Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:26 AM
whurled-perks whurled-perks is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007
Exclamation Overbooking FUN

Here is Northwest's latest overbooking technique: they will reroute your entire itinerary on multiple airlines without your knowledge or approval. And forget about compensation. On the surface this does not seem like a tremendous hardship until you realize the series of problems that follow.
1. Last minute rearrangements means splitting up your family in messed-up seating assignments.
2. Fill out another lost luggage report, your luggage is still on it's way to the original destination. We all love waiting a few days for our luggage.
3. You might be denied passage to your connecting flights because Northwest Airlines failed to provide proper boarding passes or follow proper protocol.
4. Get ready to wait in a number of check-in facilities with your fellow angry passengers.
5. There is a good chance you will miss your connecting flights. Without thought or investigation Northwest will blindly pick your new itinerary. Just for fun, lets try an international connection in LAX of 45 minutes. Within this time you need to clear customs, collect you luggage, find the next terminal, get new boarding passes and clear another security checkpoint. Your fellow passengers will ask you, why are you running like a freakin' idiot?
6. Jet lagged, tired, confused and angry. Not the best way to end a beautiful vacation.
Summary: All of this happened last month to me and my wife while flying from Newcastle England back home to Hawaii. Forget about expressing your frustrations with the customer service department, they have a huge backlog of similar complaints.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:29 AM
whurled-perks whurled-perks is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007
Smile Follow-up

NWA sent us a letter of apology. In my opinion, NWA employs many of the industry's best people. I know this snafu was not caused intentionally. But when employees and resources are stretched to the limit, problems will occur. I have to admit that there is a great amount of satisfaction being able to vent my frustrations on this public forum. Especially because I felt that my situation was being ignored by NWA. The most important lesson I have learned is the importance of keeping a journal that includes names, dates and times of everything. Individual consumers are powerless against these giant super-airlines. This forum is a great way to collect our experiences together. Thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:33 AM

Absolutely right.. and sadly NWA merged into Delta, which has one of the worst customer service attitudes of them all. These monolithic airlines are out of control.. and your experience is not at all uncommon. If you had booked at 45 minute turn around at LAX you would have been castigated and blamed. But they did it without your knowledge or approval. It is arrogant and disrespectful and the sooner they are re-regulated the better.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:37 AM

My ex-airline is NWA. Feel free to vent away at me as I haven't been vented on for over a year and a half. I really miss it. Wait first....I want to crack open my first beer of the day....................pfffffffffttttttttt. Okay........go ahead........
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:49 AM

Troy,
I used to travel NWA from London to Boston in the days when they were still called Northwest Orient!! I liked them then... but sadly, things have gone down hill. All the good staff have moved to the Far East!!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:49 AM

lol.....good one. Thanks for the inside compliment.