COMPLAINT: Qatar Airways

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:25 AM

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to log a complaint about an incident that cost me suspension of my ticket without any refund and disembarking in a foreign country which does not grant me a visa for entrance and the threat of getting deported back to my homeland where it has been declared as a danger zone due to ongoing violence. In addition to the moral and psychological effect for being poorly treated by Qatar airways assigned staff who had racist tendencies while addressing me. They also seemed highly incompatible and were unable to give clear information and did not have enough knowledge of the aviation standards, rules & regulations.

I was on flight 421 departing from Beirut (BEY) to Tbilisi (TBS) on the 31st of January 2013.

The first issue I wish to complain about is the delay which took away an hour of transit at Doha airport for me, where I was supposed to get rest from a 4 hour flight and was very close to missing my next flight. The plane arrived in Doha 6:55 am and the departure of the next connection flight is 7:55. Passengers were not allowed even 10 minutes of rest in the airport and had to wait for the shuttle bus on foot for around 10-15 minutes.

The second issue I wish to complain about is ambiguity and misleading information about the flight route. I had no idea the plane was to stop in Baku-Azerbaijan, it was neither on the flight schedule nor on the ticket.

The third thing I wish to complain about is the incident which took place in the flight from Doha to Tbilisi connecting through Baku.

I was accused of having smoked in the lavatory by your cabin crew. A supervisor came up to me and asked me to sign a piece of paper confessing the incident. I refused to sign anything till I knew what is at stake. I asked her to check the implications of this issue as it is my right to know if I am accused of breaking a certain rule there should be standard penalty set, which she had no idea about. The least of my civil humanitarian rights is to be able to know what is at stake if I break a rule and not get surprised with a penalty that I never anticipated. At a certain point I was under the impression that we agreed that she would check and let me know. As I was waiting in the plane I fell asleep, I got woken up by a man named Yashar who is your representative in Azerbaijan airport; he did not respect the fact that I was asleep and startled me trying to wake me up. The representative asked me for my passport, took it and disappeared. As you know very well a passport is the property of the country that issues it and no one is to get hold of it or confiscate it unless a government official following rules. I started looking for the man who ran off with my passport he came back, I asked for my passport and was very disturbed about how he confiscated it based on nothing and all over a sudden I am being forced to leave the plane enter a country I do not know all by myself , stay in transit for 10 hours till the next plane to Tbilisi and lost my ticket value to Tbilisi, had to buy new tickets for me and my travel companion who was nice enough to stay with me and lost his ticket just for being a gentleman all based on suspicion of having smoked on board.

I believe my basic human rights were greatly violated up to this point (even serial killers know whether they could be facing a death penalty or a life sentence) and I did ask the supervisor to let me know about the possible penalties and she never did. I was treated as If I was 100% guilty criminal. Additionally, what does my nationality have to do with anything? This is the first question the supervisor asked me when she came to speak to me and I felt a great offense, I honestly believe that the captain's decision was not only based on rules & regulations it was also taken with a racist approach, otherwise, why would I be asked about my nationality. I have read several articles saying that Qatar airways are notorious in this domain. Furthermore, I wonder why your crew was so ambiguous and mysterious; they did not have clear signs written anywhere on the ticket or the website or somewhere in the plane that someone would be disembarked if they were suspected of having smoked.

So because of your inhumane and poorly informed staff I was caused great discomfort and offense. I lost days of my short holiday to Georgia and was late to get back to my job. I was almost going to get deported to my homeland suffering from escalating violence. I had to pay a lot of money in order to buy new tickets for flying to Tbilisi with my travel companion and flying back home after the trip was over. I was personally hurt as a human being and as a woman having to face such an outrageous experience alone.
I do not see the reason behind which all this happened, I have repeatedly seen it and heard of it on Qatar airways and other airlines when passengers broke rules they had to pay a penalty or got verbally warned. Why did the captain choose to be so aggressive towards me?

Regards,
S.A. M
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Did you smoke? Your post said you were accused of it but you never deny doing it?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:34 PM

Excuse me captain is this a joke ...

If you are here to kid around I am not ...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:50 PM

Well....did you?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:04 PM

She smoked. She didn't get away with it and she is arrogant enough to have thought she would. The rest is just guff
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sibabarada View Post
Excuse me captain is this a joke ...

If you are here to kid around I am not ...
Well your entire post is a joke. You talk about being 'accused' of smoking but you don't deny it as well. You talk about your 'basic humanitarian rights' to know the implications of your actions and yet you dont follow the 'basic humanitarian principles' to take responsibilities for your actions!

About the specifics in your post, there a few things you need to know:
- If you are caught in the act, the FA is NOT required to let you know about the implications. FAs are REQUIRED to follow the law and airline policies. If that means bring you a piece of paper, they do it. If you don't sign and they are required to de-plane you, they do that.
- You seem to have seen a bit too many criminal case shows (I do too). But I also know that many countries don't have a law about refusal against self-incrimination (by signing that paper, etc.)
- There is big difference between race and nationality. Further, knowing your nationality is very important from the legal perspective if you are found doing something illegal on an international flight.
- All airlines have a warning posted in the lavatory about not smoking. Most airlines (actually, all that I have been on) also mention the penalties (imprisonment and/or fine). Did you just miss it? I suspect that you were de-planed because of your refusal to sign the document (in which case, they would investigate the issue at the first port the airline lands).
- Finally, I couldn't resist arguing against this one - "even serial killers know whether they could be facing a death penalty or a life sentence". This is so NOT true. They are told that if they plead guilty, they MAY get a death penalty (in other words, the worst case scenario). Ultimately, the judge/jury decides what should be the penalty.

It's funny that all this would probably not have happened had you simply admitted to your mistake and apologized to the FA (instead of showing up aggressively). If you haven't understood it yet, it IS a big deal if you smoke on a flight.
A couple of years ago, I was on a flight where the FA caught someone smoking in the lavatory. The man apologized and was asked to pay a fine (after landing). That was the end of it. You could have been in a similar position, but you chose NOT to.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:40 AM

Dear Stonecold ...

Despite your rudeness... I am not going to comment on everyone else's so I'll let all your stupid heartless aggressiveness in which you replied to this post pass...

Would you kindly direct me to the source of your answer ??? I searched the net for penalties on suspicion of smoking and never found anything. And there was no where on the plane or the ticket where it said that you could be deplaned ... I did not even think of it is as an option ...These things never happened to me before..I am a very disciplined person and don't like breaking any laws as per say... And I did ask the supervisor to let me know of the implications whether I sign or don't sign this paper but she never let me know ...Besides the penalty is far too tough for the act itself I mean ok if someone smoked inthe middle of the plane then I can understand. But you are accusing someone and you are not even sure it was the...This is like killing someone because you think they stole an apple ... penalties should be reasonable and rational ...
Besides I am not a smoker all together ...
The woman did ask me to sign a piece of paper but I refused ...why should I ? Someone is accusing me of something based on suspicion I should sign it out of fear ? Why ?! How can someone judge and decide without being sure if you commited what they say you did or not. Maybe someone was smoking before me or immediately after me I don't know .. How should I know ?!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:48 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
She smoked. She didn't get away with it and she is arrogant enough to have thought she would. The rest is just guff
I don't appreciate your tone ...

And you have no right making statements as though they are fact ??

Why are you here ?

I posed this because I need help to know my rights ... it has nothing to do with arrogance or getting away with something ...it is now like I stole a bank and I want to get away with the money ?! I faced something and not sure what I should do about it ....

So if you are too stupid to understand this is my idiot's guide to you ...
If you have nothing useful to say ...shut up and get lost !!
This is insane ... I cannot believe the amount of agressivness people have towards each other for no apparent reason ...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:13 PM

ONCE AGAIN SIMPLE QUESTION! DID YOU SMOKE? Thi Requires A Yes Or No......SIMPLE.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sibabarada View Post
Dear Stonecold ...

Despite your rudeness... I am not going to comment on everyone else's so I'll let all your stupid heartless aggressiveness in which you replied to this post pass...

Would you kindly direct me to the source of your answer ??? I searched the net for penalties on suspicion of smoking and never found anything. And there was no where on the plane or the ticket where it said that you could be deplaned ... I did not even think of it is as an option ...These things never happened to me before..I am a very disciplined person and don't like breaking any laws as per say... And I did ask the supervisor to let me know of the implications whether I sign or don't sign this paper but she never let me know ...Besides the penalty is far too tough for the act itself I mean ok if someone smoked inthe middle of the plane then I can understand. But you are accusing someone and you are not even sure it was the...This is like killing someone because you think they stole an apple ... penalties should be reasonable and rational ...
Besides I am not a smoker all together ...
The woman did ask me to sign a piece of paper but I refused ...why should I ? Someone is accusing me of something based on suspicion I should sign it out of fear ? Why ?! How can someone judge and decide without being sure if you commited what they say you did or not. Maybe someone was smoking before me or immediately after me I don't know .. How should I know ?!
Firstly, Let's address the source issue:
Since you are unable to "search everywhere on the net", here's the 'Conditions of Carriage' from Qatar Airways website (just the relevant section, and bold/underlined for emphasis):

1. Unacceptable behaviour
If in our reasonable opinion you conduct yourself aboard the aircraft so as to endanger the aircraft or any person or property on board, or obstruct the crew in the performance of their duties, or fail to comply with any instructions of the crew, including but not limited to those with respect to smoking, alcohol or drug consumption or behave in a manner to which other Passengers may reasonably object, we may take such measures as we deem necessary to prevent continuation of such conduct, including restraint. You may be disembarked and refused onward carriage at any point and may be prosecuted for offences committed on board the aircraft.

4. Non-smoking flights
All Qatar Airways flights are non-smoking flights. Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the aircraft.

Further, try this google search "penalties for in-flight smoking" and see the results you get. People get anywhere from just a fine (~$2000) to max. 2yrs in-prison for smoking!

Secondly, you are either completely oblivious to your surroundings and have been living in a vacuum for the past 10-15 years OR you are just plain out lying.
Haven't you seen signs (like the one at the bottom of this post) on the flight. ALL flights have them ALL over the place.

Finally, did you even care to read my prior response? You seem to restate exactly the things that I refuted!