Had any problems with your baggage on US Airways?

Items stolen by baggage handlers from carry on

Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:29 PM
jessi9260 jessi9260 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009

I made a complaint to US Airways Baggage Resolution department about my things being stolen by one of their employees and was basically told they are not liable because they decided they are not. I was on a flight on January 7th from Detroit to Providence. My flight connected in Philadelphia . My first flight was an express flight and we were told we had to give our carry ons directly to the baggage handlers to put inside the storage compartment in the plane. The planes are small and cannot hold all the carry ons inside. It is the only time the bag was out of my sight. In the front pocket of my backpack I had my portable external hard drive and a wireless mouse. When I started to unpack the next day the only thing in the pocket was a package of peanuts, and the pocket was zipped when I got my bag so it did not fall out. I e-mailed the airline immediately and have yet to receive a reply, so I am already unimpressed with the customer service. I called eventually and was told to handle it through the mail with Baggage Resolution. I was forced to give my carry on, a bag intended to stay with a customer, to the baggage person. I was not offered anything so they are not concerned with keeping customers, and I am a frequent flyer. I not only lost my personal items in this situation but I can never recover the things on my hard drive. I sent them receipts of the items and it is clear what happened so they know the items exist and were not lost. I was offered nothing and basically told too bad so I take that to mean the airline encourages their employees to steal by not caring about these situations. I have no doubt that there was no investigation as to who was working that day and no kind of disciplinary action took place. I do not understand what makes the airline think they can type up a limitation of liability statement. They are liable because it is their problem if their employees are stealing, not mine. So it is their responsibility. U.S. Airways does not have the right to not accept liability when they either lose someones baggage or have employees who are stealing from customers. I did not sign anything agreeing to this disclaimer so I do not see how it can be valid. It is despicable to treat customers this way regardless and I will no longer fly with this airline, and neither will my family. I was offered anything, not even a ticket which costs just about nothing to the airline. So there is no concern about losing customers. With practices like this, this airline deserves to go under.

Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:29 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

I haven't looked at the contract of carriage regarding bags recently, but my thought is that it covers checked baggage, not carry-ons. I would think that although your bag was taken at the gate, it would still be a carry-on. Maybe someone could clarify this for me. I would keep everything you have on this and let U.S. Airways know that you intend to file in Small Claims. The worse thing that can happen is that you lose, but U.S. Airways would not win. They would have to send someone to court to defend their case and I doubt they would take the time nor spend the money.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:05 PM

If they took the bag into their care, they have some liability surely? Outrageous
Old Mar 14, 2009, 3:05 AM

Damn....I'm getting old or something. I saw those tags everyday for umpteen years and now can't remember what they say on them. If the process was done correctly, the OP was given a portion of the tag for claim purposes at the gate on arrival and the other portion was put on her carryon. I can't remember for sure but I thought on her portion of the tag it said something about not being liable. I could be wrong but I thought that it what it said.

I went to US Air's website and it only talked about being liable for checked luggage and didn't even mention carryons and liablity so it may be an uphill battle.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:32 AM

If you are given no choice and the airline issues a ticket, then it should not be acceptable for the airline to deny any liability. But since when has fairness been a factor in any airline's terms and conditions...?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:42 AM
ageo ageo is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009

Today I've transfered in Philadelphia, and during the customs pass, the case was perfect, but when arrived to my final destintation locks were forced and the case was semi-opened.

So there is a thief in Philadelphia Airport... it is clear.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:34 AM
Corbel Corbel is offline

if your locks were not the TSA approved locks then they will be forced open. checked bags (if you need to lock them) need to be TSA approved.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:51 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Originally Posted by ageo View Post

So there is a thief in Philadelphia Airport... it is clear.
Anytime you arrive from out of the country, your bags are screed by the TSA after you re-check them in customs. As stated, if they are not TSA locks, and the TSA needs to get inside, they will break the locks.

I will say, however that Philly is a thief haven, amongst all of the airlines.

As to the original post - If you hand your bag over, the normal baggage liability should apply, however that also means that electronics are not covered, so you will not be able to recover anything on this one.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
abutterfinger25 abutterfinger25 is offline
US Department of Transportation Employee

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington Metro Area

As to the original posters comment:
The carrier's liability statement is in the contract of carriage which you agree to at the time of purchase.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:41 AM
Inkedadeal Inkedadeal is offline

Join Date: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post
We should all be calling our congressmen right now. How ludicrous!

This is a matter of simple math:

a. TSA regulations limit passengers to one carry-on and one personal item.
b. Regulations limit the size of the carry-on.
c. Personal item is to be under the seat in front of you.

Accordingly, every overhead bin should be in a position to accommodate one carry-on for each passenger. The only exceptions are those poor souls in bulkhead that have no seat in front of them to store personal items, as well as the smaller overhead that contains the oxygen and safety demo items.

From my viewpoint, the air crew should be forced to check their bags at the gate if all passengers cannot get the bags on. Make everyone put the smaller item under the seat in front of them and ensure that as much overhead space as possible is available. When the airlines do everything that they can to ensure we can keep our carry-on bags with us, then we can talk about the contract of carriage.

For an airline to claim the contract of carriage and limitation of liability when they force the bag to be checked AND take no responsible action to prevent theft when the bags are in their possession is nothing short of criminal. When the TSA forces a passenger through a full-body search it makes the news- but when these violations happen to us from the airlines themselves, we are supposed to live with it?

We need regulations added to the Passenger Bill of Rights. If airline employees don't want that level of scrutiny and oversight, they should find other lines of work that may overlook theft. Good luck with that.

Baggage Problems stolen items from luggage genius Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 7 Jan 27, 2012 4:57 AM
Baggage Problems Terrible Baggage Handlers Mary Southwest Airlines Complaints 2 Jan 27, 2009 3:46 AM
Baggage Problems Items Stolen from Baggage back in August Chris323 Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 2 Mar 4, 2008 3:38 PM
Baggage Problems Stolen Items darden Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:48 PM
In-flight Issue stolen carry-on bags emma1231 American Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 8, 2007 2:04 PM