COMPLAINT: Emirates - stolen items from check-in baggage!!!

Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:35 PM

Join Date: Oct 2010

On an international flight from Dhaka, Bangladesh to New York, NY, several items totalling $1431.00 were stolen from my check-in baggage. Emirates Airlines sent me on a wild goose chase trying to recieve payment for my stolen goods.

To this day, they deny any responsibility for my claim and state that I did not follow the appropriate guidelines for filing a complaint. In reality, they sent me from hotline to hotline (aka: a number that is never picked up and leads you directly to a voicemail box. You can leave a message, but understand they will never return your call). I am not the only individual whom they have done this to.

Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:57 PM
rbangar rbangar is offline

Join Date: Nov 2010

Hi - sorry about your experience with Emirates. The same exact thing just happened to my dad flying Emirates from New York to Delhi. Have you made any progress dealing with Emirates? Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:22 PM

Join Date: Oct 2010

Unfortunately nothing has been resolved. Emirates has is stating that my claim was sent in too late and I never sent the appropriate documentation. All lies. My claim was "sent in late" only because they gave me the run around in hopes that they wouldn't have to pay me for my stolen items. Also, they ignored all my attempts to send them any claim!

I've filed a complaint with the BBB and have gone back and forth with Emirates at least three times to no avail. In my last correspondence with them, I told Emirates that I would be taking it upon myself to expose their rotten and underhanded customer service practices. Since then I have been trying.

Good luck to you and your father. They are a very nasty company that has no care for ethics and no idea what customer service is.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:39 PM
rbangar rbangar is offline

Join Date: Nov 2010

Thanks for letting me know. We are just starting to deal with them and going through similar issues. I will definitely ask them to send me a claim form learning from your experience. Good Luck.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:47 PM

Join Date: Oct 2010

Better yet, send a certified letter to them with all your claim - an inventory checklist with all items and purchase prices, a picture of your baggage, itinerary, tickets from the date(s) you travelled. I think that should be all. Send certified letters to multiple offices that you think are pertinent to baggage claims/loss. Also, fax/email and save EVERYTHING! I wish the best for you!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:55 AM
Cosrek Cosrek is offline

Join Date: Dec 2010

Suggest you visit local Emirates office & obtain email address of their customer affair department (Dubai head office) & write about your complaint for speedy action.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:47 AM
Researcher Researcher is offline

Join Date: Dec 2010
Send a message via Yahoo to Researcher

Farahnas and Cosrek: I am developing a Doctoral research on Mishandled baggage (see General Discussion- Mishandled Baggage Research ) Could you please, provide the airline complaint form you filled with the airline or send me an email to [email protected] and I will send a survey. The survey is very similarto the one you must file with the airline.
Thanks before hand
Researcher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:11 PM
rgpnz rgpnz is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Dear farahnas,

If contacting Emirates Airlines has failed, my recommendation would be to file a formal complaint with the Department of Economic Development, Government of Dubai. They take consumer complaints seriously and as it is a government body and Emirates is a Govt of Dubai airline, you are most likely to have a resolution. I understand that this seems like an extraordinary step so the decision lies with you whether to file a formal complaint. Below please find the links you require.

Department of Economic Development, Government of Dubai:

Government of Dubai Unified Customer Complaints Portal (eComplain):

For your reference, please find a link to a list of Dubai Consumer Rights which is issued by the Dept of Economic Development:

I wish you best of luck and a speedy resolution to this issue.

Baggage Problems Stolen Items from my Baggage djavaxk1970 Delta Air Lines Complaints 4 Jun 17, 2010 9:34 PM
Baggage Problems Items stolen from GATE CHECKED baggage Inkedadeal United Airlines Complaints 23 Jul 10, 2009 5:37 PM
Baggage Problems Items stolen by baggage handlers from carry on jessi9260 Baggage Problems 9 Jun 4, 2009 12:41 AM
Baggage Problems Items Stolen from Baggage back in August Chris323 Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 2 Mar 4, 2008 3:38 PM
Baggage Problems Stolen Items darden Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:48 PM