General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

The Worst

Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:59 PM

US Air never fails to disappoint. I was supposed to fly out of JFK early AM today 12/21/08. I have been bumped for 2 days because of "crew unavailablilty." Seems impossible and unacceptable to me. Any remedy?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:56 PM
Banned
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

you say bumped. do you mean cancelled??? i find it hard to believe that you have been bumped due to crew being unavailable. usually being bumped is because your flight is oversold or because of weight and balance. not sticking up for the airline, but having no crew is pretty believable right now given the weather conditions all over the US. what airline are you flying? if your on an airline based out of JFK, i would think they have available crew members there.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:57 PM
Banned

nevermind i see your on USair. they aren't JFK based and with the weather everywhere right now, a crew could be stuck anywhere and then there are the FAA rules where a crew cant work over so many hours. i hope you get to where you need to be.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:12 PM
Banned

My guess is that many airline crew's schedules are totally screwed up because of the weather. I would say you are among many many others going through the same thing and that it has nothing to do with USair.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:59 PM

2 Days ???
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:06 PM
Banned

have you seen the midwest lately?? and its NOT clearing up anytime soon. but as i said earlier, bumped (oversold flights, weight and balance issues etc) or delayed/cancelled
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:44 PM

You actually thought it necessary to lecture on the difference between bumped and cancelled. Semantics. My issue is with the 2 day time frame to get a new flight.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:49 AM
Banned

i KNOW. 2 days is crap. but you are stating that you are being bumped. AND if you are being bumped whether you are volunteering or not, your compensation is different than if you are being delayed/cancelled. just go to usairways.com and read the contract of carriage. either way they owe you something for your inconvience
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GREVE View Post
You actually thought it necessary to lecture on the difference between bumped and cancelled. Semantics. My issue is with the 2 day time frame to get a new flight.
As I have experienced, there is a big difference between "bumped" and "cancelled". If you're bumped...the flight goes, but you don't. If it's cancelled...no one goes.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:44 PM

Come on Greve, please use the term "bumped" correctly. If you were bumped means you don't have a seat or didn't have one at check in. Which means you are entitled to some kind of compensation. In your case your flight might have been cancelled, or you might have missed your flight and since the weather in the east and midwest is all screwy, all flights are full, which means no seat. Yea that's not getting bumped.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:25 AM

There was over 300 people sleeping in Portland Org. airport due to weather, friends in Seattle have been sledding and expecting more snow
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:57 AM

After the first 12 hours, I would have been calling Amtrak. I'm assuming your final destination is NOT in Hawaii or Alaska. Amtrak can have you in Florida, Atlanta, or Chicago in 24 hours, and Denver in 48 hours. And, for the equivalent of an airline first class fare, you can book a bed on all of these routes. Most Amtrak routes, east of the Mississippi, have defrosters (gas jets) on the switches, so then is no problem with freezing switches. Is that $99 fare worth THAT much aggravation??
Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:02 AM
Banned

Even Amtrak was not running in the Pacific Northwest.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:22 PM
Banned

Q: Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?A: He lay awake at night wondering if there really was a dog............................................... .................................................. .............................................warhammer online gold Maple story mesos swg credits SilkRoad gold maple story mesoshttp://www.warhammergold119.com