In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Dangerously tight quarters

Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:44 PM
CAROL99 CAROL99 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2013

While I understand that the cost of operating an airline has increased significantly due to fuel costs, etc. I cannot agree with Spirit's decision to make up for their low costs at the expense of customer comfort and safety to be truthful.
We flew last week from FLL to BWI and thankfully it was only just over a two hour ordeal. I am 5'8, my husband and son 6 feet tall. MY knees were literally jammed into the seat back in front of me. None of our seatbacks reclined...bad if you wanted it, but good as your kneecaps would have been smashed into your chest if the person in front of you could recline!
Being a former Flight Attendant for a major airline, I can say I consider this a safety hazard as well. Considering you are required to put your head down and do your best to grab your ankles in prep for an emergency landing....literally impossible with the seating arrangements on that flight. I am in decent shape and still had to stand up to bend down and get to my purse under the seat in front of me.
Also, the fact that bags can only weigh 40 pounds where most airlines are 50, plus the charge per bag, plus the charge for a carry on bag, plus, plus, plus....they might as well be a full service carrier and charge more per customer and have happier clients with repeat business.
I intend to follow up with the airlines, but I can honestly say I'll be happy to never fly with them again unless I am guaranteed a safer, more comfortable inflight experience.
Flight Attendants did their best and ground/check-in staff very friendly.

Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:00 PM

Spirit Airlines Knows Everyone Hates It, Really Doesn't Care

Just in the last week or so, Spirit Airlines has made a lot of people mad, what with denying a veteran dying of cancer a refund and then announcing it’ll charge $100 for some carry-on bags. But perhaps unsurprisingly, Spirit doesn’t really give a flying fig if you don’t like it or if it’s got a high number of customer complaints. It’s all about the money, see.

When told that Spirit has the highest number of customer complaints, CEO Ben Baldanza said, according to FoxNews.com, “That’s an irrelevant statistic.”

Irrelevant, eh? According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, Spirit totted up 8.27 complaints per 100,000 passengers in January. Coming in a distant second was United at 3.5 complaints per 100,000. Southwest seemed to please people, with 0.2 complaints per 100,000 fliers.

Again, those numbers do nothing to faze Baldanza — and he’s not afraid to say how much he just doesn’t care.

“If you ran a restaurant, and out of every 100,000 customers, 8 of them said they didn’t like your menu, would you change your restaurant?” he asked. “Why don’t we interpret that 99.92 of all customers have no complaints? Because that is what it says.”

Kate Hanni, executive director of Flyers Rights, a nonprofit consumer organization that represents U.S. airline passengers, agrees that Spirit isn’t in the practice of caring about passengers view of it.

“They’re the worst airline in the U.S.,” Hanni told FoxNews.com. “They put no money back into customer service, which is a black hole at Spirit.”

She says her organization probably gets around five times the amount of complaints pertaining to Spirit than any other domestic airline. We’ve seen our share of complaints against Spirit, as well, so that’s not too shocking.

“Spirit Airlines has a history of cruelty toward their passengers, but they continue to treat them like meat in a seat because their fares are so low they are confident people will continue to fly with them,” she continued. “But the fact is people are damaged by Spirit every day and Spirit Airlines just has a culture of ‘I don’t care.’ “

Don't follow up.....don't waste your time.

Last edited by The_Judge; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:17 PM
CAROL99 CAROL99 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2013

Makes sense they don't give a fig, since they have nothing on their web site for ANY form of feedback....positive or negative.
I went ahead and lodged a safety concern/complaint with FAA.
Likely there are thousands of unhappy customers who just don't take the time to formerly complain or feel "they deserve it" for flying the "cheap airlines" so shame on them for not letting the world and media, FAA...anyone know. Word of mouth is damaging for sure, but until Spirit gets slapped with a hefty fine from FAA or someone....they will continue treating us like trash eating goats.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:18 AM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by CAROL99 View Post
Flight Attendants did their best and ground/check-in staff very friendly.
When was the last time you were in Europe, and flew Ryanair. Mr. Baldenza has taken pages from their book on how to run a ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier). Their objective cram as many people in the aircrafts (I.E. 156 in the A319, 178 in the A320 and 220 in the A321) so that they can make the maximum amount of money possible. When you check luggage exactly how much stuff do you cram in your suitcase. 40lbs is generous.

dangerous, hidden fees, uncomfortable

In-flight Issue No air conditioning on flight 4558 requires plane to fly dangerously low! [email protected] Delta Air Lines Complaints 21 Oct 24, 2009 9:14 PM