Executive Club / Premier Complaints

BA and chase credit card rip off

Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:49 PM
mchopra mchopra is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

British Airways, along with Chase Credit Card Company has misled the American Public with false advertising for their credit card.
Here is the evidence:
1. www.chase.com/britishairways is the URL for the credit card that British Airways is advertising.
2. A few months ago, their advertisement stated that if you subscribe to the card (which costs $95 a year); and spend a $ 5000 in 2 months - you would be entitled to a free ticket worth 25,000 miles.
3. I subscribed to the card and spent the required amount of money. I received an email from Chase informing me that I am now entitled to this ticket.
4. My girlfriend did the same thing and subscribed to her own card.
5. When we went to procure the "free" ticket, we were horrified to find out that BA had added $ 528.84 for taxes and 'fees'.
6. An economy class ticket on BA to London from Washington Dulles travelling in November 2011, was being quoted at approx. $ 720 on various websites including their British Airways. Those included all fees and taxes.
7. This then meant that the "free" ticket's value for getting their card, was actually less than $ 200 and after you deduct the cost of the card at $ 95 - the actual value of their ‘free’ ticket was $ 105.
8. In order to then 'select' a seat, which is normally standard for all airlines at no additional cost (including BA on their site) – because this was a ‘free’ ticket I had to pay an additional $ 60 for the seat!
9. So, the net savings for the "free" ticket that BA was advertising ended up at a whopping $ 45!!
If there was ever a false advertising and an intentional misleading of the public - this is a great example. This is a rip off and they need to be stopped and return the money.

Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:02 AM

Sooner or later peope are going to realise...all airline incentive schemes are scams. It is not worth it...these bogus fees are all part of the costs of a ticket. I would write to your Office of the State Attorney's Office, but this scam is so widespread you should not have too high expecations of a resolution.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
jeffm91 jeffm91 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011

A cautionary tale and note of assistance to all those who have suffered the misfortune of travelling with British Airways and experiencing their unique brand of so-called Customer Service:

BA are an unmitigated disgrace when it comes to customer service and they totally ruined our wedding and honeymoon travel.

My wife and I suffered an appalling trip at the hands of this company and Mr Keith Williams, CEO, and his management could not be more disinterested.

We suffered rubbish on the floor, rude and ignorant BA staff and no food in the Lounge at Gatwick. We had no working entertainment screens, broken seat tables, faulty seat controls, rude and ignorant cabin crew, burned food, an hour wait for dinner and another hour delay being served at breakfast; not to mention the insects, yes, insects, in the seat arm compartment. All this in First Class.

I suggest writing to the following in the hope you have better success than we did. We found emailing them daily was the fastest way to elicit a response. Start with an email to Mr Williams, copied to all. That should provide some response. Good luck.

[email protected].com
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:19 PM
Wanderlust333 Wanderlust333 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2013

British Airways has THE worst loyalty program EVER. My friend and I will be traveling together to Asia and back this winter on the same Cathay Pacific flights. He had 92,000 miles on American Airlines and I had 97,000 miles on British Airways. We booked through our respective reward programs simultaneously. AA, BA, and Cathay Pacific are all partner / alliance airlines, mind you. My friend was able to get the trip for 90K miles with $60 in taxes. British Airways required 112,500 miles for the same trip forcing me to buy 15,000 miles for $438 and then charged a whopping additional $329 in taxes. So bottom line: booking thru AA rewards program got my friend back and forth to Asia for just $60 while BA took $765 from me for the exact flight even though I had more reward miles in the bank than my friend. That is a difference of $700, folks!

I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but sadly BA pulled the same BS last fall when we traveled to Australia....yes 100,000 miles + an additional $800 give or take in "taxes". My friend booked the same trip thru his AA reward program and paid $30 in taxes. BA Executive Club is NOT a loyalty program...it's a disloyalty program. For 25 years, I have carried a BA credit card and used this as my "go to" card for all things large and small. I have purposefully travelled BA on transatlantic routes so that I might accrue more award miles. Sadly, what awaits Executive Club Members at the end of the day is chicanery and price-gouging.

To make matters worse... BA doesn't even have a mechanism in place whereby you can speak to a live person about issues such as these. You can speak to a reservationist (no help whatsoever) or resign yourself to sending a fax / email and then never hearing anything in response (which is what happened to me). The mailbox to their "customer service" line was "full" and gave no options to redirect or leave a message....lovely

So long, British Airways. Your Executive Club stinks like bad fish 'n chips with a mess of mushy peas. I'll be traveling the world instead with American Airlines and my new American Advantage credit card.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:36 PM

Only when large numbers of people behave as you do will this change. Well done for taking a stand. I hope you post the same post on their Facebook page.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:53 PM
anonymouscomments anonymouscomments is offline

Join Date: May 2013

I would agree that miles availability is poor and yes you do have to pay for taxes also and fuel sucharges. You are still saving money though. Even if you pay for your fare (not avios), to pre select seats in advance you will need to pay unless you either book a flexible ticket, are an executive club member (bronze or higher) or need to book for medical reasons eg wheelchair user. Im aware that there are going to be changes to how avios can be used which should have a) more availability and b) should be easier. BA are aware of availability and problems with it and are trying to improve this. I cant tell you the changes because its commercially sensitive but there are going to be changes. Im not posting this on behalf of BA but i do work in a call centre for them.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:29 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Originally Posted by Wanderlust333 View Post
AAMRQ is currently emerging from bankruptcy and/or merging with LCC and you are assuming that the customer loyalty program will remain unchanged ... what could possibly go wrong with this plan?

Reservations credit card charges larrydolly Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Sep 25, 2007 8:58 AM
Chase Bank is a horrible credit card company DeanL Rapid Rewards Complaints 0 Sep 11, 2007 2:49 AM