) transit access to two outlying airports--Newburgh ("SWF") and Allentown/Lehigh Valley International ("ABE.") In the alternative, a massive Federal subsidy to US Helicopter, which has scheduled service to all three airports, might enable this carrier to purchase additional aircraft and lower fares to make shuttle service attractive to Newburgh and Allentown.

Newburgh is situated about 5 miles from the Salisbury/Cornwall Station of MTA Rail's Port Jervis Line. Until a new tunnel is completed under the Hudson River, rail travel to Penn Station, Manhattan now requires a change of trains at Secaucus Junction, New Jersey.

Allentown has a better potential for access to Manhattan. Rail lines run all the way to Manhattan. Rail passenger service currently stops about 25 miles east of Allentown at High Bridge, New Jersey. Passenger rail service, through to Allentown, has operated in the past.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; Aug 10, 2009 at 6:29 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:34 PM
US Department of Transportation Employee

The ontime arrival percentages are published montly in our Air Travel Consumer Report. On our website
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/index.htm
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:10 PM
Banned

I use Stewart/Newburgh whenever feasible and when the fares aren't pricey vs. EWR/LGA. There are tentative plans to build a light rail from SWF to the Hudson River which will connect to the Newburgh-Beacon ferry and the Metro North line on the east side of the river. Currently you can take a bus from the airport to the ferry.

The problem with the Port Jervis line is that it is single-rail service so only runs to Hoboken and NYC in the morning and mid-day and then not again until late at night after the evening north-bound service. Additionally weekend service is sparse.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:29 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
I think it's interesting that the 3 major AA hubs all made it on the worst list. No wonder there are so many complaints about DFW in the forums.
True, but you have to consider that on here, you are only seeing a pure numbers side, not numbers relative to overall flights or passengers. I'm not saying that AA is any better or worse, but considering how much larger they are than any other airline (except what Delta is becoming with NW) they are naturally going to have a higher number of complaints. And keep in mind that Delta no longer uses DFW as a hub, so it goes to show that the delays are not so much related to congestion as they are other factors.

Also, the problem with MIA and NY is the congestion of other flights at the airport. Both are MOJOR international gateways, for many international airlines. O'hare would be one to look at on this list, but then again, United is probably a bigger problem on that. How LAX made that list is beyond me.

It's also interesting that Tampa made the good list considering every day in the summer the ramp will close due to lightning.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post
True, but you have to consider that on here, you are only seeing a pure numbers side, not numbers relative to overall flights or passengers.
Are you talking about the perspon who posted that 3 of his 4 flights were delayed and jumped to the conclusion thatthe airline as a whole had a 25% on-time rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post
How LAX made that list is beyond me.
Same reason as JFK and MIA - huge gateway fro trans-Pac flights combined with domestic traffic. It's Alaska's 2nd largest hub, a mini-hub for Delta and a fiocus city for UA, AA and Southwest. Did I leave any out?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:55 AM

I know the biggest problem about DFW is the weather. A Texas storm comes out of nowhere with little warning and can threaten with one or a combination of the following: lightning, tornado, strong winds, hail, fog, ice, deluge and even the occasional dirt or sand storm.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer View Post
Same reason as JFK and MIA - huge gateway fro trans-Pac flights combined with domestic traffic. It's Alaska's 2nd largest hub, a mini-hub for Delta and a fiocus city for UA, AA and Southwest. Did I leave any out?
No - LAX made the good list. MIA and JFK made the bad list.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

if your not only gonna go by domestic than heres my top 5
1) Singapore Changi
2) Hong Kong
3) Tokyo Narita
4) Australia (sydney)
5) LAX

5 worst airports
1) charles de gal (paris)
2) JFK
3) O'Hare