Full Site Register

Other Airline Complaints>ATA: Screwing a Volunteer Bump
lankforj 5:14 PM Jan 18, 2008
My wife and I volunteered to reschedule our flight from Maui last June in return for a free roundtrip ticket for each of us due to ATA overbooking the flight. We were returning from our honeymoon and had flown to Hawaii on a codeshare flight with Southwest Airlines and ATA. The local agents initially were begging from passengers to change there schedules and receive a $400 voucher. With no takers, they upped the offer to roundtrip tickets. My wife and decided to accept the offer with the stipulation that the tickets could be used as a codeshare with Southwest since ATA does not serve our home city directly. Since I travel extensively with work, I understood that this may be a problem, so I clarified with the gate agent that I would be able to use the ticket as a codeshare flight with Southwest and she told me I could. So, my wife and I rescheduled and took a flight out the next morning. We had less than 5 hours of sleep, missed both dinner and breakfast due to the timing of the flight we volunteered to get bumped on and the corresponding flight we had to take the next morning. Well, I called last week to use my free voucher, and guess what, ATA says that it is not valid on Southwest. They can only give me $400 per voucher. Why would I, living in a non-ATA city, want a $400 voucher on an airline that doesn’t even fly out of my city? We had the opportunity to accept the $400 voucher, but had determined that it was not worth getting bumped since our original plane tickets were close to $2000. But when ATA offered the free roundtrip, we said yes. Now they are saying we can only get a $400 voucher. I specifically asked the question about the codeshare, and they said it would work. After the fact they say no. How about that for customer service, for someone that volunteered to readjust their schedule and suffer because of it?
Reply Up