COMPLAINT: check in, but not while I'm on the phone...

Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
pitojenn2 pitojenn2 is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

After having arrived at the airport @ 11:26AM / 51 minutes before flight departure I found that the only available check-in computer was not working properly. I requested someone's help only to be pointed towards the most sarcastic supervisor in spirit airlines' counter. I saw she was on the phone telling the person on the other side of the line; "that motha&^% would never do that to her". I remained patient, but my wife didn't and after having been told these people are sometimes idiotically ******, my wife proceeded to request assistance from a Yazmin Harris at the counter who told then asked my wife if she couldn;t see how busy she was on the phone. Apparently the person she was talking about was such an important conversation topic that she had to occupy 35 minutes of company time on the company phone, while customers waited to be checked in. After what the same 35 minutes passed, she asked "what was our problem", as if it wasn't obviously standing before us. I explained the issue with the check-in computer, and to my dismay she told me that I'd missed my flight since it'd already left. Now, the flight was clearly still on the gate because it was scheduled to depart at 12:17PM, yet she refused to assist in any way gently walking away after making us late for check-in. I then lost a bit of my patience and yelled for her to return only to have her log onto her computer and reiterate that the flight was gone. I immediately called spirit airlines headquarters and spoke to "Mr. Calvin", who without any explaination seemed to know the oncoming and apologized for the mishap. I told Mr. Calvin that the apology didn't help, but assistance getting on a still gated aircraft would. The nice Mr. Calvin stated that the computer showed a check-in of 11:53AM when in fact I'd arrived at the airport with ample time for boarding, but encountered an employee who had a miserable morning and was simply looking to find her misery some company. Mr. Calvin asked if I could find "Yazmin Harris" and bring her to the phone so he could verify what happened as if an employee has ever told his/her employer; "Yes I was violating company rules by talking on the company phone, during working hours, with someone who was more than happy to listen to what she wouldn't accept from a man". I clearly explained to Calvin the possibilities of Yazmin's reluctance to tell the truth as it happened and I received a very sasrcastic apology for the mishap, but nothing could be done, which I finally answered with an equally meaningful - "shove your apology as far up your a$$, as possible". Needless to say, and to finally make a long story short, I had to purchase a new ticket at a whopping $325.00. After such unfair treatment I find that this has happened to many, many people since spirits birth [including 3 of my own family members, who neglected to mention it]. But not to worry, I'm waiting for spirit's request for taxpayer bail-out when it goes under [because with their treatment of people, they eventually will]. The elderly can only fly so much, and business people aren't in a spirit flying mood all the time. And as long as it takes I will have the last laugh. As it stands, spirit has seen the last of me and all whom I can warn about their lack of consideration for the same people who pay their salaries. I hope they enjoy the $700. they stole like the miserable theives they are, because it is the last time I fly spirit. I'd rather spend $900 on Delta, Jet Blue, AA, United or anyother airline before I spend a single $.01 on spirit again. And the comment by spirit CEO [whose name is too insignificant to remember], I am one customer who shan't be returning even if I needed a penny saved.
That said, on the return home the plane was delayed for 2 hours and no one received any money for their troubles. It goes to show who the thieving pests are. My old man's plane was also delayed 24hrs and spirit attempted to reward him with a $50. voucher which my father rippd on their faces and happily told them their vagrant, pocket-picking, thieving selves needed the money even more than anyone who couldn't afford it. What a laugh, these people....

"My apologies for my venting, but after all that is what this is for, isn't it?

Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:39 AM

I am stunned they didn't roll out the red carpet for you. Normally after I received verbal abuse from a customer, I caved in and gave them the store.

All joking aside, it's too bad you got stalled at initial check-in. 45 minutes before is close but still plenty of time in most airports. 30 minutes was the cutoff for where I was. Good move in boycotting Spirit. Both sides, I'm sure, will be much happier.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:50 AM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

No matter what happened it sucks u missed your flight but your attitude and demeanor shows that u obviously had a real attitude problem when u walked up. Get over yourself.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:52 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

I told ya an apology doesn't mean anything yet people still seem to think if the airline simply "apologized" it would make things better. But seriously, the first thing you should have done was gotten a supervisor, whether or not they were on the phone (we'll assume it was a personal call) or not you did require their attention. But come on after all the yelling, screaming, and actually cursing out the ONE NICE GUY you can get on the phone, what did you expect the end result would be. I think before you decide to boycott Spirit, you need to reign in that anger just a tad, because you can only be angry with yourself for arriving close to cutoff.

Needless to say Spirit's staff could have been more helpful, then again I try to stay away from lowcost airlines. Oh and i doubt any airline will get bailout money.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:56 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
I was thinking the same. It seems like the OP was actually making some progress until he told the agent on the phone where to stuff it. Oh well. To each his own. I'm surprised Spirit even sold him another ticket. It would seem to me that the usual "spirit" of this company would be to tell you to take a hike and fly another airline. They obviously, from what we have seen, are not in business to retain customers. Once they've ****** off enough people we'll see if their CEO's business plan will be successful in the long term. Personally, I think the clock is ticking away for this airline and the employee attitudes reflect that.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by pattis View Post
Pattis..
Who had the attitude first.. was it the stroppy airline employee who snapped at the customer, who had a balls-achingly long wait whilst she dealt with personal crap.. or the frustrated customer who had finally had enough.

This is where the abuse of power comes from.. morons who think that no matter what they do, the slightest response from a customer "justifies" them...

it is PATHETIC and your attitude needs far more of an adjustment that the OP... I suggest you get over yourself and find yourself another job...

Can I suggest you consider prison warder or parking attendant as these jobs are highly compatible with your attitude
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:49 AM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

actually Jim i think i might do well as a doctor such as yourself. Then I don't have to work much and can spend many hours each day just posting on this site.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:11 AM

hahahahaha......yeah Jim, quit loitering here and do some work. You're ALWAYS online.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:51 AM

A man has to have a hobby.... mine is poking airlines employees with a stick. It's harmless enough...

(and Troy... talking about always being online.... pot, can I introduce you to the kettle?)
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:16 AM

My comment, as I'm sure you know, was very tongue in cheek.

Check-in / Boarding Completely incompetent phone support kelly6 American Airlines Complaints 13 Jul 26, 2009 12:45 AM
Customer Service Air Canada Can't Handle Customers Luggages And Is Rude On Phone! PISSEDOFFTRAVELER Air Canada Complaints 9 Jan 6, 2009 5:13 AM
paying for check in bag and paying for reservation on the phone skram General Discussion 10 Nov 8, 2008 5:35 AM
Customer Service Dumb phone agents, website crashes, don't honor specials mar31 Southwest Airlines Complaints 4 Mar 17, 2008 2:04 PM